so how do we beat the Pats?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Tannchise, Dec 6, 2017 at 5:21 AM.

1. Tannchise

Tannchise A True Fan

It certainly does help that Gronk is gone. But to me, they key is their running game. They have quietly been rushing for 200 yards a game the past two, and it is aided by very long runs by Burkhead and Lewis. How this offensive line has that push leads me to believe defenses are playing more nickel and dime packages to offset the run, and Pats, are countering with ball control. So with Gronk out, can Miami or should they have more personnel on the front and make Pats one-dimensional? I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. But Miami did get pressure on Brady the last game, so maybe they can dial up some pressure?

2. vcip

vcip Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

First get team to understand these 2 RB's are very stoppable. Don't be afraid of them and try and overreact with some elaborate scheme to stop Eric Dickerson and Adrian Petersen. Just look at the history of the players. very stoppable
    press coverage on WR's and blitz Brady a lot hitting him. So what if we give up big plays. Have been doing that anyway. At least hopefully hitting Brady at very least.
    Use FB with Drake no running from shotgun
    Move the pocket here and tehre and no bubble screens. Slants and crossing patterns instead.
    Feed Drake maybe try Parker in slot

3. BahamaFinFan78

BahamaFinFan78 A True Fan

Figure out a way to get Belichick to retire as soon as possible. Sadly, I think he is going to continue to win when Brady is gone. Every single piece of that team has been replaced over and over again and they are consistently the top team in the league. Even without Brady, they went 11-5 with Matt Cassel. They also went 4-0 or 3-1 without him last season. He seems to have a true "plug and play" system.

4. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler

You asking us? The Dolphins don't even know how to do that.

5. outlawd2u

outlawd2u Pro Bowler

With Cutler at QB? Pfft...

Kadiddlehopper likes this.
  6. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

7. Spiff

Spiff Starter Finheaven VIP

Realistically we are not beating the Patriots. They usually never lay an egg this late in a season.

Stoobz likes this.
  8. WestPhish

WestPhish Seasoned Veteran Donator

The simple answer is.....not this season.

9. dolphinheel

dolphinheel A True Fan

Bottom line is our lbs cant cover, especially Kiko. They will exploit that weakness as everyone else has all year. Bellicheat watches film.

Stoobz likes this.
  10. Dolphins512

Dolphins512 My Friends Call Me Bob Finheaven VIP Donator

To be successful against the Pats, you HAVE to pressure Tom Brady. We have to be creative on how we do that and we have to be consistent about it. That is the only way in my opinion....

Ben Had and Ray R like this.
  11. Avigatorx

Avigatorx Sec. 107 Row 2

Yup, break but dont bend.

Play them the way other teams play us.

Stack the LoS, press coverage all the way and hope our Pass rush can get to Brady before one of his get open.

On O....ugh. Gotta work their secondary, work their linebackers in the passing game. Pretty much what other teams do to us.

Control the clock, keep Brady off the field, hopefully keep the game close in the 4th quarter and hope we can make some plays.

12. chris66

chris66 Scout Team

You got a lot of pressure last game and got crushed.

13. NY8123

NY8123 Sophisticated Redneck Administrator Finheaven VIP

First you "Nancy Kerrigan" Brady's knee.

14. Tannchise

Tannchise A True Fan

I want to know what they did to clean up their pass defense from the first 4-6 games and if we can attack that again

15. DolfanISS

DolfanISS Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP

Here's my opinion:
    In the first game we hit Brady a lot, Probably many more times than the Patriots want to see him get hit. Dion Lewis averaged 7+ yards a carry vs our defense but only had 15 carries. I think NE will try to pound us more to limit the hits on Tom Brady. We have to shut down their running game or they'll keep our defense off balance all night (they probably will anyway). It wold be nice to get a lead and tee off on Brady but I'm pipe dreaming. nothing we've seen in 2017 supports that dream.

On offense, the Pats will force Cutler to be precise and make lots of plays to drive us down the field because they know he will likely make a mistake. He has to play a clean game and spread the ball around to make NE pay for taking away our best guy. Again highly unlikely. I have no clue how NE is hiding the front 7 made up of Jags. Maybe they're way more talented than I think but David Harris Corpse and Miami castoff Trevor Reilly see snaps on defense. We have to somehow attack their LB's in the passing game.

I don't think we'll win but I would love too. I live in NE and a friend of mine (Pats fan) goes down on occasion to watch this game. Miami's won the last 3 he's attended if you believe in Dumb superstition.

Stoobz likes this.
  16. ANUFan

ANUFan A True Fan Donator

Certainly not impossible but very difficult. Here's my thoughts

1) Control the clock. Which means a grind it out kind of game. Keep the ball mostly on the ground
    2) No T/O. It's hard enough beating the Patriots fairly so no giving them the ball off T/O
    3) No easy points/big gains. You have to limit those big gains. I'm talking to you in the secondary!!
    4) Make Bardy uncomfortable in the pocket.

^^^If we're able to accomplish half of these then you're looking at a 20-17 type game vs. a 36-10 kinda game.

17. Lionstone

Lionstone A True Fan

Get a lead and turn the dogs loose. The key to me is the OL. They looked pretty good versus a tough Denver defense. The second issue is getting the young corners to play confidently versus the Pats.

NoblePhin and 3rd N Long like this.
  18. biggrouper

biggrouper Scout Team

We have to win on 3rd down on both sides of the ball. Something we have found difficult this season. Offense needs to get to and convert third and short. Defense has to get off the field on 3rd and long.

Need to play clean too. Don't let the zebras move the chains for the Pats.

Ray R likes this.
  19. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

Keep on mind that defense was missing 3 starters and Miller got hurt in the game too. Will not be as easy against the pats

Ozzy rules!!

3rd N Long likes this.
  20. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

I agree to a point but what would really help our offense would be to win on FIRST and SECOND down. It's hard to win on 3rd down when you're 3 and 10 all the time. As far as our defense, yes, we need to do a much better job on 3rd down which won't be easy this week. The pats actually have a QB while Denver didn't. We have to win the turnover battle and the TOP but that's going to be hard too as our running game is very inconsistent. I can see Drake breaking a long run but really what we can use is for the running game to be steady instead of no gain, no gain, no gain and all of a sudden he breaks a long run and then back to no gain and on and on

Ozzy rules!!

Lionstone likes this.
  21. Tiko377

Tiko377 A True Fan

Pressure Brady

Stop Lewis(cant have linebackers lining up wrong)

22. Njphinsfan

Njphinsfan A True Fan

We go into hibernation until Brady, Belichek and the entire Dolphins FO and coaching staff retires and then when we wake up, we hope we have an offense that can score points and a LB who can tackle.

23. Ictoa88

Ictoa88 Member

Send Gronk a bunch of WWE videos the weeks leading up to the game

or

Sneak a bunch of processed sugar into Brady's morning avocado kale puree soup.

24. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Burn the Jolly Roger Moderator Finheaven VIP

25. royalshank

royalshank Practice Squad All-Pro Finheaven VIP Donator

Not trying to be a Debbie downer but we could play them 16 times this season and we’d be 0-16. They are too good for us without competent QB play.

26. montequi

montequi Middle Timer

With a baseball bat

Kadiddlehopper and elite14eva like this.
  27. elite14eva

elite14eva Yashu Mane!!! Donator

28. Tiko377

Tiko377 A True Fan

Patriots always do the short passes against us to make sure the Dline doesn't have enough time to get to Brady...Our CB's need to step up on Monday.

29. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

Lol you know Miami won’t do any of this

Ray R and vcip like this.
  30. DolfanISS

Suh is disappointed Gronk is out, he was looking forward to being the 2nd dirtiest player on the field.

HAHA, I've fed that one to a few over sensitive Pats fans and they hate it. It's funny how sensitive they are when all they have to do is talk about SB's to shut me up. They just truly believe in the Patriot way being more righteous than everybody else which is laughable.

randomname likes this.
  31. Wildbill3

Wildbill3 Misery Loves Company Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

32. Finland

Finland Pro Bowler

You beat them by having the best off season of all time.

33. Mrmeeseeks

Mrmeeseeks Active Member

Defensively know that New England uses different sets and personnel groupings to run the same play multiple times.

Everyone needs to stay home and trust that on any given play, no receiver at the end of the line will run an outside breaking route. Play man with this knowledge. Then everything else is just tackle. Make the tackle, you beat New England. They count on you missing tackles because nobody in the league does it but them and Seattle.

Offensively it doesn't matter because I know Gase won't gameplan on defense anyway so New England will have 3 scores by halftime just like the last 3 times they've played.

34. Tannchise

Tannchise A True Fan

good post. we have to get to 3rd and manageable. Play calling has to be smart. And they always convert on 3rd and long. Must be able to dial up pressure and avoid zone coverage.

35. Mrmeeseeks

Mrmeeseeks Active Member

Literally need to step up. But they'll be playing a soft zone and NE will pick up 7 yards per play because that's the Adam Gase way of defense.

36. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

You are right about the running game. That has really made things a lot easier on Brady and is a huge key in this game.

Honestly, I think the team needs to be really aggressive. Go for it on 4th and short, maybe try to steal a possession with an onside kicks or by converting a fake punt. Get off to a fast start and steal a possession and who knows.

37. teemu7

teemu7 A True Fan

We won't..and it will not be close. They will be super prepared and it will be 21-0 before you know it. It will be the same old 'Gase team is not ready for primetime....again'

and there will likely be more pats fans in the building too.

It's gonna get ugly.

38. DolfanISS

Probably! By the 2nd quarter I'll just be watching for hits on Brady again.

39. Dolphins81

Dolphins81 Well-Known Member

It’s simple...only way we win is if all of the Cheaters forget the game is Monday night and don’t show up. Seriously, look at how this team has played this year. We had one good dominant win against a totally **** team and now the delusional think that we are back in it lol. We will look like **** again and the Cheaters will win. I just want Suh and Wake to **** Brady up.

40. Danny68

Danny68 Dolphins on 3! Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

SWEEP THE LEG! :punch