Should Henne not pan out... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Should Henne not pan out...

Barkley hasn't looked too great the first few games of this year.

He looks pretty good... completing 70% of his passes with 4 TD's and 1 INT through 2 games.... with no running game whatsoever.

The only thing he needs to do is finish games off better, but like I said, USC has shown zero ability to run the football thus far.

I haven't gotten to closely scrutinize Barkley yet but I have seen him and been generally impressed with his ability on any given play. He's going to be a good quarterback.

The guy I've spent the most time scrutinizing is Ryan Lindley, because elite completion percentage continues to elude him and because he's in what might be considered the most adverse situation among the 6 elite prospects.

His offense is a relic even at the NFL level. So far I would say 80% of his passes (not exaggerating) have been play-action, and not the kind of Cam Newton type play-action you saw which is part of the spread-option. Play-action passes are riskier, have a higher reward profile (his 15.2 yards per completion is not coincidental), and lower completion percentages. It doesn't help that his most experienced and reliable wide receiver, Dylan Denso, is a white walk-on who had all of 4 catches heading into this year. His athletic deep threat Colin Lockett just converted from cornerback this off season. He has another cornerback that is actually still a cornerback, but comes on the field and runs post routes every now and then. There are plenty of drops, a lot of instances of guys not really being where they're supposed to be, miscommunications, etc. Even playing Cal Poly and Army, this isn't an offense that is out-classing their opponents because they have better players, necessarily.

He doesn't have elite accuracy. He misses some throws. But most QBs miss throws, even the really good ones. What continues to elude me when watching him is the feeling that this guy "has accuracy issues"...as everyone keeps saying. I don't see it. In fact on many throws he possesses the kind of elite accuracy that allows you to be a play maker at the next level, which is necessary if you want to be a franchise quarterback.

He's gotten a lot bigger this year. He'll need that added size and bulk. He's going to get hit a lot against better teams, waiting for his receivers to get open. But he's only taken 1 sack so far this year...and it's interesting that in his last 4 games, even in this extreme play-action offense, he's 63 of 98 for 963 yards, 11 TDs and 0 INTs. The high 15.3 YPC is something you'd expect in this offense if you're doing it right, though on the high side (doing a good job). The 64% completion and 0.0% interception rates, though...that's not normal in this kind of offense.

He's got a genuine chance to be special.

I tried to tell you Lindley was going to miss Vincent Brown and Sampson. I think Lindley is a good prospect, but his accuracy is erratic.... even with Brown and Sampson.

You see the potential with Lindley when he gets hot and gets in rhythm, he looks as good as any quarterback in the country..... but he's also the most inconsistent of the top prospects from down to down.

His footwork is a little off, he forgets to set his feet sometimes.... that's correctable with coaching and reps, and he'll get that in the NFL.

The only thing Lindley has to show me is consistency, that's the one thing I've always said about him. His tools and intangibles are fine, I just want to see him be more consistent, and he's really only going to be tested a time or two this season... mainly against Boise and TCU.

I also like the kid from ASU. Brock Osweiler. 6'8, hasn't started a lot of games but damn that kid can sling the ball around.

I like Osweiler a lot more than Foles of the U of A, and not just because I am an ASU alum, but I don't think Osweiler is eligible until the 2013 draft? I also would be ok with Matt Barkley.....to me Barkley and Osweiler are the best QB's in the Pac-10. I also like Landry Jones of Oklahoma.

Foles impressed me against Oklahoma St... he was playing without his best weapon and one of the top receivers in the country (Juron Criner). Despite playing from behind the entire game, and without Criner, Foles still managed the game well.

I figured Foles was in a situation that was prime to lead him to turning the football over...

1. Playing from behind

2. Playing without Criner

3. Throwing the football 50 times

He didn't. I could tell he missed Criner being on the field, but Foles still managed the game well and made good decisions.... he's a good decision maker, and routinely makes NFL caliber throws. He's played 2 of the best games I've ever seen him play back-to-back against N. Arizona and Oklahoma St.... even though the latter was a loss to the more talented and better coached team.

I tried to tell you Lindley was going to miss Vincent Brown and Sampson. I think Lindley is a good prospect, but his accuracy is erratic.... even with Brown and Sampson.

You see the potential with Lindley when he gets hot and gets in rhythm, he looks as good as any quarterback in the country..... but he's also the most inconsistent of the top prospects from down to down.

His footwork is a little off, he forgets to set his feet sometimes.... that's correctable with coaching and reps, and he'll get that in the NFL.

The only thing Lindley has to show me is consistency, that's the one thing I've always said about him. His tools and intangibles are fine, I just want to see him be more consistent, and he's really only going to be tested a time or two this season... mainly against Boise and TCU.

I knew he'd miss Demarco Sampson and Vincent Brown, but that doesn't mean either are good NFL receivers, which is what I disagreed with specifically.

I just disagree on the accuracy issue. Missing passes once in a while isn't "erratic" accuracy. It's normal, even for franchise starters.

I haven't seen issues yet this year with forgetting his footwork. Last year that happened in several games. Not so far this year that I can see.

But I mean, you tap your helmet at the line which signals a route adjustment, you throw the route as it's supposed to be, but your guy never adjusts...that's not erratic accuracy. They all miss every now and then, the best of them miss about 1 in 5 or 1 in 4. I'd say that's about as often as he truly misses. The rest you can chalk up to a combination of drops, wrong routes, bad chemistry, and system translation.

I knew he'd miss Demarco Sampson and Vincent Brown, but that doesn't mean either are good NFL receivers, which is what I disagreed with specifically.

I just disagree on the accuracy issue. Missing passes once in a while isn't "erratic" accuracy. It's normal, even for franchise starters.

I haven't seen issues yet this year with forgetting his footwork. Last year that happened in several games. Not so far this year that I can see.

But I mean, you tap your helmet at the line which signals a route adjustment, you throw the route as it's supposed to be, but your guy never adjusts...that's not erratic accuracy. They all miss every now and then, the best of them miss about 1 in 5 or 1 in 4. I'd say that's about as often as he truly misses. The rest you can chalk up to a combination of drops, wrong routes, bad chemistry, and system translation.

You're not going to see the flaws in his footwork until he gets tested... he's played Cal Poly and Army the first 2 games. But the accuracy issues are already apparent. Some of it is chemistry, but a lot of it is Lindley just isn't a very accurate passer, and never has been.

I didn't say Sampson was a good NFL receiver anyway, my case was for Vincent Brown.

We'll obviously disagree on Lindley's accuracy, but the fact that he's playing under his 3rd different offensive coordinator is going to afford him a little slack with me. He's running an offense that's designed around the threat of Ronnie Hillman right now. My opinion of Lindley is no better or worse than it already was... 2 games against Cal Poly and Army won't change it. Once he gets more familiar with his teammates and the new OC, and gets tested against a legitimate defense will offer more...

If this FO adn Tony ****** stay around. its Best RT in the Draft for the Dolphins. Another 1st RD pick on the OL.

I like Landry Jones. I don't think Miami will be bad enough to pick #1 for Andrew Luck, but Jones definitely looks like another guy who could be elite. Hopefully Chad Henne continues to play at a high level this season and the Dolphins don't have to worry about the qb position.

Back
Top Bottom