Saban's Book - Tyson, Bradshaw & Ricky | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Saban's Book - Tyson, Bradshaw & Ricky

Finland

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I manage and motivate people basically so I find examples in sports very interesting.

If the media allows us to see it, Coach Saban's tactics should be very interesting to see. Both dealing with situations (R Williams, Boston) and also the motivation of a team that has shown it does not always believe in itself in recent years. I found this article on a boxing site and it reminded me of what Ricky will be dealing with. IF Ricky plays with the team it will be interesting to see how he is handled, (not just wether he can be handled) by Saban. Here are some other figures that have delt with similar (mental) issues.

...........But according to Tyson (who is now receiving mental coaching), most of his problems as a young man stemmed from clinical depression, an affliction he realized he suffered from while watching Terry Bradshaw talk about his battle with the disease on HBO's "Real Sports."

"I was always embarrassed to tell people and then I saw Terry Bradshaw, a man's man, a real tough guy, and he was crying on television, and I started crying, too," Tyson said. "People would look at me, big strong guy, always acting tough all the time, and they think that's how I'm supposed to be all the time, but in reality, I'm really kind of a docile guy. I didn't know why I was mad at people all the time or why I wanted to slug people.
-----
Thought it was interesting because of the Bradshaw reference. I have read shula's book on coaching...can someone tell me what Saban's is called? Is it about coaching philosophy or just story telling?

Finland said:
I manage and motivate people basically so I find examples in sports very interesting.

If the media allows us to see it, Coach Saban's tactics should be very interesting to see. Both dealing with situations (R Williams, Boston) and also the motivation of a team that has shown it does not always believe in itself in recent years. I found this article on a boxing site and it reminded me of what Ricky will be dealing with. IF Ricky plays with the team it will be interesting to see how he is handled, (not just wether he can be handled) by Saban. Here are some other figures that have delt with similar (mental) issues.

...........But according to Tyson (who is now receiving mental coaching), most of his problems as a young man stemmed from clinical depression, an affliction he realized he suffered from while watching Terry Bradshaw talk about his battle with the disease on HBO's "Real Sports."

"I was always embarrassed to tell people and then I saw Terry Bradshaw, a man's man, a real tough guy, and he was crying on television, and I started crying, too," Tyson said. "People would look at me, big strong guy, always acting tough all the time, and they think that's how I'm supposed to be all the time, but in reality, I'm really kind of a docile guy. I didn't know why I was mad at people all the time or why I wanted to slug people.
-----
Thought it was interesting because of the Bradshaw reference. I have read shula's book on coaching...can someone tell me what Saban's is called? Is it about coaching philosophy or just story telling?
"How good do you want to be?"
Great book. It's not at all about coaching or stories, it's a motivational book that maps out the road to success (be it on the field or at work). Of course, the book mentions a lot of football stories and personal stories but it's all to make a point about how to "create a winning attitude". I recommend it, good stuff.

Back
Top Bottom