Sleepers | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sleepers

here's a late round sleeper pick. northeastern's brian mandeville 6'6" 250lb TE with great hands.i saw this kid play a couple times this year and left impressed. a converted DE he suffered a knee injury late in the year but he returned strong. if he's still on the board late or better yet undrafted like bess i'd hope we grab him quick.

how about Dan Gagnon out of LU? Not a great tackler or physical force but great pass coevrage guy.

I'll try to stick with mainly people I've watched play more...but I do think Frantz Joseph sounds like an excellent sleeper from what I've read about him.

At linebacker, Kaluka Maiava. He is the true unsung hero of that USC defense. Because he's not the physical behemoth that you see in Rey Maualuga, Brian Cushing and Clay Matthews, the guy gets no attention. But Linebackers Coach Ken Norton Jr. has been quoted as saying that Kaluka Maiava may be the best linebacker of all three players between he, Cushing and Maualuga, and teammates have said that Maiava is like the glue that holds the defense together. He played about as much as anyone else in that defense and he made plays, including getting MVP in the bowl game. He doesn't have GREAT size but he doesn't have awful size either, around 6'0" or 6'1", maybe 235 to 240 pounds (you should think of these sizes in ranges, IMO). He has a motor that always runs, he's smart as heck, and I love that the kid can weed through trash even though he's smaller. He's all football too. He's Dwayne Johnson's (The Rock's) nephew but all he thinks about is football, he works out constantly, and he just loves to get to work.

Another true linebacker I think is worthy of mention is Michael Tauliili of Duke. He has a past, but he gathered 140 tackles (which equates to like 187 tackles in an NFL 16 game season), 13 TFLs, and 3 Forced Fumbles and 4 Interceptions at Duke playing in the ACC. We're talking interceptions against Virginia, Vanderbilt, Virginia Tech and North Carolina, not against the James Madisons of the college landscape. He's another guy that because he's around 5'10" to 5'11" and 235 pounds (with ability to get to 240 I'm sure), he's sort of left by the wayside...yet he went to the East West Shrine Game and really made plays, was all over the ball had something like 13 tackles.

At cornerback I have to go with Chris Owens and Don Carey. Owens I've seen play at San Jose State and I love his toughness, how he flies to the ball and is a tackle machine, and that he can snag passes off the quarterback. He has good speed and quickness and even though he doesn't have ideal size and bigger WRs can use their bodies to shield the ball from him, he has potential to get better and be a good player and he stood out as one of the top two players at the Texas vs. Nation all star practices. Carey has good length to him and I just like his ability to run and stay in a player's hip pocket. He stood out in Shrine practices and the game itself. There are some other corners I like late, like Ryan Mouton of Hawaii.

At safety, my sleepers would be Keith Fitzhugh and Otis Wiley. Wiley really shouldn't be considered a sleeper at all but he's not getting much play in the rankings and both players are projected 5th to 6th round by NFL Draft Scout, so they qualify for me. Coaches in the Big Ten know who Wiley is, they voted him All Big Ten First Team. He is a safety but he had to play nickel CB for his team all season and he played it well. He's a smart player with good size at 6'2" and 210 pounds, he has quickness and I like his ability to read the QB's eyes and the WR's routes. He's no Louis Delmas but, he's also not THAT far away. Keith Fitzhugh stood out as a real fireplug in the Shrine Game and going back and watching some more Mississippi State games, he really stands out as the same. Sometimes, I'd swear this is the guy that projects as a better pro than Derek Pegues. He's very aggressive and has a natural feel for avoiding junk on his way to the ball. I think either player could play special teams, and I also think either guy could play some nickel or dime safety, as well as possibly free safety.

At DE, I think Maiava's teammate Kyle Moore definitely qualifies. He plays on a defense where I don't think he's designed to make a bunch of plays, but he does make plays behind the line of scrimmage, he does stand out at you on tape as being very strong and active, and he impressed in All Star showings. Gotta love his 6'5" and 265 pound size, too. He beat San Jose State's Jeff Schweiger for a job even though Schweiger was the more highly recruited guy. Speaking of which he's not a terrible player himself and might be worth a UDFA look.

I really think Daryl Richard is worth looking at for a later round Defensive Tackle. The guy is very strong and plays with good leverage, and he's smart. He fires out low in short yardage and he really started to come into it later in the season and through the All Star season. At 6'3" and 306 he is Jason Ferguson's size, and I think he plays a bit like Ferg, too.

4. Darius Passmore WR(Marshall) 6'1" 190lbs.
Only a 2-year starter for the Thundering Herd(God, I love that name). He is fluid and athletic. Listed as a 4.5/40 guy, he has been clocked as fast as 4.3. He lines up at QB in their Racehorse formation(Wildcat). The only knock on him is that he catches too many balls in his body. He will definitely have to work on that at the next level.

Anyone that mentions Kaluka Maiava is spot on. While Maualuga, Cushing, Matthews and Mays were getting all the praise on the defense, I would say Maiava is the most consistent out of all of them. I watched pretty much all USC games this year, and I'd love to have Kaluka on the Phins.

He is a player, plain and simple.

Juaquin Iglesias WR 6'0 - 204lbs - Oklahoma

This kid is tough as nails, knows how to catch and knows how to get open.

He lacks some speed, but his quickness, route running, hands, and toughness make up for that.

I think he would make a nice possession receiver, maybe a late 2nd or 3rd round pick up.

Juaquin Iglesias WR 6'0 - 204lbs - Oklahoma

This kid is tough as nails, knows how to catch and knows how to get open.

He lacks some speed, but his quickness, route running, hands, and toughness make up for that.

I think he would make a nice possession receiver, maybe a late 2nd or 3rd round pick up.
I'm not sure I would cosider him a sleeper. I agree he is a pretty good player though.

I'm not sure I would cosider him a sleeper. I agree he is a pretty good player though.

Ya, your probably right, he's not a sleeper in the sense that noone saw him coming.

I was working more under the idea that a sleeper is someone that is highly underrated.

I see Inglesias as someone that could be first round talent stolen in later rounds.

I also think he fits the mold of someone our FO is looking for; Plays through injury, not afraid to make the catch across the middle, good blocker on run plays, etc...

Ryan Mouton at CB/KR Stephen Hodge SS Keegan Herring RB Jorvorskie Lane FB

Glover quinn CB Curtis Crouch OG

I think I would vote Hodge most likely to succeed.

Just spent a lot of time reviewing Shawn Nelson at TE. Criminally underused at times in Southern Miss' spread passing attack, a TE that lean with that much speed and quickness should really not be as strong a blocker as he is. He can regularly take on DEs and actually work them off the line of scrimmage. And, not just crap DEs...Brandon Lang is a pretty darn good prospect. He also has the feet, balance and technique to stay in front of DBs when blocking them further upfield.

Also as a receiving TE you could certainly do worse than Darius Hill. I've spent a lot of time watching Ball State and Nate Davis and Hill just constantly stands out. He can challenge the deep middle and he's got the jumping ability to be a real threat in the red zone. He just doesn't block so well, certianly not as well as Nelson or Brian Mandeville.

Coye Francies is going to be excellent, excellent value.

4. Darius Passmore WR(Marshall) 6'1" 190lbs.
Only a 2-year starter for the Thundering Herd(God, I love that name). He is fluid and athletic. Listed as a 4.5/40 guy, he has been clocked as fast as 4.3. He lines up at QB in their Racehorse formation(Wildcat). The only knock on him is that he catches too many balls in his body. He will definitely have to work on that at the next level.

I really like Darius Passmore, he's dedinately a guy that you want to keep an eye out for.

4. Brandon Swain DE(West Texas A&M) 6'3" 255lbs.
Viewed by many as the best DII Defensive Linemen. Plays bigger and faster than 255lbs. and 4.75/40. He has long arms to keep the offensive blockers from getting into his body. Sudden off the ball. Physically strong and relentless in his pass rush. Can be converted as a 3-4 OLB, but comfortable with his hand in the dirt. Maybe a bit of a tweener, but I've seen Porter in a 3-point stance a lot.

Joe Burnett CB - Central Florida
Philip Hunt DE/OLB - Houston
Victor Butler DE/OLB - Oregon St

Back
Top Bottom