Senior Bowl notes | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Senior Bowl notes

jim1

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
While North squad center's Alex Mack and Max Unger got all the hype, I was impressed by South squad interior linemen Tyrone Green (Georgia) and Antoine Caldwell (Alabama). I don't know if it was the fact they weren't going against the Boston College boys B.J. Raji and Ron Grace in practice, or whether that was a knock on Ole Miss DT Peria Jerry and USC DT Fila Moala, but Green (who is a bit unpolished) and Caldwell held their ground better than Mack and Unger when pads went on. It'll be interesting to see how they perform against Raji and Grace during the game.

After watching the defensive ends and potential hybrid linebackers for a 3-4 scheme I can understand why the Dolphins signed CFL standout Cameron Wake, giving him third-round money I'm told. Based on what I hear about Wake I personally think he has more upside than every Senior Bowl defensive end the Dolphins might convert into that 3-4 standup outside linebacker.

Each player had some issue that was troublesome, like Virginia's Clint Sintim seeming too stiff. The best of the bunch to my eyes was Northern Illinois Larry English, but I'd need to watch his film and see how he does at the combine to give him the stamp of approval to make that difficult transition from college DE to 3-4 OLBer. What I like is his explosion, but he needs some polishing technique wise. Sintim to me moved too mechanically, and everyone else seemed a bit small, stiff, or raw.

As I said in my previous blog I'd experiment with Clay Matthews as a inside linebacker, but I'm confident he would be successful at any position. Richmond's Lawrence Sidbury has speed to burn, and might be a late round gem.

For what the Dolphins are looking for my favorite receiver is Patrick Turner, who wasn't special, but was steady. I'm not sold on USC receiver considering how many have been busts in the NFL, especially the big wons, but the Dolphins have more than enough smurfs. I like Mohamed Massaquoi's athleticism, but didn't seen enough of him at practice because he suffered an ankle sprain and was sidelined.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2009/01/mobile-memorables-part-2.html

While North squad center's Alex Mack and Max Unger got all the hype, I was impressed by South squad interior linemen Tyrone Green (Georgia) and Antoine Caldwell (Alabama). I don't know if it was the fact they weren't going against the Boston College boys B.J. Raji and Ron Grace in practice, or whether that was a knock on Ole Miss DT Peria Jerry and USC DT Fila Moala, but Green (who is a bit unpolished) and Caldwell held their ground better than Mack and Unger when pads went on. It'll be interesting to see how they perform against Raji and Grace during the game.

After watching the defensive ends and potential hybrid linebackers for a 3-4 scheme I can understand why the Dolphins signed CFL standout Cameron Wake, giving him third-round money I'm told. Based on what I hear about Wake I personally think he has more upside than every Senior Bowl defensive end the Dolphins might convert into that 3-4 standup outside linebacker.

Each player had some issue that was troublesome, like Virginia's Clint Sintim seeming too stiff. The best of the bunch to my eyes was Northern Illinois Larry English, but I'd need to watch his film and see how he does at the combine to give him the stamp of approval to make that difficult transition from college DE to 3-4 OLBer. What I like is his explosion, but he needs some polishing technique wise. Sintim to me moved too mechanically, and everyone else seemed a bit small, stiff, or raw.

As I said in my previous blog I'd experiment with Clay Matthews as a inside linebacker, but I'm confident he would be successful at any position. Richmond's Lawrence Sidbury has speed to burn, and might be a late round gem.

For what the Dolphins are looking for my favorite receiver is Patrick Turner, who wasn't special, but was steady. I'm not sold on USC receiver considering how many have been busts in the NFL, especially the big wons, but the Dolphins have more than enough smurfs. I like Mohamed Massaquoi's athleticism, but didn't seen enough of him at practice because he suffered an ankle sprain and was sidelined.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2009/01/mobile-memorables-part-2.html

I like what you brought here. I liked what I saw in Caldwell and Green. If Green is unpolished, then what does it say for those who are supposedly polished? The dude got lower than his opponent, has a nice punch to stifle his opponent, then he uses his legs well and positions his block to where the play is going. I started eyeballing him on every play after Mayock started talking about him. Caldwell has good power.

Clay Mathews I did not see much off and was paying attention to Cushing. I did notice the height and play of Turner a bit. I also like the Cal-Poly kid. I also like the Oklahoma guy who got ripped off by bad QB play and passes. He looks to me like he knows how to get open and good routes. larry English is cat quick and has an array of moves to get to the Qb quickly.

I loved caldwell as well..

what did you think of wood from louisville and urbik from UW???? I am much higher on wood now than I ever thought I would be. He held his own in the game. winning the battle much of the time.

patrick turner stood out to me as well, but not as much as iglesias. I loved the route iglesias ran, when he broke it off 2 yards past the first down marker. thats what we need field awareness.. run the route past the line to gain. very nice.

I was nor impressed or disapointed with the lb group. maualuga read the screen play nicely, cushing, showed a great ability to run down a rb in the flat and tackle for a short gain.

mckillop from Pitt had a TD saving tackle at the two yard line. he might be the guy I would target with 2b or 3 if he lasted that long.

I really want to eithe pick up wood with the 25. hoping chung is there at 2a right now, but that could change.

I love how everyone is loving ANtoine Caldwell too!!! i am getting more pumped now with that :)

Jim1... great post and nice comment with Wake added in there, i do agree actually with your thought on he is more impressive than any of the kids in the senior bowl... thats what experience, hard work and a great head can do!!!

Iglesias palyed great, but he himself is not a great character, bad head too... i'd think twice going for him.

Mckillop isn't as instinctive as i once first thought, plus his game speed is a lot slower than i thought too... not overly fond on him.... Jason Phillips way over him!!!

Back
Top Bottom