Slimm's 2019 Defensive Tackles (underclassman) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2019 Defensive Tackles (underclassman)

You may be right about Simmons. I just don't see the play-to-play disruption that warrants a pick that early. I think his pad level is a little inconsistent, and while he's a better athlete with a higher ceiling than Tillery, I think Tillery uses his hands better. I don't know how Simmons has improved as a person in recent years, and I'll have to look into that further, but it also gives me pause (based on my current understanding of the player/person).

Obviously an ultra-small board, and you wouldn't go into the draft with a board that small, but, for me, the thinking is that you just need one of the players in the group to fall through. Of course, if DT's start going earlier than CB's, you might flip the way you prioritize the positions.

Simmons is good. The only thing I know of as far as what kind of person he is was the trouble he got into as a recruit coming out of high school. Don't know of anything since he's been on campus. He clearly made a mistake. I think his sister was fighting with another female and Simmons got involved when his sister was taking a little bit of a beating or something to that effect. There was video, which is what sunk Simmons.

But lets be honest, the NFL is full of much worse. Tyreek Hill punched, choked, and pushed his pregnant girlfriend down a flight of stairs.

Simmons is good. The only thing I know of as far as what kind of person he is was the trouble he got into as a recruit coming out of high school. Don't know of anything since he's been on campus. He clearly made a mistake. I think his sister was fighting with another female and Simmons got involved when his sister was taking a little bit of a beating or something to that effect. There was video, which is what sunk Simmons.

But lets be honest, the NFL is full of much worse. Tyreek Hill punched, choked, and pushed his pregnant girlfriend down a flight of stairs.

Ah, I didn't know it had to do with his sister. That certainly puts it in a different light/makes me feel better about the person - not that it excuses it.

I feel like how you address character is one of the more personal aspects of evaluating players, and I've definitely shifted more toward not even bothering with guys who have significant issues. Had Frank Clark as a 1st Round player, and while that turned out well, I think it was a mistake on my part - speaking of character concerns/not talent. I left McDowell, Cook, and Mixon off my board in 2017. To me, the player-evaluation aspect of the draft is about minimizing misses (obviously impossible to hit on everyone) as much as anything else. The other main aspect is determining what a realistic ceiling is for a given player.

From a purely cynical POV, going after Tyreek Hills on Day 3 is smart, but on Day 1 or 2, I think you can find lower-risk options with appealing talent. I'm removing guys like that from my board completely these days, because I just don't want to have any association with them (even in a board with no real-world implications).

Simmons was not on that level for me obviously - given that I listed him. And, again, the context of his sister makes me feel better about him. Appreciate the info, Slimm.

Ah, I didn't know it had to do with his sister. That certainly puts it in a different light/makes me feel better about the person - not that it excuses it.

I feel like how you address character is one of the more personal aspects of evaluating players, and I've definitely shifted more toward not even bothering with guys who have significant issues. Had Frank Clark as a 1st Round player, and while that turned out well, I think it was a mistake on my part - speaking of character concerns/not talent. I left McDowell, Cook, and Mixon off my board in 2017. To me, the player-evaluation aspect of the draft is about minimizing misses (obviously impossible to hit on everyone) as much as anything else. The other main aspect is determining what a realistic ceiling is for a given player.

From a purely cynical POV, going after Tyreek Hills on Day 3 is smart, but on Day 1 or 2, I think you can find lower-risk options with appealing talent. I'm removing guys like that from my board completely these days, because I just don't want to have any association with them (even in a board with no real-world implications).

Simmons was not on that level for me obviously - given that I listed him. And, again, the context of his sister makes me feel better about him. Appreciate the info, Slimm.

Yes, evaluating character and off field concerns are strictly up to the evaluator in my opinion. I think everybody tends to feel differently about different things. Personally, I don't think highly of anybody when it comes to being physical with your pregnant girlfriend or females.

However, I think young people tend to make mistakes. Secondly, I think young people are capable of learning from them. What I don't want to see is a pattern of trouble of bad decision making. It's probably a safe assumption there's not much learning going on in those situations.

I couldn't fault anybody for leaving the most talented player they've ever seen off their board if they're not comfortable with them as a person or their character. If that's how the evaluator feels - it's the right decision. It doesn't matter how good of a player he ends up being.

Really like Quinnen Williams, but I still have Oliver as DT1 and the top-ranked defensive talent in the draft. While both use their hands effectively and efficiently, I see Oliver as having an advantage in burst, agility, motor, and instincts. In the scheme of things, it may not matter much, but with every prospect having a little bit of bust built into their profile, I see Oliver as being the surer bet. I also view him as having the higher ceiling - because of his instincts and athletic traits.

That said, they're the two DT's I'd say Miami should target/consider in the 1st Round. While it's a strong DT group, those are the two that I most trust to warrant big contracts in 6 years. If Miami misses on Oliver/Williams in the 1st, given the depth of the class, I think they should target DT in Rounds 3 or 4.

So, I'm going to take this L in November rather than April. Quinnen Williams > Ed Oliver. Given the stage and level of competition, I can't remember a better performance by a DT. I still think Oliver is special, but Williams is just extra special.

So, I'm going to take this L in November rather than April. Quinnen Williams > Ed Oliver. Given the stage and level of competition, I can't remember a better performance by a DT. I still think Oliver is special, but Williams is just extra special.

When you're the best run stopper and the best rusher rolled into one at Alabama - you're pretty good. You can't single block him or double team him. You can't even effectively hold him.

One of Bama's offensive lineman compared him to trying to block a 300 pound wet bar of soap. He's on a different level. He's as good as I've ever seen at defensive tackle for Alabama - Bob Baumhower, Marcell Dareus....Q is probably better than any of 'em.

Williams v Bosa is a real debate.

Given way the game’s evolvution, I would place higher value on dominant edge rusher, but Williams is so dominant.

Williams v Bosa is a real debate.

Given way the game’s evolvution, I would place higher value on dominant edge rusher, but Williams is so dominant.

I’m going Williams over Bosa simply because I get a feeling Bosa might be injury prone. Probably unfair but he broke his leg senior year of high school and now this abdominal injury. I’m also a big fan of pressure up the middle and I like Williams more in that regard.

Williams was so dominant against LSU, holy. Does that kid have a weakness?

He is going to declare ?

He doesn't have a weakness on film. I view Elgton Jenkins right there with Lamont Gaillard at the top 2 Senior Center prospects in the country (both behind Junior Erik McCoy). Q beat him like a rented mule in every fashion. Jenkins became a little intimidated and started snapping the ball all over the place.

Gaillard will get a taste of it in Atlanta. McCoy could at least hold up to Q on most snaps.

He's a top 3 pick in my opinion, certainly the best defensive player in the country. He abused Isaiah Wynn in Atlanta last year also as a RS Freshman.

This Leki Fotu is a monster. Really good player. Pushes the pocket, takes on double teams, slips blocks, and has a relentless motor. Don't see many guys 6'5", 325 that can scrape down the LOS like he can. Kid runs down plays and makes tackles 15 or more yards downfield.

Has Jordan Phillips type skillset but more relentless and snap to snap consistency. Underrated player if he comes out early.

I would say DT is one of the positional targets for MIA Rd 1.
I’m hopeful Wilkins is available. Oliver would present value at 13. Personally not as high on Simmons.

We can fix DT with Wilkins Godcheaux Taylor and a FA signing.
I think we can allocate some $$ to a young DT given the rest of rotation will be on rookie contracts.
Fixing trenches is where we need to begin.

Would a trade up have to be done to pick up Quinnen Williams? Not that I’d want them to trade up for a DT, but stranger things have happened.

Back
Top Bottom