Shayne Skov | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Shayne Skov

crossfit93

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I would love to draft this kid in the 2nd round of the draft, after selecting a 1st round LT. This guy is a leader, instinctive, great vs. the run. EXACTLY what we need. Cut Wheeler move Ellerbe to MIKE, which he is made for and put this kid at MLB and watch our defense and hopefully attitude and intensity instantly improve drastically. What do you guys think?

I think that he isn't a 3 down player. But good 2 down thumper in the middle. Better in a phone booth than in space.

average athlete good instincts vs the inside run game...shoots gaps...i smell issues in coverage though

instincts help make up for a pretty average athlete when you see him move...

average athlete good instincts vs the inside run game...shoots gaps...i smell issues in coverage though

instincts help make up for a pretty average athlete when you see him move...

Just not sure how I feel about him in space.. was never a great athlete before the ACL in 2011

Just not sure how I feel about him in space.. was never a great athlete before the ACL in 2011

2 down guy...mike in 43 or inside in 34...i don't see the sideline to sideline guy and i think he will wear a target in coverage...i wouldnt draft a 2 down lb in the top 2 rounds at least

comes off the field in nickle

2 down guy...mike in 43 or inside in 34...i don't see the sideline to sideline guy and i think he will wear a target in coverage...i wouldnt draft a 2 down lb in the top 2 rounds at least
comes off the field in nickle

that is a great point. I agree with that 100% that to be drafted in the 1st 2 rounds you have to be a 3 down player. Unless you are that rare of a NT like Star or Poe. I agree with you I see Skov as a 2 down guy as a mike or even sam (just stacked not walked up in a 9 tech) or a 3-4 inside guy. Spikes is one of the best run stoppers in the league, however is somewhat of a liability in coverage and only plays 2 downs. However, I still would rather have him on our nickel package than Wheeler or Ellerbe. They are that bad... I don't think either of them are starting caliber for even the worst teams in the league. Officially Jeff Ireland's #1 worst move(s), which is saying something.

that is a great point. I agree with that 100% that to be drafted in the 1st 2 rounds you have to be a 3 down player. Unless you are that rare of a NT like Star or Poe. I agree with you I see Skov as a 2 down guy as a mike or even sam (just stacked not walked up in a 9 tech) or a 3-4 inside guy. Spikes is one of the best run stoppers in the league, however is somewhat of a liability in coverage and only plays 2 downs. However, I still would rather have him on our nickel package than Wheeler or Ellerbe. They are that bad... I don't think either of them are starting caliber for even the worst teams in the league. Officially Jeff Ireland's #1 worst move(s), which is saying something.

yeah i could see some sam also with skov...as for irelands worse moves we don't have enough time to go over all of em

Ireland's #1 worst move of 2013. He's got others. Gibril Wilson, Ernest Wilford (4-year $13 million, $6 million signing bonus for a guy that appeared in 7 games and started none), not getting Tannehill any help at WR in his rookie season, Jonathan Martin, trading down to take Odrick over drafting Earl Thomas, taking Vontae Davis over Clay Matthews or Hakeem Nicks...there are many others but that's a start.

Skov to me is an ILB in the 3-4. He's got good instincts and he's a gym rat but not athletic enough IMO. I estimate he runs 4.9 in the 40 and there's too much space to cover for a MLB in the 4-3. I also remember some off the field issues or injuries with him.

I like him, but agree with others that he's not a three down guy. For that reason, I think he falls further than most expect come draft day.

Wow, I kinda liked him and wouldn't have minded the pick before I read this lol. What's you guys' evaluation on Van Noy?

I like him, but agree with others that he's not a three down guy. For that reason, I think he falls further than most expect come draft day.

I like Skov but he'll slide. Combine won't be kind to him. He'll dominate the interviews and anything involving effort and smarts.

Ireland's #1 worst move of 2013. He's got others. Gibril Wilson, Ernest Wilford (4-year $13 million, $6 million signing bonus for a guy that appeared in 7 games and started none), not getting Tannehill any help at WR in his rookie season, Jonathan Martin, trading down to take Odrick over drafting Earl Thomas, taking Vontae Davis over Clay Matthews or Hakeem Nicks...there are many others but that's a start.

Skov to me is an ILB in the 3-4. He's got good instincts and he's a gym rat but not athletic enough IMO. I estimate he runs 4.9 in the 40 and there's too much space to cover for a MLB in the 4-3. I also remember some off the field issues or injuries with him.

Passing on Earl Thomas might end up being Ireland's most costly blunder. I had him and Berry as about equal - with a slight preference for Thomas. And many people viewed Thomas as at least in Berry's neighborhood. That guy allows Seattle to play such an aggressive D. They get to say, 'We're not going to concede anything, and we still won't give up big plays," because of Earl Thomas. With a guy like that, we could have gotten away with a D that focused on stopping the run - rather than getting repeatedly gashed as a result.

Little doubt in my mind that a LB group with Skov at MLB and Ellerbe at WLB would be better than one with Ellerbe at MLB and Wheeler at WLB. I'd take him as early as the 3rd - depending on the other players available.

Instincts, intelligence, and heart. Things we've been missing at MLB since Zach Thomas.

He's decent in zone coverage, and I love the way he plays. I'm not gonna let suspect man coverage be the deciding factor on a solid player when he can replace wheeler who can do none of the above. Hair style wise is an upgrade to so I don't have to confuse ellerbe and wheeler

Back
Top Bottom