Slimm's 2020 Defensive Ends (underclassman) | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2020 Defensive Ends (underclassman)

I think his whole game is raw that’s why I’m saying 2 years from now might really have something. If he figures it out.

Tools look high level to me and top 20 pick worthy

I gotta agree the ceiling must be crazy to have his type of production being that raw.

I gotta agree the ceiling must be crazy to have his type of production being that raw.

Little bit of a Daniel Hunter feel to it for me. Maybe just with the length and the rawness. But this kid I take it has had more college production.

I think matos will test well. Maybe a little stiffness in the hips or maybe that was just recognition hesitation I was picking up on. Gonna ace the measurables and run scores I’d say. Long lower half

Little bit of a Daniel Hunter feel to it for me. Maybe just with the length and the rawness. But this kid I take it has had more college production.

I think matos will test well. Maybe a little stiffness in the hips. Gonna ace the measurables and run scores I’d say. Long lower half

Yea femur does seem long, upper body could fill out a little more.(in the arms).

I was thinking maybe Jared Allen ... hard nosed player that may not have the metrics. Kearse was all metrics.

That's a lot better. Kearse was like the Usain Bolt of defensive ends in terms of freakish body compared to norm.

Chase Young isn't anything like that. He's not as athletic as Jared Allen either, at least in terms of testing scores that we know about. But in terms of creative and relentless ways to get through traffic and finish the play. Allen is a good comparison.

I'll be interested to see if Chase Young does the combine stuff at all. It can only hurt him. All the subjective stuff is glowing but the numbers would likely be shockingly mediocre, kind of like Dalvin Cook at running back. That pushed him down. The pro day pushed Preston Williams out altogether. Chase Young has a reservoir of benefit of a doubt but not impossible the bad test scores could lead to a month of mentions and just enough concern to cause a drop of a few spots.

That's a lot better. Kearse was like the Usain Bolt of defensive ends in terms of freakish body compared to norm.

Chase Young isn't anything like that. He's not as athletic as Jared Allen either, at least in terms of testing scores that we know about. But in terms of creative and relentless ways to get through traffic and finish the play. Allen is a good comparison.

I'll be interested to see if Chase Young does the combine stuff at all. It can only hurt him. All the subjective stuff is glowing but the numbers would likely be shockingly mediocre, kind of like Dalvin Cook at running back. That pushed him down. The pro day pushed Preston Williams out altogether. Chase Young has a reservoir of benefit of a doubt but not impossible the bad test scores could lead to a month of mentions and just enough concern to cause a drop of a few spots.

Enlighten me... Doesn't skipping the combine kinda taint your "comparative athletics" by default?

I mean that's really ALL the combine shows -- how you measure relative to the field, right?

If that's correct, then by inference not participating (and of course doing all the front end training)

makes a "statement" by itself?

Enlighten me... Doesn't skipping the combine kinda taint your "comparative athletics" by default?

I mean that's really ALL the combine shows -- how you measure relative to the field, right?

If that's correct, then by inference not participating (and of course doing all the front end training)

makes a "statement" by itself?

You can only skip the combine and not suffer in reputation if you are considered super elite. Young would qualify. He probably will participate but I was merely saying he's one of the few who could consider it.

Sometimes the player dodges one test or a few related tests that he knows don't play to his strengths. For example, I think Haskins the klutz athlete refused to do any of the quickness drills last year. He knew he had first round status but he also knew he wasn't going to dazzle in the short shuttle or 3-cone a la Russell Wilson, so Haskins ran a token 40 but otherwise ducked out of there.

I listened to the 3-yards podcast tonight. Chris compared Chase Young to Jadeveon Clowney. That annoyed me because I almost made the identical comparison in my post this afternoon. The only reason I skipped it is that I thought Clowney was a couple inches taller and a bit heavier than Young...more of a power specimen while Young relies on guile. Then I looked it up tonight and the height/weight measurements are almost identical. That surprised me because it always seemed like Clowney had this massive wingspan.

I think that comparison could be more widespread in spring and especially if Young does do a full combine. Clowney was always viewed as an athletic freak subjectively but none of the athletic testing supported it. He wasn't projected as a bust. He was numerically projected as good but not great. Consequently the Waldo and SackSEER type forecasts were extremely high on Khalil Mack that year but only lukewarm on Clowney as an edge rusher.

I suspect the same will hold true of Chase Young. Fans right now act like he would be a nice consolation prize for Tua. Meanwhile Chase Young is very good but would often be a big candidate to disappear, like last week for most of the game against Michigan State.

I'm not sure of the comparison for Chase Young, maybe Chandler Jones. I think he's every bit as good as Demarcus Lawrence - just bigger. He's as good of a prospect already as Bradley Chubb was as a Senior coming out, and I had Chubb as the best player in the draft.

He's about as elite as an edge rushing prospect can get. Get off, hand usage and power are all NFL ready. His first step and swipe are just too much. He literally affects every single play that he's on the field. He's already surpassed both Bosa's in terms of consecutive games with a sack.

Smart. Recognizes misdirection plays and stays home - maintains leverage on the football so the guy can't get outside. He's pretty good on special teams too. Not sure what the doubters are seeing but the kid can play. Best defensive player in the country I've seen along with Derek Stingley.

I suspect the same will hold true of Chase Young. Fans right now act like he would be a nice consolation prize for Tua. Meanwhile Chase Young is very good but would often be a big candidate to disappear, like last week for most of the game against Michigan State.

Disappear? 4 tackles .5 sack, several pressures and he dropped back into coverage. If you think he disappeared you didn’t watch the game.

I'm not sure of the comparison for Chase Young, maybe Chandler Jones. I think he's every bit as good as Demarcus Lawrence - just bigger. He's as good of a prospect already as Bradley Chubb was as a Senior coming out, and I had Chubb as the best player in the draft.

He's about as elite as an edge rushing prospect can get. Get off, hand usage and power are all NFL ready. His first step and swipe are just too much. He literally affects every single play that he's on the field. He's already surpassed both Bosa's in terms of consecutive games with a sack.

Smart. Recognizes misdirection plays and stays home - maintains leverage on the football so the guy can't get outside. He's pretty good on special teams too. Not sure what the doubters are seeing but the kid can play. Best defensive player in the country I've seen along with Derek Stingley.

Wow. Strong words for mister Young!

I detect a tad of opinion variance on this dude -- ranging from "elite" to just "OK."

Should be interesting how it plays out!

Love young as a prospect. If I came off as trying to suggest he’s not worthy of one of the top picks, then I spoke wrong.

what I meant to suggest sorta went along w/ CKs thinking. I’m comfortable passing on him compared to other talent in the draft. Wouldn’t be upset w/ him - I’m completely comfortable leaving him on the board when our pick comes up

also I think nick bosa would have demolished OSUs sack record had he played the entirely of last season.

Back
Top Bottom