Secondary depth....I like it! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Secondary depth....I like it!

dcm

Starter
Reaction score
Even with the departure of Brock and T-Buck....

looking over our current roster in the secondary, I really like what I see!

Of course Surtain is the man, and I still think Sam has enough left in the tank to be an elite corner again......

Reggie Howard can ball and the younger cb's have shown enough to warrant a roster spot (Roundtree and Banks). And even Will Poole as a rookie should be a factor....

And the even our safety position has solid depth.....Knight, Freeman, Edwards, Akins....

I for one am looking forward to much improvement from our defensive backfield!

I agree our Defensive Backfield should be a strength in the upcoming season. While I scoffed at Wannstedt's statement that this will be the best defensive unit ever, more because because I get tired of his own self promition, I think the Defensive Unit should be very good. :D

I saw Edwards and Howard close up. They sure are some littler fellers, IMO. but they're pretty fleet afoot tho and I like what I've seen form both of them. Them along with Poole = no drop off! ;) Even without really "addressing" the d side as much, they SHOULD be a better unit this yr.

Don't forget about Yeremiah Bell. He could very well end up your starter. I think he makes this team. The question will be whether we carry 5 CBs or 5 safeties. And Akins probably makes it for special teams (a huge focus this year). So we could have Freeman, Edwards, and Bell battling for two spots. Then again, we entered last season with 10 DBs. So it could be a moot point.

Either way, I think this is the year Shawn Wooden doesn't make it.

Don't forget about Yeremiah Bell. He could very well end up your starter. I think he makes this team. The question will be whether we carry 5 CBs or 5 safeties. And Akins probably makes it for special teams (a huge focus this year). So we could have Freeman, Edwards, and Bell battling for two spots. Then again, we entered last season with 10 DBs. So it could be a moot point.

Either way, I think this is the year Shawn Wooden doesn't make it.

I agree with you, Wooden has stood out and made the least of any of our potential safety's, and I think the Dolphins would rather go with some untested potential instead of what they know they get with Wooden. Do you attend any camps Muck?

Our secondary depth has always been solid. One of our strong points. Now over the past two years It continues to improve. I guess the coaches are saying, minimize the big passing plays.

a great secondary will only make the D-line that much better, please sign O-gun!! With the apparant upped importance of the special teams, I think that this could be a good year for the Fins. Special teams usually don't lose games, but they can put a few "undeserved" or "cheap" W's up on the board. T-Buck and Brock were non-factors in special teams, good to have Akins who can do both.

pigskinguy said:
But does anyone else here NOT want Freeman to start?

I want the best player to start. I could care less who it is.

Finsflurry said:
Do you attend any camps Muck?

I used to go all the time when I lived in the area. But nowdays it's harder. I usually make it down for a few consecutive sessions during training camp.

Muck said:
I want the best player to start. I could care less who it is.
I just don't think it Freeman. He was given the starting job before and wasn't good enough, and now it seems he will be given every chance again. I just think the FO is seriously overrating this guy. Or they just don't want to admit they were wrong about him.

pigskinguy said:
I just don't think it Freeman. He was given the starting job before and wasn't good enough, and now it seems he will be given every chance again. I just think the FO is seriously overrating this guy. Or they just don't want to admit they were wrong about him.
It was a different position. When he last started for us he played SS. He is now battling for the FS spot. Big difference in terms off responsiblities and prototypical size. He fits in the FS spot much better.

Back
Top Bottom