Ryan to Rebuilding Clubs: How Convenient | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ryan to Rebuilding Clubs: How Convenient

mnphinfan

Lifelong Fin Fan
Club Member
Reaction score
This was taken from a conference call with the South Florida media.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/4319/ryan-to-rebuilding-clubs-how-convenient

"I want to win now," Ryan said. "Every team in the league should want to win now. In my opinion it’s a copout for any team to say, 'We’ve got a four-year program.' Well, how convenient. Your contract is four years, or whatever. To me, I don’t see how that's justified.

"Every team in the league has the same amount of money, the same resources. So why shouldn't you go for the same goal? We’re going for the Super Bowl championship. If people say that’s ridiculous, I think it’s ridiculous you should have any other goal in mind."

The problem with this mentality is he is mortgaging the future when he really doesn't have the team to win now. I say mortgaging the future because the Jets GM openly stated Edwards won't be given a contract extension, and barring an uncapped year in 2010, which I don't believe will happen Edwards will be a free agent. Now some nay sayers will say what can you get with a 3rd and 5th round draft choice. I will tell you to look at our very own roster.

I actaully think this trade is going to help the Dolphins in the long run.
The Jets are going to rent Edwards for 1 year and come next years draft they won't have a 3rd or 5th rounder to show for it. Not a very good idea considering the lack of depth the Jets have on their team right now.

yeah im glad hes going there... cant wait till he drops an important pass monday night :lol:

hes an average receiver... maybe he can step it up, but hes FAR down the list of WRs in the AFC east id be afraid of...

we shut down Lee Evans and TO with Edwards at QB, now we're supposed to be afraid of Braylon Edwards with Mark Freakin Sanchez??????

After watching Mendal24's thread of Sanchez's throws against the Saints I am alot less worried about the Jets getting Edwards. Edwards has proven he is a suspect pass catcher and with Sanchez's inability to throw consistently I don't see those two developing a very good chemistry.

I really dislike Rex Ryan. He's flying high right now, but a tub of lard can't stay in the air forever.

This board has done wonders to lift my spirits this week. The comedy that has been posted, you just can't buy laughter like this. I truly thank all of the posters who have made me laugh all week.

There is about zero chance that Edwards doesn't resign with the Jets. They are not going to let him walk after just trading for him unless he does something really stupid between now and then. He is set to become a RFA if the two sides don't come to an agreement on the CBA.

Mike T said they didn't have any plans to give him an extention RIGHT NOW.

This was taken from a conference call with the South Florida media.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/4319/ryan-to-rebuilding-clubs-how-convenient

"I want to win now," Ryan said. "Every team in the league should want to win now. In my opinion it’s a copout for any team to say, 'We’ve got a four-year program.' Well, how convenient. Your contract is four years, or whatever. To me, I don’t see how that's justified.

"Every team in the league has the same amount of money, the same resources. So why shouldn't you go for the same goal? We’re going for the Super Bowl championship. If people say that’s ridiculous, I think it’s ridiculous you should have any other goal in mind."

The problem with this mentality is he is mortgaging the future when he really doesn't have the team to win now. I say mortgaging the future because the Jets GM openly stated Edwards won't be given a contract extension, and barring an uncapped year in 2010, which I don't believe will happen Edwards will be a free agent. Now some nay sayers will say what can you get with a 3rd and 5th round draft choice. I will tell you to look at our very own roster.

I actaully think this trade is going to help the Dolphins in the long run.
The Jets are going to rent Edwards for 1 year and come next years draft they won't have a 3rd or 5th rounder to show for it. Not a very good idea considering the lack of depth the Jets have on their team right now.

this is a joke. you really think that mike tannenbaum is gonan start negotiating a new contract with the media the day the trade is made? and maybe you guys have never heard of this...but it's called the franchise tag. it's how teams keep players form getting away for nothing.

This board has done wonders to lift my spirits this week. The comedy that has been posted, you just can't buy laughter like this. I truly thank all of the posters who have made me laugh all week.

Dont worry, we'll do the exact opposite comes tuesday morning...

You can't really think Edwards is going to help you that much this week or this year for that matter. If you do I wish I lived in your world. It takes time for a QB and WR to develop a relationship. I will give you that it will happen, but probably not for 3-4 weeks. It is then the middle of the season. So you are telling me you are happy that your FO decided to trade a 3rd and 5th round draft choice, your best special teams player and your #2 receiver for a player who may honestly be able to help you for at most 8 weeks (if no CBA is reached because your GM already said a contract extension won't be offered).

Also, there is no way you are anywhere near a SB calliber team. You don't have the QB or the running game. I am not saying we have a SB team but lets be clear a spade is a spade and you don't have a SB calliber team.

The attitude that the present is the most important and the future doesn't matter gets a lot of coaches fired. Look what that kind of attitude did for guys like Wannstedt and Saban. Heck, the Redskins have had that attitude for years, and how well has that worked out for them? The Jets are trying to buy a Super Bowl instead of building a long term team that will ultimately improve their chances of getting to the big game.

The Jets look better on paper and probably win more games this year and maybe next year because of the moves they are making instead of building through the draft and taking things slower. Three years down the road, Ryan will be fired and the Jets will be in shambles. Today the Jets look scarier, a couple of years from now? Laughing stock of the league. Book it.

The attitude that the present is the most important and the future doesn't matter gets a lot of coaches fired. Look what that kind of attitude did for guys like Wannstedt and Saban. Heck, the Redskins have had that attitude for years, and how well has that worked out for them? The Jets are trying to buy a Super Bowl instead of building a long term team that will ultimately improve their chances of getting to the big game.

The Jets look better on paper and probably win more games this year and maybe next year because of the moves they are making instead of building through the draft and taking things slower. Three years down the road, Ryan will be fired and the Jets will be in shambles. Today the Jets look scarier, a couple of years from now? Laughing stock of the league. Book it.
Your post makes no sense considering Edwards is 26 years old and the Jets are a pretty young team built for the long haul. Your post comes across as wishful thinking IMO. I undertsand, If I was a Phins fan I would be scared too considering the Jets have the most talent in the division and finally a coach that knows how to use it.

i luv ya nub, but the diff between RR & DW/Satan is he's actually trying to GET guys into his program, not avoid them! DW/Satan both whiffed on Brees, over spent on 'the next Marino' constantly, sh*tted away high draft picks and left our cupboards bare. i like RR's attitude...frankly, it's Belichickian...if your team has a championship, the players on it will always be highly regarded each fa offseason; meaning, dance partners will cue up with picks or trade offers for you. imo BP needs to get some 21st-cent thinking about this league before it DOES pass him by. fire back -

PS, on your last point...the same was said of Belichick in '98/'99...his teams are still dominating a decade later.

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol2:

ALMOST as comic as someone making over 11 thousand posts, avg 5.5posts/day on an enemy forum, most of which were made even before he wore out his welcome with gaggreen? (Cause you gotta admit, THAT's either pretty ****ing hysterical or pathetic.. so being PC, we'll just go with a case of "the funnies."):hi5:!

this is a joke. you really think that mike tannenbaum is gonan start negotiating a new contract with the media the day the trade is made? and maybe you guys have never heard of this...but it's called the franchise tag. it's how teams keep players form getting away for nothing.

I don't know what the Jets salary cap looks like for next year, but I have heard it isn't good. Will you have enough money under the cap to franchise him?

Also, with all the raucus Edwards made in Cleveland about wanting a new contract and not being respected how do you think he is going to handle getting the franchise tag. I am just wondering because this may be a huge head ache down the road.

Back
Top Bottom