So while Beck is steadily... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

So while Beck is steadily...

DJRoss

Starter
Reaction score
progressing in practice preparing himself to take the mantel of QB, Leader, field general.....

Brady Quinn is doing this: http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7008062090

Cam and company dodged a serious bullet here. I am sorry, but the frame of mind, attitude and general character of this individual would create a rift among the players vs the esprit de corp that Beck has already proven to bring to the Dolphins table. Beck is a team player to be sure. Quinn is all about Quinn. :err:

This Quinn **** will blow over eventually which'll then leave us left to evaluate him as a NFL QB. He could still prove that we made a mistake in passing him up.

I know it's very early to tell for certain, but I would have to agree based upon what both have shown of themselves so far. Beck really seems to be showing himself as a very team first, hard working individual, who has shown accuracy and ability in TC so far. Quinn has shown that it's all about money, even though he got drafted by the team he wanted to play for the most, and has shown nothing of note in camp other than a few bad passes and a TO style ego.
Who knows. Quinn may end up with a TO style ability as well, but from what I've seen so far, Beck sure looks like the better deal!

I wanted Quinn in the draft, but after hearing all the accuracy issues and the way offseason has been with him i'm liking Beck alot more.

Top 10 pick money!? Is he serious? He dropped for a reason, and it's probably good that we didn't take him because this not only affects one position. If we drafted Quinn, I don't think we would have ALL of our picks signed right now

Sorry Brady, you weren't a top 10 pick and if the Browns hadn't panicked and traded up, you could've been a second rounder. Take the market value contract with some incentives and prove yourself. If you're that good, you'll still have 2 big time contracts in your career.

On a side note, when espn keeps showing him throw in mini camp, his release is really inconsistent it comes off his hand very strangely sometimes, like he's palming the ball or something.

This Quinn **** will blow over eventually which'll then leave us left to evaluate him as a NFL QB. He could still prove that we made a mistake in passing him up.

Very true, but his stock has definitely continued to fall from the end of ND's season, to not throwing at the combine, to accuracy worries, to sliding in the draft and actually being lucky to get picked where he did, to bad mini-camp, to holding out for top 10 money when he was the #23 pick. There has been almost no positive news about him. Granted, people blow it up more than they should because he's the pretty boy, nd qb, but he's not exactly helping his cause w/ his early practices and his contract demands. I thought he was our pick, but I feel better and better about it as time passes. I also finally really watched him throw and I'm not sold.

Cam and company dodged a serious bullet here. I am sorry, but the frame of mind, attitude and general character of this individual would create a rift among the players vs the esprit de corp that Beck has already proven to bring to the Dolphins table. Beck is a team player to be sure. Quinn is all about Quinn. :err:

Actually, had the Dolphins drafted him at number 9, there most likely wouldn't have been the issues involved with him being drafted at number 22. Although with the way he has been handling himself since the draft there still may have been issues getting him signed on time, especially with Wayne's line in the sand.

All I can say is Beck looks to be an awesome pick & Quinn only makes him look better & better.

At this time, I'm very happy choosing Ginn over Quinn, and Beck being the future here.

I have always thought, since I first heard that Cameron was quizzing the QB's to test their mental ability, that passing on Quinn was a clear indicator that he was less than impressed with Brady Quinn upstairs,

one thing brady has to look forward to if signed is he will move from 22nd overall to #3 qb. thats a major improvement brady(sarcasm). i can just see him in the coaches office like a kid in the cereal isle when told he can't have it.

Very sentient point FF...

Top 10 pick money!? Is he serious? He dropped for a reason, and it's probably good that we didn't take him because this not only affects one position. If we drafted Quinn, I don't think we would have ALL of our picks signed right now

His selfish behavior would have made it impossible for Miami to have drafted a complete class the way they have. Even the UFA's cost money and trying to compete with a 40+ million contract with over half of that in guaranteed cash would have meant that Miami would have to rely on their defense with very little shoring amongst the graying veterans, and as far as offense is concerned, forget about it.

Another problem is chemistry. This quote in particular would worry me if I were coaching the team..."I'd love to be there competing for the starting job," Quinn told the Cleveland Plain Dealer. "But it's a long contract, and I have to make sure it's fair in the event I become the starter."

coupled with his I'll be ready to go quip.

This is the team that Quinn supposedly has always wanted to play for, even as a little boy. Beck had always admired Ty Detmer as a kid growing up, and he even named his kid after Detmer for this reason. Beck had always wanted to play for BYU, and when he was recruited he didn't hesitate. Beck considered his offer from Miami an honor, and when he spoke about watching Marino play growing up you take it to heart. He can feel his sincerity. When you make claims of always wanting something and than you balk at the chance due to money issues (at this level it is ridiculous), than what you are really saying is that it is the money and not the chance to play that is your priority. All the blather about always wanting to play for the Browns is just that, blather.

What we reveal about ourselves through our actions speaks volumes concerning our character.

I wanted Quinn in the draft, but after hearing all the accuracy issues and the way offseason has been with him i'm liking Beck alot more.

Thats kinda how I feel. If Quinn turns into a bust and Ginn is excellent(which I think he will be), I will eat all the crow Coach Cam wants me to. haha:lol:

I have to agree. I seem to remember Matt Leinart holding out for more money thinking he was worth more than was offered given his draft position, and well, Matt's turning out pretty darn well.
Of course I want Beck to do better than Quinn but let's just see what happens. Don't get all worked up over the smallest thing that can be interpreted as the defining factor of why drafting Quinn was a mistake. Let's focus on the Fins.

progressing in practice preparing himself to take the mantel of QB, Leader, field general.....

Brady Quinn is doing this: http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7008062090

After reading this article about what it is like to be a bigtime QB, it looks like John has a lot of the attributes you look for.

"But it takes a special breed to be a great quarterback, with a unique mix of attributes. This is Tedford's five-part recruiting checklist when shopping for a QB:

1. Mental and physical toughness. "Obviously, physically, you're going to take a pounding, and you've got to get up and have your team follow you. You have to be mentally tough because if you throw a couple picks, you've got to be tough enough to come back."

2. Intelligence. "You've got to be able to understand and control the offense."

3. Competitiveness. "We look for a guy who wants the ball in his hands with the game on the line."

4. Escape dimension. "Not everything happens the way it's drawn up. We want a guy who can elude the rush and make something happen when a play breaks down."

5. Natural throwing motion. "He's got to be able to get the ball around the field."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=2952849&sportCat=ncf

This is just for college QBs. You probably need to add about 5-10 more attributes in order to have a top NFL guy like Peyton Manning. You really do have to give the top QBs a lot of respect. Those guys seem to have the world on their shoulders every week.

I hope John is up for the challenge. From what I've heard about him, he is. He still has lots to learn but he strikes me as the kind of guy that will pick things up pretty quick. They say he already knows the playbook pretty darn well. His wife and other people are probably quizzing him when he least expects it all the time.

Being an NFL QB is a tough job. But ... if you're really good ... you might end up with a $100+ million fortune with bigtime endorsements, worldwide fame, streets named for you, etc. .... all that good stuff. The rewards are definitely there. You don't have to be a 1st round draft pick to get there either ... just ask 6th round draft pick, Tom Brady.

Quinn might become a better pro than Heath Shular....but I dought it. I was shocked when we didn't pick him but I am very excited to see Ted Ginn jr. signed and impressing in camp. Also glad to hear how good Beck looks in practice. (Green too for that matter)

Back
Top Bottom