Roster Notes vs strength of top of draft | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Roster Notes vs strength of top of draft

The Pats and Pack have picked OL at the bottom of round 1 because they could afford to. we can not. They have maybe 2 guys taken in round 1 on their OL, if we were to go DeCastro or Martin or Reiff in round 1 that would be 4 guys on one unit with first round pedigree.

that's way too much on a team with few playmakers

what really galls me about the Parcells/Sparano mentality is that they'll tell you they liked Jimmy Graham but not ahead of a right guard named John Jerry, You almost get the feeling they'd make the same pick all over again because it fits their philosophy.

it's a outdated philosophy that might have worked in the 80's but doesn't work now. We've had a series of administrations from Wannstedt to the current dopes who've passed on Drew Brees (twice) Jimmy Graham, Connor Barwin, and a whole host of better players because they weren't offensive linemen or didn't fit their outdated draft criteria.

when do we get a TE who can threaten defenses like the Pats, Pack and Saints have? Or a QB who can make plays when things break down?

The O-line first philosophy has hurt this team and its time to get a HC and unit coach who can do better w.o three or four first round picks up front

It is apparent that when Moore got protection he played well and the TE's became a factor in the offense .. In this upcoming draft (2012) there is NOT a TE worthy of a top 8-12 pick .. I'm sorry I don't agree in drafting a player just to draft a player WHO a FAN thinks is a play maker!!! DeCastro is widely considered to be 1 of the best OG prospects to come out of the college ranks in a very long time ... all too often the protection broke down during late game attempts to come back ... It's very obvious the O-line NEEDS another stud on the inside .. Decastro fit's the bill ... the only 2 play makers I'd draft between 8-12 would be Blackmon or Claiborne .. no one else!!! and both will probably be gone ...

I believe Davis was drafted as a tackle and shifted to guard later in his career with Dallas.

yes and no. He spent his first 3 seasons at guard then was kicked out to LT (which was the plan from the beginning). People forget that in the past, teams always would draft guys at tackle, but season them at guard, before pushing them to LT... or they'd play RT before being pushed over.

But we are not drafting a guard in the top 10.

You know what's brilliant, Jimmy? Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. So go ahead and draft DeCastro at #8 and see what it gets you.

Also brilliant is telling us in December that all the playmakers will likely be gone when we pick. Genius stuff.

You're a really smart guy, Jimmy. No wonder you advocate taking guards with the #8 overall selection. That's brilliant. DeCastro will catch tons of TD's and get lots of sacks, And to think, we all thought he was a right guard.

Colin Lindsay of Great Blue North Draft Report must be a really big dummy as well:

http://www.gbnreport.com/2012projection.html

Funny, I still haven't seen a mock draft anywhere with a TE going in the first round, much less ahead of DeCastro. Maybe I should take a look at another draft site- galacticallystupiddraft.com. I'm thinking that's the best bet to find a mock draft that has a TE going ahead of DeCastro in the upcoming draft.

I'd do everything in my power to trade up for Andrew Luck or Matt Barkley. But if the top qb's are off the board, I might go Michael Floyd. The guy is a force, a great red-zone threat and would make it very hard for opposing defenses to key on only Brandon Marshall in the red zone. Two legit #1 receivers in an era when passing the ball is the way to win makes sense to me. Also, if I'm Miami's GM I love Marshall on the field but have to be concerned that he could pull a Ricky Williams off the field. Take Marshall out of the lineup and you've got Hartline and Bess and trouble scoring points. Even more of an argument for adding another top flight receiver. Trade back in to the first and get Ryan Tannehill or take Brandon Weeden in round 2.

What playmaker would you draft, say #8-12? Which playmaker- who will be available there- is worth the pick? I don't care if Jerry was taken in the 3rd round, 1st round or 57th round- he's been a bust so far. Carey is adequate, Colombo still sucks. The point is, what player at #s 8-12 offers a need/value proposition? I think to avoid that issue would be, as you say, "stupid, flat out dumb". And to me, the player likely to be available there who most offers a need/value proposition is David DeCastro.

Are you watching the game today? How many sacks do the Eagles have so far? ? How does Miami look on 3rd or 4th and short? Looks to me that we sure could use some OL, playmakers, take your pick. But if I have to choose between David DeCastro and Alshon Jeffery for example, I'm taking DeCastro. Michael Floyd would at least make me think twice aobut it. So again, if you're picking at say #8, who do you take? And you can forget about Blackmon or Claiborne, they'll be long gone.

My focus as to this draft has been and will continue to be Brandon Weeden. Weeden aside, I'm looking for value in the 1st round, with an eye on need. To do otherwise would be, in my opinion, "stupid, flat out dumb".
Courtney Upshaw.

"good teams" don't draft a G in the top 10" because "good teams" pick in the mid-late 20s.

What would be interesting to see though is how present day "good teams" and organizations like NE, Balt, Pitt, GB have historically drafted (need vs BPA) in the first round in rebuilding years.

Throw in the luck (or is it just great scouting) that may bring you a Brady or
a Rodgers.

I'm all for drafting impact skill positions. I'm tired of mediocrity as much as the next finfan, but I'd take deCastro (read no other guard in this draft) before any TE. I'd consider Floyd before Castro as that's a risk that'd be worth taking. We
can pick up a solid TE in the second and maybe even in the third (where a value of Castro won't be there).

Both are need positions, and I'd say of equal need), so in a draw you have to choose the value pick in that case, which would be Castro over any TE in this draft.

But in the end it all depends on the teams big draft board and where they have players graded (which is what really scares me).

I agree with you Jim that you can't keep doing he same thing and expect different results. I think the asterisk here is that the Dolphins not only have a prehistoric philosophy on drafting, but are horrid
At evaluating (and developing) talent. If they weren't so bad in that department, I'd be more comfortable
Taking a risk with a lower rated player (eg TE in this draft).

I'm a firm believer in finding guards in the middle-rounds and avoiding the scenario where you're tempted to draft an interior offensive lineman too high in the 1st round.

However, I reserved an exception for David DeCastro during his sophomore season.

The value of DeCastro's position simply isn't a cornerstone position, but DeCastro is a cornerstone talent. He's more rare at his position than Andrew Luck is at his.

I haven't seen an offensive lineman as flawless and dominant as DeCastro in many years. Whoever gets him is getting the best offensive lineman in the country for 2 years running, regardless of position.

As for Mark Barron, he's a S/S, not a F/S.

I am not usually a fan of a tailback in the 1st round especially high in the 1st round but Trent Richardson is probably the best tailback I've seen since Adrian Peterson, for whatever that's worth. He's going to have a HIGH impact for whichever team drafts him.

Given that the defense has turned itself around in a pretty big way, it's interesting to take a look at what this team needs other than quarterback.

You really have to get Paul Soliai back. It all starts with him up front, IMO. Incidentally, when the hell did Phil Merling become the next Shane Burton? Not entirely relevant, but interesting nonetheless. I love Randy Starks and Jared Odrick has started to play really well this year. Kendall Langford plays a good role on the defense.

I'm not crazy about Tony McDaniel, I thought he only had the year he had in 2010 because he wanted to get paid in the off season, he got that money and now he's not looking as good again. Then again if I remember the contract he signed, 2012 will be another contract year for him so once again his motivation will be sky high and he'll probably have another good year. For that reason alone I think it would be foolish to part with him or replace him.

Despite his Shane Burton-ness, I think it's about time for Phil Merling to exit stage right.

Hard to say if Kevin Burnett just needed time to get chemistry with Karlos Dansby, or if he's just going through a good streak...but he's played well the last 7 games and between he and Dansby it's good enough that it makes me want to potentially keep the 3-4 and keep those two on the inside of it. And Cameron Wake of course should always have a spot.

I think that Sean Smith is finally ready to take over the free safety job. You can keep him at corner if you've got the safety position nailed down and you lack depth at corner, but I'm not sure that's the situation Miami is in. He was new to the defensive side of the ball when Miami drafted him, had only been playing there for 2 years. He's not new to it anymore. That interception he had against Michael Vick while covering Brent Celek, I think he could potentially do that a lot as a free safety. And I think he's a communicator. Finding a free safety with his hips and his range isn't easy to do. The only problem is it opens up a big hole at corner and you have to be certain you can fill it. Is Jimmy Wilson that guy? Do you sign or draft someone? It's an option I would like to explore.

Vontae Davis though...I'm not sure if this guy is salvageable or not. Another week, another game he lets up big completions and even worse, can't stay on the field. What's concerning is that just when you think the coaching staff had gotten through to him and exorcised the Vontae-ness that made him so inconsistent and at times unreliable at Illinois...he regresses. I'm not saying you cut him or anything, but at this point, the dashboard warning lights are going on...and between he and Sean Smith's potential move to safety, that makes the all-important cornerback position probably the position on defense that still needs the most work.

Will Allen I've been very happy with as our slot corner, the whole year. Consummate pro. Should never have cut him and I see absolutely no reason to part with him in 2012. I'm glad to see he genuinely put the injuries behind him. He could even resume a starting job if Miami finds a slot cornerback worth a damn (Jimmy Wilson?).

If for whatever reason you're looking at a position other than QB at #7 overall...then I think Quinton Coples or Courtney Upshaw should probably be the main guys you look at, with an outside possibility of Alfonzo Dennard.

decastro is terrific...sure looks like a once every decade guard talent to me...so even though i think #7 is a little rich there i'd be ok throwing him in the mix for consideration with coples and upshaw if qb is not to be with our top pick...

in some ways i think courtney upshaw at #7 is a little rich also...just cause i don't think he's one of those guys who's gonna test off the charts or wow you with his workouts etc...but i see an awful lot of lamar woodley when i watch him...very powerful strength player...very strong hands...

talent wise though i think ideally he falls somewhere in the teens...not top 10

I'd take DeCastro in the top 10 before I'd take any of these tackles in the top 10. Kalil has long been the best of that lot, but when I compare him to what makes a left tackle worthy of a top 10 pick in my opinion, he's just on the outside looking in.

1. Barkley

2. Claiborne

3. Blackmon

4. Upshaw

5. DeCastro

That's basically how I'd be looking at it if I'm picking between the 6-8 range. I'm drafting vertically at that spot, and in that order.

I think all three of us are in agreement that Dave DeCastro is a special player and if Miami satisfied the QB position in some other manner I'm not shedding a tear over taking DeCastro at #7 overall.

Not a particularly inspiring position pick to me, but an inspiring player. Actually, a lot like the Pouncey pick which I gave a C grade because I hated the position choice/need but loved the player and predicted he'd be better than his brother which IMO he has been already even as a rookie.

in some ways i think courtney upshaw at #7 is a little rich also...just cause i don't think he's one of those guys who's gonna test off the charts or wow you with his workouts etc...but i see an awful lot of lamar woodley when i watch him...very powerful strength player...very strong hands...

talent wise though i think ideally he falls somewhere in the teens...not top 10

I see what you're saying, but personally I'm not going to worry about a player that should have the kind of impact he does, especially now that the rookie wage scale got slammed into place.

I'd take DeCastro in the top 10 before I'd take any of these tackles in the top 10. Kalil has long been the best of that lot, but when I compare him to what makes a left tackle worthy of a top 10 pick in my opinion, he's just on the outside looking in.

1. Barkley

2. Claiborne

3. Blackmon

4. Upshaw

5. DeCastro

That's basically how I'd be looking at if I'm picking between the 6-8 range. I'm drafting vertically at that spot, and in that order.

...wow. That's almost exactly I'd have it although I'd swap out DeCastro for Coples, and I'd personally just assume not even get my hopes up about Blackmon or Claiborne being there.

Back
Top Bottom