Slimm's 2018 Tight Ends (Seniors)

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by TedSlimmJr, May 3, 2017.

1. TedSlimmJr

TedSlimmJr Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

1. Mike Gesicki / Penn St. / 6'6", 252

2. Troy Fumagalli / Wisconsin / 6'6", 248

3. Adam Breneman / UMASS / 6'4", 250 (4-Star recruit coming out of high school we recruited to come to Alabama. Signed with Penn St. before transferring to UMASS. Has a little bit of Gesicki and a little bit of Fumagalli in his game.)

4. Dallas Goedert / S. Dakota St. / 6'3", 255

5. Jaylen Samuels / N.C. State / 5'11", 223 (Ultimate X-factor and matchup piece. Lines up and scores TD's from all over the place.)

6. Tyler Conklin / C. Michigan / 6'4", 240

7. Cam Serigne / Wake Forest / 6'3", 250

8. Ryan Smith / Miami (OH) / 6'4", 265

9. Marcus Baugh / Ohio St. / 6'5", 258

10. Ethan Wolf / Tennessee / 6'6", 245

11. David Wells / San Diego St. / 6'5", 255

12. Metuisela Unga / Hawaii / 6'5", 240

13. Jeb Blazevich / Georgia / 6'4", 242

14. DeAndre Goolsby / Florida / 6'4", 244

15. Blake Mack / Arkansas St. / 6'3", 245

[​IMG]

16. Melvin Vaughn / Old Dominion / 6'2", 259

17. Jordan Feuerbacher / Baylor / 6'4", 265

18. Donnie Ernsberger / W. Michigan / 6'3", 255

19. Chad Olsen / Fresno St. / 6'4", 242

20. Andrew Beck / Texas / 6'3", 253

21. Shane Wimann / N. Illinois / 6'4", 252

22. Ryan Yurachek / Marshall / 6'3", 232

BobDole likes this.
  2. Tannenbombs

Tannenbombs FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I love Goedert. His ball skills and RAC are outstanding. He's going to be a star.

3. Tannenbombs

Tannenbombs FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Gesicki might be the worst blocker in college football.

4. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

I wish he played at a better level of competition so we could get better calibration on him. I agree his tape is strong, but there always has to be some level of doubt based on the level of competition.

Tannenbombs likes this.
  5. KB21

KB21 A True Fan

Ted, keep your eyes on Jordan Thomas at Mississippi State. Huge TE who has hands and is an underrated athlete.

6. ckparrothead

I've got a mark on Jeb Blazevich of Georgia.

One thing I find unique about him as a blocker is his feet are really good. He gets his hips around moving targets and is one of the most effective blockers you'll see out there.

But there's more to him than that, and he's a good example of a TE that slips through the cracks a bit because the college game has for the most part forgotten how to incorporate TEs into the passing game.

I saw some things in some of his 2015 footage that had me suspecting he was a dynamic receiving target in high school despite being more of an in-line blocker for Georgia. The high school tape bears that out. He came in with legit receiving and running skills, runs well with the football in his hands too, but at Georgia he blocks a lot.

Definitely a guy worth paying attention to. He doesn't run like an athletic lineman. He runs better than that. If he tests well, and I suspect he will, he'll be a guy to keep an eye on.

7. TedSlimmJr

Good blocker. He was completely phased out of the passing game in favor of a freshman. Isaac Nauta is much more of a mismatch as a receiving tight end.

I currently grade him as a UDFA. Although I believe he can latch on at the next level as a 2nd or 3rd TE.

8. Greer17

Greer17 Well-Known Member

The Sooners TE, Mark Andrews, is a Jr this year, but he looks like he is going to be one to watch if he comes out.

9. ckparrothead

I love Jaylen Samuels as much as Slimm does but I'm not sure you've got him in the right category here.

I think he's just a RB for the NFL. The NFL are using RBs in inventive ways now so they'll think of him this way, like a Christian McCaffrey, Javorius Allen, Andre Ellington, James White, Dion Lewis, Alvin Kamara, etc.

Except he's probably more David Johnson or Ronnie Brown than those guys.

He's going to be highly rated. He's carried the ball 143 times for 909 yards and 23 rushing TDs over his career, and that's in addition to the 182 catches for 1,732 yards and 18 receiving TDs. He will draw easy comparisons to David Johnson.

10. TedSlimmJr

I think that's right, in reality he's a RB/slot receiver, but they've had to list him at TE just to make sure he can get on the field and get him touches. Particularly when they already had a Matt Dayes, Nyheim Hines, and an already next level caliber blocker at TE in Cole Cook.

In other words, I wouldn't over analyze what position I have a lot of these guys listed under. A lot of guards are going to end up at center, a lot of centers are going to end up at guard, some guards at tackle, a lot of tackles at guard, a lot of WR's in the slot, a lot of DE's at linebacker, etc.

It's all mostly dependent on what situations they land in at the next level as to where they'll actually line up at on Sundays.

However, you can adjust quite accurately for this if you really want to and know with some certainty that a 6'2", 240 pound DE in the Sun Belt for example, is not going to line up on the LOS in the NFL...he's moving to linebacker.

If you watch Jaylen Samuels play, you know it doesn't really matter what position you list him under. He's going to line up somewhere else on the next series.

11. Avigatorx

Avigatorx Sec. 107 Row 2

What do you guys think of Yurachek?

I watched him in the Marshall v. FAU game last week and the kid looked like a weapon.

He doesnt have the measurables I'd look for in a prototypical NFL TE, but that kid looks like a gamer to me. I wasnt quite paying any attention to his blocking, but his hands and route running looked solid.

Seems like a guy I'd like to try stealing in the later rounds.

12. TedSlimmJr

I think he's a later round H-back type, the kind who will sneak into the NFL and make a roster somewhere. Limited athlete for the position, but just one of those kids that seems to love football and just looks like a football player.

Smart kid...high achiever academically. I think his dad is an AD somewhere.

Realistically, he has a little trouble creating any kind of significant separation even from C-USA defenders. He's typically always covered, but he usually catches the ball anyway. That's how he's managed to be so consistently productive. He'll play special teams in the NFL in my opinion...at least at first.

fininpsl and Avigatorx like this.