Seam threat | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Seam threat

royalshank

Not a Game-Changer
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Seeing a lot of talk about how we need a seam threat for our passing game - names like Keller and Pitta are coming up. Just curious what we think that means for Charles Clay? Is the consensus that he can't be that guy? What happens with him if that's the case?

I really like Charles Clay in the passing game. I think he can be that guy. I think he is that TE.

I don't think Clay is that guy. He has some speed but isn't big enough to out muscle the high-point in traffic or fast enough to beat DB's and doesn't have a knack for finding the soft spots in zones. He is only average at catches over his shoulder. Sadly, the only potential seam threat TE currently on our roster is Egnew, and he isn't reliable.

Clay can be that weapon if we actually have legit WRs that draw coverage. The few plays he made were for some decent chunck yardage if I recall. I would like to see him used more than he currently is.

We don't know what Egnew is yet, he had a rough rookie year and didn't see any action. Maybe the light comes on this year. Personally I'd pick up Finley or Bennett and allow Egnew and Clay to develop.

When I look at Charles Clay I don't see a tight end. There is no doubt in my mind that he has skills to play in the NFL I just think he's playing out of position. I think a more natural fit would be a fullback. His frame seems to be a better fit there . The only question there would be whether or not he could pick up his blocking assignments. If so just think about it, having two tight ends that can threaten the middle of the field as well as Clay coming out of the backfield from the fullback position. That would give us an added dimension sense well… When have we had such a threat?

Anyway just a thought, an idea that's been floating around in my head we drafted in his rookie.

Clay needs to improve his blocking and be a Keith Byars type pass catching fullback. Byars played TE for a short period in Philadelphia. Unfortunately I don't see Clay as the answer to our seam threat problem.

Back
Top Bottom