Smoke Screen | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Smoke Screen

DazedinMiami

Scout Team
Reaction score
Just an idea.. But is there any chance that Culpepper was our man the entire time and the whole Drew Brees thing was just a smoke screen. I mean if you really think about it, the media was all over us getting Brees and Culpepper was on the backburner a bit. We all know Nick's not about to show the media his cards. It makes me wonder why there was so much Brees talk. Everyone knows Minny was dying to dump Daunte.. Maybe just a second for Daunte is a steal.. I mean we got an unproven AJ Feely for a second...

IF SO NICK'S A GENIUS!!!

thoughts?

I'm pretty sure Brees was his first choice.

I don't know there would really be no point for it, Culpep was dying to come here, and no other teams had much interest in him.

No. Nick wanted Drew for all of the obvious reasons. He is a certain type of athlete/QB. He is probably one of the best at what he does - Delhomme, Hasselback, Brady, are similar types. I agree with Nick that Drew was probably set to be the best of this type of reliable, consistant, tough, conservative drop back QBs. This would have allowed for a machine approach to our offense.

Daunte on the other hand must have seemed very appealing as we dealt for Drew. He represents a unique athlete/QB. He will be incredible in that he offers a wild card dimension to the position. With our players coming to their collective maturation and peak we have a shot at being great for years to come.

Daunte must get healthy and stay healthy and that part is going to be difficult because fans like me do not want to wait one extra second.

It may not be unrealistic that we have to wait until October to get Daunte in the game. If we have an early season bye it may be worth waiting as 4 weeks could by us 6 or 7 in terms of his recovery.

I expect Nick and company will sign many more over the next 6 months. I would not be surprised if we sign up to 12 to 15 more in addition to our draft.

Thanks Nick. We fans are LOVING what you are doing with our franchise. With what you are doing is restoring our pride and our sense of illustrious history.

I really think Nick liked both QB's and was just weighing options because with Brees we would have lost the draft pick. That has to just be killing Saban losing that draft choice.

I really believe that because the final kicker came after the results of Bree's test that he had taken in Miami the night before. He even made a comment that what good is a condo on the beach if you can't put furniture in it. Meaning Brees was too much risk for the money he was asking for. Sounds like Pepp's knee is doing better than I was led to believe based on all the reports about how bad the injury was. Now there's talk he could be available week 1. I doubt this but if true this trade gets a lot better.

Pepp also seems to be the type of QB Saban goes for. He did wonders for his college QB, name escapes me but was NE back up for the last couple of years, but Pepp is so much better than he was. Gotta feel great for Chambers because he deserves a QB of Pepp's calibur because Chambers probably wont worry about out running his QB's arm and the entire NFL will finally get to see how good Chambers really is. Can't wait for the season to start should be very interesting.

Part of the draw with Brees is that Saban would not have to give up anything other than team money to get him. But after weighing what Brees wanted against the results of Brees' physical, they decided that the best option was to give up a pick and take Culpepper.

Brees is saying in the media that he basically wanted to be a Saint all along, and his extended visit with the Fins was nothing more than a formality. I don't buy it, particularly when everyone else and thier mother - along with pure logic alone - is saying that Brees' top choice was the Fins. Looked more to me like Condon and Brees played one too many innings of hardball at the negotiating table at a time when every minute counts.

And that's fine with me, I would have gone either way before the deal went down, I was happy to take either guy. But with the deal done and Culpepper now in aqua, the more I think about it the happier I am that Saban and Co. went the direction they did.

I think Brees was really the first choice, simply because there was no pick to give up. I think after they had a closer look at the medical Monday they were not going to give up that kind of money on that risk.

IAFINFAN said:
I really think Nick liked both QB's and was just weighing options because with Brees we would have lost the draft pick. That has to just be killing Saban losing that draft choice.

I really believe that because the final kicker came after the results of Bree's test that he had taken in Miami the night before. He even made a comment that what good is a condo on the beach if you can't put furniture in it. Meaning Brees was too much risk for the money he was asking for. Sounds like Pepp's knee is doing better than I was led to believe based on all the reports about how bad the injury was. Now there's talk he could be available week 1. I doubt this but if true this trade gets a lot better.

Pepp also seems to be the type of QB Saban goes for. He did wonders for his college QB, name escapes me but was NE back up for the last couple of years, but Pepp is so much better than he was. Gotta feel great for Chambers because he deserves a QB of Pepp's calibur because Chambers probably wont worry about out running his QB's arm and the entire NFL will finally get to see how good Chambers really is. Can't wait for the season to start should be very interesting.
Exactly. I think he liked both (and may have liked Culpepper more), but he doesn't like giving up picks which would make Brees more attractive. He thought if we can get Brees for a reasonable contract it may be worth it, but I think he figured that overall he would be saving alot more money with Pepp, which could allow us to add some bigger name FAs and still get a great QB, and that was the better choice.

DazedinMiami said:
Just an idea.. But is there any chance that Culpepper was our man the entire time and the whole Drew Brees thing was just a smoke screen. I mean if you really think about it, the media was all over us getting Brees and Culpepper was on the backburner a bit. We all know Nick's not about to show the media his cards. It makes me wonder why there was so much Brees talk. Everyone knows Minny was dying to dump Daunte.. Maybe just a second for Daunte is a steal.. I mean we got an unproven AJ Feely for a second...

IF SO NICK'S A GENIUS!!!

thoughts?

Here is a really strange idea. maybe there was no smoke screen :eek: . Maybe Just Maybe Saban wanted to upgrade the QB position and he was willing to look at any QB he felt could do that. I know that would just be nutty right?

[mod] don't circumvent the profanity filter [/mod]

Brees was Saban's first choice because of the no compensation to SD factor. DC had to be traded. Miami was Brees' first choice because of the Hurricane Katrina/Archie Manning factor. Brees underestimated the patience of Nick Saban and screwed himself in the process.

Right now, Brees is saying all the politically correct things, but you know he's hearing it at home from his wife and family. He's sitting in his lay-z-boy right now saying to himself, "I ****** up!"

Back
Top Bottom