Sleepers | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sleepers

Everything I have been reading says that he would be 3-4 DE, but I think he could hold up at NT. He certainly has the size to play nose. When UF played the Tide, more often than not, I was more impressed with his play at DT than Cody.
77. DT/DE Brandon Deaderick 6'4"314lbs.

Brandon Deaderick/DT/Alabama: Deaderick is a tough, interior defender who effectively handles several duties up front. He has an NFL-type body and offers potential at tackle or as a two-gap end. Deaderick was slowed by injury early in the season, which occurred off the field, then came on strong late in the year. Against Texas he must display the ability to pressure McCoy, something that's not been his forte'. Fourth round.

While not technically what I would call a sleeper, I like this guy. While he is not overly athletic, I think Edds would be the perfect adjunct to an earlier OLB picked up in earlier rds. Not an athletic freak, Edds uses his noggin to figure out how to make plays on the field and help his team, something I deem as pretty important.
78. OLB A.J. Edds 6'3.5"243lbs.
Overview AJ Edds was honored as second team All Big Ten in 2009, and also was named to the academic All Big Ten team for the third straight year. He was also selected to play in the 2010 Senior Bowl. Had a very good senior season, racking up 78 tackles including 4.5 for loss. He also added 5 INTs.
Senior Bowl Measurements - arm: 32.5" hand: 9.9" Notes: Very good shape, strong frame.

Strengths
AJ Edds is a consistent player who doesn't get a lot of hype, but is always in the right place at the right time. His biggest asset may be his size, at nearly 6'4" and 240#, he can take on the bigger pass-receiving TEs. He's particulary effective in coverage, showing a good drop and exceptional read and react abilities. He doesn't take unnecessary steps and knows what the offense is doing. Does best when he's able to keep the action in front of him. He's a form tackler who squares up well, and then wraps up the ball-carrier. Understands and applies all of the fundamentals consistently. Edds is a durable player as well. Has decent straight-line speed to be an effective edge rusher, although he wasn't asked to blitz at Iowa.
Weaknesses
Edds has some athletic limitations, such as lateral agility and ability to change direction smoothly. He's also not a terribly powerful player for his size and needs to add more functional strength to take on blockers. He's not a quick twitch athlete and relies on intelligence and instincts to succeed. Doesn't always play with good balance and can be knocked off the play too easily. Becomes a liability in pass coverage when he's asked to turn and run with a receiver.
Projection
Edds is not going to be outworked on the field, in practice, or in the books, but athletic limitations will keep him out of the first couple days of the draft. He could bulk up and be a solid backup at SLB in a 4-3, or could work on his flexibility and speed and be a 3-4 OLB. Look for Edds to hear his name in the 5th or 6th rounds of the 2010 NFL Draft.
http://cdsdraft.com/profile.php?id=4745

79. OT Jeff Linkenbach 6'6"313lbs.
Overview Not highly regarded by most, but I liked him when I saw him, which was multiple times.
Strengths
Excellent size. Athletic for his size. Experienced starter at left tackle. Has faced some top DE prospects (George Selvie, Carlos Dunlap, etc...) and held his own. Strikes me as a poor man's Jake Long. Doesn't necessarily look pretty, but gets the job done. Gets a push in the run game.
Weaknesses
Not a dancing bear. Lacks the athleticism you'd ideally like to see in a pro LT. Not a maler. Needs some technique work.
Projection
The consensus seems to be that he's a late-rounder at best, but I personally like him more than that.
http://cdsdraft.com/profile.php?id=4491

QB
5. QB Levi Brown 6'3"220lbs.
21. QB Tyler Sheehan 6'3"224lbs.
24. QB John Skelton 6'5"258lbs.
40. QB Mike Kafka 6'3"220lbs.
56. QB Billy Cundiff 6'2"226lbs.
RB/FB

RB Keiland Williams 6'0"221 lbs.
34. HB/TE/WR James Konz 6'3"228lbs.
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]41. RB William Ford 5'11"185lbs.[/SIZE][/FONT]
57. RB Keith Toston 6'0"214lbs.
71. RB Curtis Steele 5'11"194lbs.
TE
12. TE Anthony McCoy 6'5"255lbs.
18. TE Michael Palmer 6'5"250lbs.
19. TE Jimmy Graham 6'8"260lbs.
42. TE Scott Sicko 6'4"250lbs.
WR
4. WR Naaman Roosevelt 6'0"187lbs.
10. WR Seyi Ajirotutu 6'3"210lbs.
11. WR Terrell Hudgins 6'2"236lbs.
15. WR Ricardo Lockette 6'3"200lbs.
16. WR Kelton Tindal 6'3"198lbs.
26. WR Freddie Barnes 6'0"212lbs.
27. WR Taylor Price 6'1"209lbs.
29. WR Greg Matthews 6'2.5"210lbs.
36. WR Pat Simmonds 6'5"227lbs.
47. WR Marc Mariani 6'0"185lbs.
49. WR Carlton Mitchell 6'4"212lbs.
63. WR/KR Terrence Austin 5'10"183lbs.
74. WR Blair White 6'2''209lbs.
OG/C
9. C John Estes 6'3" 300lbs.
30. OG/C Thomas Austin 6'3.5"310lbs.
39. C J.D. Walton 6'2"300lbs.
51. OG Chaz Millard 6'3"305lbs.
59. OG/OT Levi Horn 6'6"320lbs.
70. C Mitch Petrus 6’3"304lbs.
OT
22. OT Jared Veldheer 6'7"321lbs.
23. OT Casey Knips 6'8"308lbs.
75. OT/OG Chris Scott 6'5"346lbs.
79. OT Jeff Linkenbach 6'6"313lbs.
NT/DT
1. DT Boo Robinson 6'2"325lbs.
28. NT Torrell Troup 6'3"314lbs.
35. DT Al Woods 6'4"323lbs.
38. DT Ko Quaye 6'1"305lbs.
45. DT Martin Tevaseu 6'2"328lbs.
61. NT Linval Joseph 6'6"323lbs.
62. NT Andre Neblett 6'2"300lbs.
77. DT/DE Brandon Deaderick 6'4"314lbs.
DE
44. DE/LB Arthur Moats 6'2"248lbs.
50. DE Daniel Teo-Nesheim 6'4"263lbs.
52. DE/OLB Antonio Coleman 6'2"255lbs.
OLB
2. OLB Brandon Lang 6'3"252lbs.
3. OLB Jermaine Cunningham 6'3"252lbs.
14. OLB Larry Hart 6'0"248lbs.
31. OLB Matt Marcorelle 6'2"250lbs.
32. ILB/OLB Travis Goethel 6'3"237lbs.
55. OLB Austin Pritchard 6'3"235lbs.
65. OLB Adrian Tracy 6'3"243lbs.
69. OLB Dane Fletcher 6'2"244lbs
78. OLB A.J. Edds 6'3.5"243lbs.
ILB
6. ILB Boris Lee 6'0"245lbs.
13. ILB Lee Campbell 6'3"246lbs.
43. ILB Micah Johnson 6'2"258lbs.
46. ILB Walter Dublin 6'2"252lbs.
48. SLB/ILB Sam Maxwell 6'3"245lbs.
58. ILB Phillip Dillard 6'0"245lbs.
66. ILB/OLB Danny Batten 6'4"252lbs.
CB
17. CB Jarvis Richards 5’10"193lbs.
54. CB Thad Turner 5'11"180lbs.
67. CB Myron Lewis 6'2"202lbs.
68. CB Walter McFadden 5'11"180lbs.
72. CB Perrish Cox 6'0"195lbs.
S
7. S Barry Church 6'2"219lbs.
8. FS Van Eskridge 6'0"195lbs.
20. FS Steven Jackson 6'2"192 lbs.
33. S Ronald “Terrell” Whitehead 6'2"200lbs.
37. S Jeremy Miles 6'1.5"215lbs.
53. FS Robert Johnson 6'2"200lbs.
60. FS Jordan Lake 6'1"203lbs.
64. FS Major Wright 6'1"204lbs.
73. FS Michael Newton 5'11''202lbs.
76. FS Danny McCray 6'1"212lbs.

Deaderick and Lorenzo Washington are two of the more underrated defensive lineman in the draft.....neither are worth more than 4th round pick...but both can play...especially in a 2-gap system....and are versatile...

They can both play end in a 2 gap, 3-4 system, and also move inside in a 4 man front...

Deaderick can be flat out dominant at times.....one of his best games I've ever seen him play was the 2008 SEC CG against the crocs....every time Tebow tried to run, Deaderick was there to bring him down for little or no gain...

Linkenbach was pretty much destroyed by Carlos Dunlap...

80. RB James Starks 6'2"217lbs.
Overview Surgery to repair torn labram sidelined him for all of 2009. He averaged 141 all-purpose yards per game in 2008 with 1333 yards rushing (4.9 yards per carry) and 361 yards receiving (52 catches) with 17 TDs - earned 1st Team All-MAC honors as he led Bulls to their first MAC championship. Recruited as a quarterback, he played at cornerback, then went on set the school record for yards (3140) and TDs (34) in just 3 seasons as a running back.
Strengths
Strong, versatile back with great hands and speed. Great vision and ability to hit the hole. Excellent receiver out of the backfield (team second leading receiver in '08). Hard worker who spends time in the weight room.
Weaknesses
Has sat out entire 2009 season - must show shoulder is healed. Will have that chance at the NFL combine.
Projection
6th round.
http://cdsdraft.com/profile.php?id=4286

81. WR Donald Jones 6'1"210lbs.
Jones may come from a small school but his talent is very big, which is why NFL scouts are very familiar with his name. He has good size and is a powerful athlete after the catch. Jones has good hands but he isn’t the most gifted route runner at this point in time.
Jones will need some good coaching but he’s got a ton of talent to work with and he also brings kick returning ability to the table. He’s going to have to work hard at the next level but could fit in well for a team that’s ready to coach up some receiving talent.
http://www.rookiedraft.com/?p=978

1. DT Boo Robinson 6'2"325lbs.
2. OLB Brandon Lang 6'3"252lbs.
3. OLB Jermaine Cunningham 6'3"252lbs.
4. WR Naaman Roosevelt 6'0"187lbs.
5. QB Levi Brown 6'3"220lbs.
6. ILB Boris Lee 6'0"245lbs.
7. S Barry Church 6'2"219lbs.
8. FS Van Eskridge 6'0"195lbs.
9. C John Estes 6'3" 300lbs.
10. WR Seyi Ajirotutu 6'3"210lbs.

Boo Robinson weighed 296 at his pro day not 325.

82. WR Scott Long 6'2"216lbs.
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Scott Long, the University of Louisville's leading receiver last season, rang up some impressive numbers at the National Football League Scouting Combine in Indianapolis this past weekend. Long finished first among wide receivers in the vertical jump (41.5 inches), three-cone drill (6.45 seconds) and 60-yard shuttle (11.06 seconds). He tied for first in the bench press with 20 repetitions of 225 pounds. His composite score was the best of the wide receivers at the combine. “Not many people knew who I was this weekend, and I was able to get that opportunity to go out and compete with the best and put up some pretty good numbers,” Long said. “I kind of started out at the bottom, kind of an underdog. I think I helped myself.” Long finished second among wide receivers in the 20-yard shuttle (4.09 seconds), which tests a player's lateral quickness and explosiveness in a tight area. He was fourth in the broad jump (10 feet, 3 inches) and seventh in the 40-yard dash (4.46 seconds). Long's performance in the three-cone drill, which tests a player's ability to change directions at high speed, was especially gratifying. “I was able to set an all-time combine record in that,” Long said. “That was pretty exciting.” A 6-foot-2, 216-pound receiver from Southport, N.C., Long caught 53 passes for 727 yards and two touchdowns last season. His career totals were 91 catches, 1,286 yards (a 14.1-yard average) and four TDs. The NFL draft is set for April 22-24. Long said he expects to arrange private workouts with NFL teams before then. - C. Ray Hall, Louisville Courier-Journal[/FONT]
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=67853&draftyear=2010&genpos=WR

83. OT Kyle Calloway 6'7"317lbs.
Overview Kyle Calloway earned second-team All Big 10 honors for his efforts in 2008 and again in 2009 and was named to the East-West Shrine Post-Season Game roster. He started 11 games at RT for the Hawkeyes before starting at LG for the bowl game. As a junior, he started at RT in all 13 games. In 2007, he started every game and played LT in all but one where he started as RT. As a RS freshman in 2006, he saw action in a pair of games as a LG. He was a star basketball player in high school, including recognition as an All-Conference selection at center as a HS junior.
Strengths
Calloway is gaining traction as a NFL RT prospect. He certainly possesses the size and strength and is a very effective run blocker. He has a very powerful initial punch and is lights out once he locks onto a defender. He plays with a nasty streak and plays to the whistle. Understands his assignments and shows the power to drive block. Moves well enough to pull and slip out to the second level. In pass pro, he possesses a good anchor to handle bull rushers and plays with good leverage and balance. His offensive teams have always been very productive running the ball behind him. He's very experienced at more than one position and has proven to be a very durable player over the long haul.
Weaknesses
Struggles mightily with speed rushers as he lacks the athleticism and agility to change direction quickly when the defender counters with an inside move. He also struggles to block a moving target in space. Calloway is not particularly quick off the snap either, and will allow the quick-twitch defensive ends to get into him before he's fully set. Finally, he missed the season opener as a senior because of an off-season DUI charge (he was riding a moped). This was his only red flag incident, so it shouldn't be scrutinized too heavily.
Projection
Calloway is rising boards as he's a very reliable and servicable player who looks like he could be an NFL RT for 10 years or more. He also offers the versatility to handle a move to OG or even LT in a pinch. Look for him to be a late third to mid fourth round pick in the 2010 NFL Draft.
http://cdsdraft.com/profile.php?id=4697

84. OLB Blaze Soares 6'1"247lbs.
Soares worked out with Triple Threat Performance after the combine. He got his body fat down to 8.4% and raised his weight from 236 to 247lbs. He reportedly wanted his 40 time to improve from 4.74 to 4.6. There is no report that he had accomplished this, but that was his goal.
Overview All WAC 1st Team LB in 2009 - led team with 107 tackles, 3.5 TFLs, 2 sacks and 1 INT. Fourth leading tackler in the WAC and also named team's 'most inspirational' award winner in '09. Decided not to petition for additional year after sitting out with a torn ligament in his lower left calf in 2008. Played at Texas vs the Nation with little acclaim; practice week was not exceptional either.
Strengths
Great hitter with will and desire to make the play. Inspiring team leader who makes teammates play harder. Has shown great work ethic to recover from injury last year. Productive tackler who gets in the play. Also listed as long snapper on TVN roster.
Weaknesses
Lost 25+ pounds after injury and size suggest OLB may be his spot in NFL. Does not demonstrate the speed needed for the position, but his 40 times have been coming down.
Projection
Late 6-7th round with a strong pro day. Otherwise, UDFA.
http://cdsdraft.com/profile.php?id=5006

Deji Karim - RB, Southern Illinois

Led the nation in rushing - small, strong and fast. A great 6th or 7th round pickup.
Defenses wouldn't see him coming out from behind our o-line until he was 5 yards behind them. I love this kid.
Look him up.

85. RB Deji Karim 5'9"210lbs.
Overview One of the more productive backs in FCS, and he did it for one of the elite programs, year-in-and-year-out, at that level.
Outstanding Pro Day results to go along with a solid showing at the Texas v. The Nation Game, have out Deji into solid contention for a late draft selection.
At his Pro Day on 3-11-10 he ran a 4.37 in the 40, vertical jumped 43", broad jumped 10'3", and did 19 reps.
Strengths
Fast, and has some power for his size. Can run the middle a bit. Has shown the ability to step up in competition and still shine. Hard worker. Dedicated.
Weaknesses
Looks to bust too many plays wide, where he won't be so special doing that at the next level. Lacks elite balance and natural HB moves in the openfield. Questions abound about his blocking and hands.
Projection
7th-UDFA
http://cdsdraft.com/profile.php?id=4708

86. NT Darryl Jackson 6'1"310lbs.
Kean U. nose tackle Darryl Jackson working to achieve NFL dream

By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

March 09, 2010, 7:00AM

footballplayerdarryljacksonofkeanunivers-1.jpg
Kean nose tackle Darryl Jackson hopes to make the jump from Division 3 to the NFL. Jackson has a Pro Day Tuesday at TEST Sports Club in Martinsville.Last August, after a late-night practice during training camp, the Kean University football coaches were holed up in the basement of Harwood Arena until the early morning hours. Close to 1:30 a.m., while they were going over scripts for the next day’s practice, they heard a rumbling outside their meeting room.

They peered into the hallway and discovered Darryl Jackson — their star senior nose tackle — pushing carts of dirty jerseys down the hall.
“What the heck are you doing?” head coach Dan Garrett asked.
“Laundry,” Jackson said with a shrug.
This was the guy who plugged up the middle of the Kean defense. The guy who swallowed up blockers sometimes three at a time. He was the talent who drew dozens of scouts to Union last year, from all but three or four NFL teams. But in Division 3, that job doesn’t come with a scholarship.
So Jackson did laundry for the equipment manager, stealing time at night between summer two-a-days. He collected tickets at soccer and basketball games. He bounced at a nightclub on weekends, and delivered beer in the summers. Seeing scouts reminded him there may be a future at the next level, but he stayed locked in on the present.
“I don’t want to jinx myself, you know what I mean?” said Jackson, who will work out Tuesday at his Pro Day at Total Energy Systems Training Sports Club in Martinsville. “I’m kind of superstitious. I’m not there yet.”
Perhaps that’s because the 22-year-old has learned little in life comes with a guarantee. As a senior at Red Bank High, interest from schools like Rutgers and UConn dissolved when he didn’t qualify academically for Division 1. Four years later — with his resolve deepened after the death of a close friend last fall — now is the time for Jackson to achieve his pro ambitions.
The leap from Division 3 to the NFL is no doubt a quantum one, and since 1996, just 10 players from that level have been drafted into the league. But Jackson’s agent, Darin Morgan — who also represents Texans defensive tackle Amobi Okoye, a former top-10 pick — believes Jackson could sneak into the later rounds of next month’s draft. At worst, he expects Jackson to get his shot as an undrafted free agent.
“I really, truly hope it works for this kid, because not only does he warrant a look, he deserves it,” Garrett said. “What would it mean to us? It’s probably something similar, on a scaled-down version, to what (Colts receiver) Pierre Garçon means to Mount Union.”
• • • 
Garrett first met Jackson in an old physical education office at Red Bank, sporting a Fu Manchu mustache and an up-front approach: “I know you have bigger things on the table,” Garrett said, “but if those bigger things don’t work out, we’d love to have you.”
Those bigger things hit the speed bump of the NCAA Clearinghouse, which required a combination of grades and SAT scores that Jackson did not meet. He didn’t consider junior college. He considered Kean.
Jackson had lost out on a Division 1 scholarship, but Garrett had gained his cornerstone. The defensive-minded coach implemented a 3-4 scheme, with Jackson as the nucleus. His class had unprecedented success at Kean, earning as many wins in four years (28) as the program had over the prior 12, and playing in more postseason games (3) than in the previous three-and-a-half decades.
No one delighted in Jackson’s success more than his grandmother, Ella Mae Frink, who caravanned up the Parkway for every home game with her twin sister, her niece and Jackson’s baby nephew.
“We don’t have much money, and I felt so bad I didn’t,” said Frink, who worked for two decades as the custodial staff supervisor of the Tinton Falls School District. “But he worked his way through the whole four years and still accomplished it all. That’s one reason I say, there’s no more like him.”
Frink has been the constant presence in Jackson’s life, helping his mother raise him when he was a kid too big to play Pop Warner, and caring for him while he finished at Red Bank after his mom had moved to North Carolina. His parents split up before he was born, and his father, Darryl Jackson, Sr., entered his life again late in high school.
Jackson’s senior season at Kean was his best and, midway through last fall, Garrett said Jackson found the groove of “a man possessed” as the Cougars won eight straight games. But Jackson’s purpose on the football field took on a different dimension in early November, one for which he wasn’t prepared.
Days before Kean’s last regular-season game against rival Montclair State, Jackson and his close circle from Red Bank received a message on Facebook. It was from Sean Hocutt, one of their best friends, who was in the Navy and living in San Diego.
“I know I haven’t been in touch,” he wrote, “but I just want to say, ‘I love you.’”
Jackson soon learned Hocutt had taken his life.
Jackson retreated to Garrett’s tiny, 8-foot-by-8-foot office the next morning. He stayed there for hours, talking a little and crying more. He shut down for those few days, and thought how he could honor his friend by living out those hopes they had once shared on the practice field at Red Bank.
He took the field that Saturday and played one of his best games all season, even though Kean lost, which still makes him both sad and sick.
“It motivates me a lot, that’s why I think it was so tough to lose that last game,” Jackson said. “It’s motivation to make me accomplish more; to get to the NFL. I want to do it.”
• • • 
Jackson’s determination has been clear this winter, as he’s shuttled between Kean, where he is taking five classes toward his degree in community recreation, and Martinsville, where he is training six days a week.
The Eagles and Giants were the first teams to send scouts to Kean last spring, when Jackson weighed-in at 349 pounds and clocked 5.65 seconds in the 40-yard dash. But since then, he has morphed.
He is now a lean 310 pounds. He has been timed as low as 5.18 in the 40. He has tripled his reps on the 225-pound bench press. The Division 1 perks he missed out on — regimented nutrition and supervised lifts — he’s taken advantage of this winter.
“He was very blessed, but very raw,” TEST founder Brian Martin said. “It was a project that was worth it.”
Indeed, perhaps because of his endearing humility and easy smile, Jackson has a wide web of support.
Former West Virginia defensive tackle Skip Fuller, part of the TEST staff, volunteered for extra one-on-one sessions with Jackson every Saturday. Curtis McGriff, the former Giants defensive tackle, works with him once a week on technique — and raves about his quick first step and hand moves.
Morgan took a chance on Jackson because he thought he had “the total package of talent and character.” And Steve Colson, a philanthropist from Warren and TEST member, was impressed enough after a brief meeting with Jackson that he asked to be a sponsor for him.
Jackson has felt like a top prospect these past few months, and his confidence has grown after discovering he can keep up with the players from programs like Penn State and Stanford he has been training alongside.
It just takes one NFL team to agree — and the Jets, Eagles, Packers and Vikings have taken particular interest in Jackson. Morgan declined to speak to feedback from individual teams, but did estimate Jackson is on the radar of at least half the teams in the NFL, for both 4-3 and 3-4 schemes, and multiple teams have taken numerous visits to see him.
Along with his Division 3 roots, Jackson’s height — he is only 6-1 — is a potential knock against him. But he has been inspired by another undersized tackle: Rutgers’ Eric Foster, who also trained at TEST. During the Super Bowl, when Foster was in on a goal-line stop for the Colts, Jackson promptly texted Martin.
“E Foster!” he wrote.
“You’re next,” Martin sent back.
At the thought, Jackson’s easy grin becomes even easier. With every load of laundry he tossed into the machine, this is the dream he hoped would come out in the wash.
http://www.nj.com/sports/njsports/index.ssf/2010/03/kean_u_nose_tackle_darryl_jack.html

Back
Top Bottom