SI's Peter King on Ricky | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

SI's Peter King on Ricky

I read it earlier and it does have some interesting point on why he would retire, I really like the two reasons he gave for retiring

"Two reasons. One: Have you ever stood on the sidelines of an NFL game? I have. It's positively scary. Grown men -- big grown men, hopped-up big grown men -- are running into each other, often head-on, at full speed. The sound and fury is about three times what you see on TV. Maybe the players who've done it for so long are immune to it, but let me tell you something, people -- those are car wrecks that go on out there. Bruce Smith once told me his job on Sundays was a series of car accidents, and he had to steel himself to the fact that he was sacrificing X number of years off his life to make the lives of his extended family members (and himself, certainly) better.

Second reason: This may come as a shock to you, but not every football player loves football. Ricky Williams didn't love the game. He liked it, sure. But love? Not Williams. He likes too many things in life to be in love with football. Traveling, photography, his kids, being alone. And after making $16 million or so in football over his five seasons, he knew he could do what he wanted to do. When you read this, I'm sure many of you are going to think, "What's there not to like about playing a sport and making millions for a living?" Well, to most people, nothing. And to most football players, nothing. But it is physically and mentally demanding. It should not be a crime for a man to want to do other things with his life than play football. Which is why, other than his timing (which is a severe betrayal to his teammates and employers, the same betrayal Barry Sanders inflicted on the Lions six years ago, and enough for a Dolphin fan to hate the guy), this decision ought to be perfectly fine with anyone. It's America. A guy can do what he wants."

Not that this is a good excuse as to why he would quit now and leave us in a bind.

Certainly the guy has a right to do what he wants, but you would think he'd have the decency to do it before it impacted so many other people... I'm not talking about fans, it's pretty clear to me that we're the least of a player's concerns... I mean his fellow players... You would think he'd have enough guts to do this when it didn't hurt his team mates... And from what I have seen on the web news, some of them feel that way...

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/

It pisses me off that these moron writers are making it sound like Football lifestyle is tough. Its not compared to almost any other job you may have. I am sick of this, stop trying to make it sound like players are martyrs. They make millions for something I do for fun.

T-ROCK said:
Certainly the guy has a right to do what he wants, but you would think he'd have the decency to do it before it impacted so many other people... I'm not talking about fans, it's pretty clear to me that we're the least of a player's concerns... I mean his fellow players... You would think he'd have enough guts to do this when it didn't hurt his team mates... And from what I have seen on the web news, some of them feel that way...

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/
Timing.

3. I think I heard Sunday, reliably, that Eddie George would definitely have been a Dolphin if Ricky Williams had called Dave Wannstedt with his retirement news 48 hours earlier. No doubt about it. And Antowain Smith might have been a Fish, not a Titan, with better timing.

That's from later on in King's column.

The gift of Ricky's retirement just keeps on giving. :rolleyes:

"I had various mates tell me over the years that he and his locker smelled of severe B.O. (which I can confirm)"

I can totally see this. Ricky looks like he smells really, really bad.

And that has what to do with anything? :hmmm: Doesn't running around in pads in the sun cause you to sweat? Then that sweat also gets on your pads and jersey? :dunno:

outtawack311 said:
It pisses me off that these moron writers are making it sound like Football lifestyle is tough. Its not compared to almost any other job you may have. I am sick of this, stop trying to make it sound like players are martyrs. They make millions for something I do for fun.
Tell that to former players like Earl Campbell... any player for that matter and see what kind of reaction you get.

From the article: "You can bet a deep-dish pizza that Chicago GM Jerry Angelo will try to pawn off Anthony Thomas on the Dolphins this week."

That's the best news I've heard all day. :D Seriously. I think A-Train would be a 1200 yard rusher in our offense, and I think the Bears are morons for handing the job to Thomas Jones.

Its a hard and demanding lifestyle easily more demanding than most of your run-of-the-mill jobs there's no denying it.

I don't question Ricky's desire not to play football anymore, I just take Ethan Skolnick's view on it. Ricky is immature and irresponsible about this whole thing because of the timing. He let his fans down, he let his teammates down, and he let his coaches down. South Florida gave nothing but the utmost love and respect to that man, treated him like a god, understood when he said he had mental problems...and they treated him better, put him on a pedastal...and so did the coaches. Ricky thinks that people weren't interested in him as a person, well tell that to the hundreds and thousands of fans that hung on his every word on his website as he wrote journal entries that often had as little to do with football as Martha Stewart in an orange jumpsuit. Tell that to the hundreds and thousands of fans that wrote him emails and wanted to talk about non-football stuff like social anxiety disorder, his kids, photography, etc.

He ran away. He announced he was leaving, and ran away from his life. He handled this thing as if he's the only person in the world. Nobody forced him to choose football to begin with. What right does he have to be all wounded as if everyone has made his choices for him this whole time? He chose to be depended upon, and acts all hurt when people began to depend on him being a football player.

So, as if nobody else existed but him, he made his decision, then like a coward, he ran away to Asia so that he doesn't have to deal with the backlash. He left his kids behind during what will undoubtedly be a hard time for them. He left his life and all the people in it behind to answer for his decisions during a period of understandable controversy and scrutiny.

But he's his own man. And he's searching for truth. Here's the truth Ricky, you don't care about anyone but yourself, and you never really have. You've always had it your way, and never understood that in this life other people may come to depend upon you...other people may come to demand things of you. Grow up Ricky Williams, grow up.

That's the best news I've heard all day. Seriously. I think A-Train would be a 1200 yard rusher in our offense, and I think the Bears are morons for handing the job to Thomas Jones.

Well they are definitely morons for handing the job to Thomas Jones, but that don't make A-Train the ideal choice. He tends to be inconsistent and there's a reason the Chicago front office is trying to get rid of him despite his early success with them.

JPhinfan86 said:
And that has what to do with anything? :hmmm: Doesn't running around in pads in the sun cause you to sweat? Then that sweat also gets on your pads and jersey? :dunno:

I think the connection he was making was that the social disorder Ricky has that went undetected in NewOrleans, was part of the problem, the B.O. part can be atributed to the disorder as well as the helmet interviews, it's a way to keep people from getting close, not just physically but emotionally as well. Who wants to hangout with a guy who smells or is so different from the norm of life?

I don't think it was wriiten into the artical to make fun of him, but to point out his social problems. IMO

ckparrothead said:
Well they are definitely morons for handing the job to Thomas Jones, but that don't make A-Train the ideal choice. He tends to be inconsistent and there's a reason the Chicago front office is trying to get rid of him despite his early success with them.

Well, I don't think he's an ideal choice, but I think he's the best of all the options that won't cost us a fortune. I really want to see Mike Bennett here, but I'd be shocked if we got him for less than Ogunleye or a first rounder. Thomas could probably be had for a #3 or #4 draft pick. He's a tough inside runner, and though he doesn't have Williams' breakaway ability, he can rip off good chunks of yardage and keep the defense honest. Truth be told, I think he was about the most maligned 1000 yard, 4+ yard per carry runner I've ever seen.

Hellion said:
I think the connection he was making was that the social disorder Ricky has that went undetected in NewOrleans, was part of the problem, the B.O. part can be atributed to the disorder as well as the helmet interviews, it's a way to keep people from getting close, not just physically but emotionally as well. Who wants to hangout with a guy who smells or is so different from the norm of life?

I don't think it was wriiten into the artical to make fun of him, but to point out his social problems. IMO
I most definately understand how the helmet interviews could be seen this way, but having played football myself every players locker smelled. It is inevitable. Now if he had said Ricky didn't shower after practice, then i'd make the connection. No biggie, thanks for the heads up though.

Back
Top Bottom