Silverman: Best-Case, Worst-Case Scenarios For AFC East Teams | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Silverman: Best-Case, Worst-Case Scenarios For AFC East Teams

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
Miami Dolphins

Ryan Tannehill of the Miami Dolphins drops back to pass against the Jets on Nov. 29, 2015 at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey. (Photo by Elsa/Getty Images)

Best Case: The Dolphins made a great choice when they hired Adam Gase to become their head coach prior to last season, and he helped turn the team into a consistent and effective unit following a 1-4 start. The Dolphins were at their best when it came to fourth-quarter/overtime execution, and that has created a confident atmosphere in Miami for the first time in years. Quarterback Ryan Tannehill must stay healthy after suffering a left knee injury last year, while running back Jay Ajayi must show that his 1,272 yards last year were not a fluke. Record: 13-3, first place.
Worst Case: Can the Dolphins continue to outexecute opponents in the final quarter, or will the odds catch up with them? The defensive personnel is mediocre at best unless defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh plays up to his enormous physical potential on an every-game basis. This was a team that ranked 31st in rushing yards allowed per play last year, and that simply won’t get it done. Record: 7-9, third place.
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/07/18/best-case-worst-case-scenarios-afc-east/

Actually that sounds completely reasonable to me, considering its best case/worst case. Id argue the worst case could go below 7-9 because poop happens in the NFL, but maybe im underestimating the rock bottom of a Gase coached team. Last year could have easily been a stinker, but ended up far from it.

The schedule is tough, but the Fins will battle and if our key players stay healthy, we can repeat and make the playoffs again. The Fins are one the few teams that can beat the Pats. If we get in, we have a great shot.

All of a sudden we are a well coached team with a lot of ascending talent. We are coming into the second year of the Adam Gase system and an offense which resigned everyone except Dion Sims, should be potent. We have a ground game that should really flourish this season behind an oline that looks to be pretty darn good. If we catch a break and get a season out of Pouncey we should be able to run on anybody. As far as throwing the ball, we haven't had superior talent like we now have in ages. Julius Thomas should be a great weapon to deploy for Gase, he knows the player well and exactly how to get the most out of him. Fasano will make important catches for this team as well as being another powerful blocker for the run game. Landry, Still and Parker-will they combine for 25 TDs? 30,? it will be a blast watching the passing game! Tannehill is going to the Pro Bowl imo and this season will change the thinking on Ryan because he's going to crush it this year. I don't have as much faith in the defense as I do the offense. I think we'll be improved, by how much is the question. Injuries happen to every team but we were decimated big time. By the Steeler game we were down half the startes on D. This year we start with complete health, let's hope lady luck is on our side. We added speed and power on defense so it's a matter of execution on game day, not sold on the new defensive coach but I'm hoping to be. I'm going to predict 11-5 record and a chance to advance in the play offs. That would be very nice.

All of a sudden we are a well coached team with a lot of ascending talent. We are coming into the second year of the Adam Gase system and an offense which resigned everyone except Dion Sims, should be potent. We have a ground game that should really flourish this season behind an oline that looks to be pretty darn good. If we catch a break and get a season out of Pouncey we should be able to run on anybody. As far as throwing the ball, we haven't had superior talent like we now have in ages. Julius Thomas should be a great weapon to deploy for Gase, he knows the player well and exactly how to get the most out of him. Fasano will make important catches for this team as well as being another powerful blocker for the run game. Landry, Still and Parker-will they combine for 25 TDs? 30,? it will be a blast watching the passing game! Tannehill is going to the Pro Bowl imo and this season will change the thinking on Ryan because he's going to crush it this year. I don't have as much faith in the defense as I do the offense. I think we'll be improved, by how much is the question. Injuries happen to every team but we were decimated big time. By the Steeler game we were down half the startes on D. This year we start with complete health, let's hope lady luck is on our side. We added speed and power on defense so it's a matter of execution on game day, not sold on the new defensive coach but I'm hoping to be. I'm going to predict 11-5 record and a chance to advance in the play offs. That would be very nice.

In a sense, I don't think Miami needs a top D (not that I don't want one), but if the overall D and run D can get to, say, 16th, that's a dramatic improvement over last year. Like everyone else, I'm just hoping for few injuries at most.

that's a pretty good worst case scenario. vegas thinks that's only 1/2 game under expected results.

Best case: all rookies make an early impact, all vets who have to take the next step and we stay very healthy as we finish 12-4 and win the tiebreaker over the Pats.

Worst case:

The OL continues to be a sieve in the middle with Pouncey getting injured again and retiring at the end of the year, J. Thomas gets injured early and Devante continues to sputter thanks to a hammy, as the offense is once again average.

On defense the rookies fail to make an early impact, Jordan Philips is still plagued by inconsistency, and Timmons looks old, as the defense's holes at FS, nickel, LB and DT, along with unimpressive play from Branch and an injury-riddled year for Wake keep the unit below average again.

On specials kickers don't miss against us while we have to grab a new one in the middle of the season, as we tire of critical misses.

Add a few of the usual injuries on top of that and we end up 6-10. Fingers crossed.

if we do not win 10 game we are not going make playoff

Half the league falls within these parameters.

and half these dog day articles leave the authors with feelings of self loathing. Of course, it's a completely natural cycle, as the NFL writers plunge themselves like lemmings into the bountiful Ocean of disgust. A necessary, pre-requisite emotional Bardo state that precedes any true change, according to the Dalai Llama. There they will purge themselves of darkness and rise like a Phoenix into the regular season. Fully charged and half lobotomized, they'll feverishly wade by the fountains of stats and breaking news till the process repeats itself in the offseason...

Masters of the two scenario writeup, nay! champions of the third dimension, these juggernauts of Jargon will spellbind their readers with copious tantalizing if/then analytical articles..To those about to write, I salute you!

This rant brought upon you by Omar Kelly, the Sun Sentinel, and by the letters F and U...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom