SI: Who's going to win that (wink, wink) quarterback competition in Miami? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

SI: Who's going to win that (wink, wink) quarterback competition in Miami?

I won't defend the front office. Its not that they didn't have chances to upgrade our QB position permanently. They just did not think the price was worth it, and history may judge that they judged wrong. I know hindsight is 20/20, but our front office people are paid to make the right decisions. They don't receive "get out of jail free" passes just because hindsight is 20/20. They are accountable.

We needed a WR and Anquan Boldin was there and our personnel people loved him? You should have drafted him. Period.

Thats just an example, but these guys need to be held accountable (as I'm sure they are, by H. Wayne Huizenga). We've had opportunities to get QBs out there though I won't deny that. From Brad Johnson, to Trent Green, to Matt Hasselbeck...down to recent history with Mark Brunell, Jeff Garcia, Kurt Warner, Kerry Collins, etc. Its not that any of these guys were impossible to get, we just made the decision not to do what it takes to get them...and history will judge whether that has cost us a shot at a championship or not.

Personally, I am PO'd that we did not get Brad Johnson or Trent Green when we had the chance. Wanny personally blasted Green talking about how bad he did in St Louis, when Green actually probably had a QB rating over 100 and has since outperformed anything Fiedler can say he has accomplished in his 4 years. I realize the Chiefs had to give up a 1st rounder for him, but Green has become the axle grease that makes that offense run even without WRs worth a damn. Similarly, Brad Johnson knew the Norv Turner offense, and still had gas in the tank when he was available. The Bucs get him, and win a super bowl basically with defense, and his arm...bad OL, not much in the WR dept, no running game...

Those are the most scathing criticisms I can think of for this front office's past in terms of the quarterback position...and like I said, these guys are paid to know what we often give them excuses for not knowing...so you don't need to be TOO easy on these guys...

IF all things were equal...

Ohio Fanatic said:
Couldn't disagree with you more. Every offseason, Wannstedt has tried to upgrade the QB position in order to bench Fiedler. Now if Feeley doesn't outperform Fiedler, that's one thing, but all things being equal, he will be pressured to start Feeley. I imagine people on this post probably wanted Damon Huard to start over Fiedler, even though Huard sucked really badly. But Wannstedt started Fiedler with much less experience than Feeley has now.

If all things are equal in the preseason, this Fiedler fan would start Feeley simply because Jay can't seem to stay healthy.

However, all things do not appear to be close to equal. Until I see Feeley actually move the team for scores like Fiedler, forget about it. The last time Feeley saw a defense like most Miami will face in its first few games was against the NY Giants...and the Giants shut AJ down.

Drfletcherdc said:
Unless Jay totally takes a dive during camp, there is no way Dave is going to choose Feeley over Jay. Dave doesn't like surprises and he knows what he gets with Jay. That is why they dumped all the money on the defense. I hope Boston doesn't get upset by not getting the ball enough. Just think if someone could get the ball the receivers. Chambers or Boston or McMichael or Ricky, what a great offense this could be. The worst move of the offseason was to bring Jay back. Now we have the same below average qb situation as we did last year.

Sure a team always tries to dump a QB they are content with year after year! Sure! Then that team finally dumps a 2nd round draft pick on one of the only QB's with potential in the market because they are content with their starting QB. :rolleyes:

This is a competition and the Fins are hoping Feeley shows he can beat out Fiedler. If you don't realize that then you just aren't following along very well.

Fins2theend said:
While I do not think that Fiedler will lead us to anything but mediocrity, I also dont want to see AJ rushed in because of the "look what we gave up" arguement. I think Jay may start at first but should be overtaken early on in the season. I hope Im wrong but its just my gut.

Thinking back this is the first time that they have said that Jay will have to fight for the job, as it was stated earlier all the people that were brought in with the hopes of unseating him were brought in as backups. So even if Jay is Daves boy obviously he is losing faith, or being pressured into looking elsewhere due to the fact that Jay has a great record as a starter but when it counts he and the team that he leads seem to fall short.

I think that the development of the OL is something to consider as well, with Jay being the more mobile QB his legs will help us until the line gels. If by a stroke of luck the line gels before the start of the season it would bode well for AJ.

I definately agree! I do think the coaches will factor in the play of the OL, considering that Jay is more moble, from what I've read.

Steve

DrAstroZoom said:
Sigh ... for about the 100th time ... when Spielman decided we needed to address the QB position sooner rather than later, there was no Matt Hasslebeck available. There wasn't even a TIM Hasslebeck there for the taking. Rather than get stuck with nothing, Rick pulled the trigger. Had he waited, he MIGHT have landed Jeff Garcia -- the only clear upgrade over the Feeley/Fiedler tandem. I support Spielman for his determination not to stand pat.
agree 100% you can't sit around and wait to see who is going to get cut and if they get cut there is a reason why.i support rick for going after aj a young qb with alot of upside aj is the future of the fins like it or not!!!!! :yell:

Dolphan_B said:
If all things are equal in the preseason, this Fiedler fan would start Feeley simply because Jay can't seem to stay healthy.

However, all things do not appear to be close to equal. Until I see Feeley actually move the team for scores like Fiedler, forget about it. The last time Feeley saw a defense like most Miami will face in its first few games was against the NY Giants...and the Giants shut AJ down.

I apologize for adding some more info to your statement...

AJ faced a much better defense than the Giants in 2002, it was Washington.

In the victory against Washington, he threw for 2 TD's and over 200 yds in that game against Washington's #4 overall ranked Defense, 5th against the pass. The Giant's Defense was ranked #10th overall, 7th against the pass.

Let's face it a 3rd string QB playing the last 5 games of the year, the Playoffs at stake with the way he would perform, against 3 of the top 15 Defenses in the NFL, with the pressure of either making the Playoffs or not getting there by loosing, getting Home-field advantage, helping his team win 4 out of 5, with a short missed FG causing the loss against the Giants.

He was almost 5-0, I would not call that a shut out....

One thing to remember about Wannstedt: when he was in Chicago, he played musical quarterbacks and it killed him. He is very cautious about making the same mistakes here as he did in the windy city. Part of the retention of Fiedler has to have something to do with that; he doesn't want to be shuffling in some new guy just to get caught with his pants down if said new guy can't do the job. He knows if Feeley doesn't pan out, he at least knows what he has. And I think Wannstedt believes with a few tweaks to the defense he could have something like Baltimore had in 2000. And if that were to be the case, he probably thinks Fiedler might be enough with Boston, Chambers, Williams and McMichael at the skill positions.
I'm not saying I believe they are close to being in the same class as the Ravens, I'm just speculating as to what might be going on in Wannstedt's head.

All of the QBs that were brought in to challenge Jay were bad choices and at best demostrates a lack of evaluating QB talent.Lucas did not play QB in college.Heupel,Mc Nown were complete busts (Mc Nown was a trade from Bears.Does anyone know if he was picked by Dave when he was up there?I am not sure).Griese came into camp late and was not familiar with the playbook.We dont know what he could have done with an adequate OL.The coaches apparently dont have confidence in Sage (I would think Trestman would recognize talent if it was there.)

I believe AJ will start first game of the season but I would not be surprised to see Jay there if AJ is still having trouble during the preseason.I am relatively sure that AJ will be the starter at some point of the season leaving Jay as backup for the rest of the season.

DrAstroZoom said:
Sigh ... for about the 100th time ... when Spielman decided we needed to address the QB position sooner rather than later, there was no Matt Hasslebeck available. There wasn't even a TIM Hasslebeck there for the taking. Rather than get stuck with nothing, Rick pulled the trigger. Had he waited, he MIGHT have landed Jeff Garcia -- the only clear upgrade over the Feeley/Fiedler tandem. I support Spielman for his determination not to stand pat.

Agreed. And I am not even sure Garcia is much of an up grade anyway. I think I would just as soon take my chances with Feeley.

I hope Feeley gets the same chance to work with the starters as Fiedler does. Let the season start so we can answer all the questions. May the best man win.

Drfletcherdc said:
I hope Feeley gets the same chance to work with the starters as Fiedler does. Let the season start so we can answer all the questions. May the best man win.

:oCAN I GET AN AMEN!!!:o
:fire:LET THE GAMES BEGIN:fire:

As a Jay supporter in the past, I can tell you they did want to replace Jay, but didnt get it done. Lucas showed promise w/ the jets, guess they knew something we didnt when they didnt match. Griese does not have the desire. Hasselback was the one they wanted and had a deal worked out only to have the rug pulled out from under them while waiting Wannys final approval. Had Rick been GM then, we would have Hasselback as our qb.

Feeley is a question yes, forget the 2nd or 3rd string argument, does either mean he cant play? He has the physical skills to be good and from everything i have seen, he has the head. Rick has been a good evaluator of talent in the past, overall, yes some blunders but they all do, he sees something in him, and I beleive they will be extremely disappointed if AJ doesnt win the job.

pigskinguy said:
Agreed. And I am not even sure Garcia is much of an up grade anyway. I think I would just as soon take my chances with Feeley.
I agree. I have heard people talk about Garcia's back problems and that they make him a big risk. The only person I think it was seriously worth waiting for was Collins. Maybe Warner, although he would need a really solid line.

Unless something catostrophic hits, Feeley will be the starter. Dave has looked for someone in the past to unseat him, but none have yet, although I beleive Griese may have without the injury and with somewhat of an offensive line.But that doesnt matter, what matters now is that a 2nd round was given up for him, and you had Wayne coming out hoping for the next Dan Marino in Feeley ! No way is Dave stupid enough to not AT LEAST give Feeley a chance with the owner all but saying, this is the guy I want in ! Then if Feeley does fail, Wannsteadt could turn to Fiedler in a last ditch effort to save the season and his A-- . See, I got it all figured out !!! LOL But, Feeley wont fail, and Jay Fiedler stays on the bench !

Back
Top Bottom