Soccernet's Breakdown of Possible US Roster for 06 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Soccernet's Breakdown of Possible US Roster for 06

Some things in that article are totally off. They have Kasey Keller as Secure and Tim Howard as safe. Howard is a lot better, he may not have the experience with the US, but he has played quite a few games for the US and he plays for one of the biggest teams in the world. Howard is a lock to make the US roster if he is healthy, and so is O'Brien. O'Brien is a starter for Ajax and is definitely one of our best players. If he is healthy (which isn't very often), he is on the roster.

However, it's too early to be talking about 2006. The tournament is 2 and a half years away. I think we will qualify, but we don't know for sure if we will be there. Anything can happen. It's too early to talk about who will be there in 2006 since we don't even know how good or bad our players will be by then.

Actually it is exactly 2 years away. It is in June of 2006. The summer of my HS graduation. It will be a nice way to end the year. Howard is not better then Keller, do not even get me started on that one.

Prime Time said:
Actually it is exactly 2 years away. It is in June of 2006. The summer of my HS graduation. It will be a nice way to end the year. Howard is not better then Keller, do not even get me started on that one.

Which explains why Howard starts for Manchester United while Tottenham Hotspur won't be starting Kasey Keller next year. Tottenham signed Leeds United keeper Paul Robinson who frequently gets called up to the England squad, and they didn't sign him to be a backup. If Keller doesn't leave, and I doubt he will get any interest from other EPL teams, he will not start next year.

Just because someone prefers a younger player, doesn't mean they are better. Keller is a better keeper at this point in time than Howard but that can and probably will change.

I believe that squad is only for the first phase of qualifying, not the second phase. Second phase I believe would have Tim Howard as starting goalkeeper. I think he deserves it. I'm not saying Keller is bad, he's alright. But I do think Friedel is still slightly better than Keller.

And here's a personal opinion that might get blasted: Reyna needs to go, he's at the point of his career where we have him starting because we remember his younger days. McBride, one of my favorites, is not up to par. I have no idea what happened to him but he looks washed up too. Landon is not getting better, although he's still pretty good, we should be considering someone with more depth if we truly want to advance far in the World Cup. I was never convinced with Beasly. He's weak and unintimadating yet scores a goal here and there, but nothing consistent. Gibbs is dones, and Bocanegra is not reliable.

Howver I do like Chris Armas, Tony Sanneh, Bobby Convey, Clint Mathis, John O'Brien, and Damani Ralph. Why hasn't anyone mentioned Ralph? This is probably one of the best strikers we have.

Dolfan02 said:
I believe that squad is only for the first phase of qualifying, not the second phase. Second phase I believe would have Tim Howard as starting goalkeeper. I think he deserves it. I'm not saying Keller is bad, he's alright. But I do think Friedel is still slightly better than Keller.

And here's a personal opinion that might get blasted: Reyna needs to go, he's at the point of his career where we have him starting because we remember his younger days. McBride, one of my favorites, is not up to par. I have no idea what happened to him but he looks washed up too. Landon is not getting better, although he's still pretty good, we should be considering someone with more depth if we truly want to advance far in the World Cup. I was never convinced with Beasly. He's weak and unintimadating yet scores a goal here and there, but nothing consistent. Gibbs is dones, and Bocanegra is not reliable.

Howver I do like Chris Armas, Tony Sanneh, Bobby Convey, Clint Mathis, John O'Brien, and Damani Ralph. Why hasn't anyone mentioned Ralph? This is probably one of the best strikers we have.

You are right man. I am going to blast you for this. What are you talking about? Reyna has been out of shape due to his injury and is just now getting back into the mix of things. Did you see him vs Honduras? Great crosses, great free kicks, and great corners. McBride is still doing what he has been doing since the WC. He is our main striker who scores some nice goals. Did you see his lefty shot vs Honduras? Donovan is solid, and could be a lot better If he decided to go to play in Europe but right now he is in the MLS and his skills are not flourishing like they can. Beasley is a player. If he would put on a little more wait, he would be a good force to be reckoned with. Now this is where you cross the line beyond the point where you can't see it. Gibbs has done a great job at the back with the playing time he has been given. Remember last year vs Brazil? Instead of giving up an automatic goal, he sacrifices himself with a handball in the area. Direct red card, but had Keller saved it, he would have been a hero. That is smarts. And Bocanegra is a strong defender who RARELY gets beat. Not only that, but the man can header and can help out in the attack too.

Damani Ralph? Come on man, this guy is nothing great. Armas is solid, but I do not see him as a starter for the US. Maybe as a backup who fills in wholes for injured guys.

Dolfan02 said:

I agree with you on the keeper situation. Howard is our best keeper, followed by Friedel and then Keller.

Reyna is still good enough to play for the US. I do think he has started to decline but he isn't done yet. I totally disagree with you about McBride. He is our second best striker after Donovan. He should be starting for us. Donovan is the best striker we have, and Beasley is pretty good as well. Also, Bocanegra is our best and most reliable defender. You can blast some these players, but some of these guys are our best players and they are guys we need.

Ralph is a very good player and he could definitely play on the US team. The reason he doesn't is because he is Jamaican. Jamaica has called Ralph up to a friendly before and I think they are going to use him in World Cup Qualifiers. Ralph is easily one of the best strikers in MLS.

Beasley is a freaking burner, the boy is flat out pure speed. I do wish he'd put a little more mass on, so he can fight a little harder in the box. His movement and positioning off the ball is great, but he seems to lack the creativity to create for others.

Landon, while he can be good, plays too soft for me. I see him flop and complain way too much. Maybe it's my jaded view since I played center D for 14 years and I hate most strikers. He's just not consistent enough for my taste and while he does play hard and moves well, he seems to lack something in truly finishing with the ball.

ChrisKo said:
Beasley is a freaking burner, the boy is flat out pure speed. I do wish he'd put a little more mass on, so he can fight a little harder in the box. His movement and positioning off the ball is great, but he seems to lack the creativity to create for others.

Landon, while he can be good, plays too soft for me. I see him flop and complain way too much. Maybe it's my jaded view since I played center D for 14 years and I hate most strikers. He's just not consistent enough for my taste and while he does play hard and moves well, he seems to lack something in truly finishing with the ball.

Another soccer fan. :woot: You should post more often, It would be awesome to talk to more than 2 people about soccer. I agree that Beasley is a good player, has some good speed, but yeah I agree a little more weight would help us out. He doesn't lack creativity, he has made some wonderful plays, he is just inconsistant with it.

Landon also is a good young player. I believe he should go to Europe so his skills can achieve the maximum level they can reach. I agree, that he complains a lot, but he doesn't flop as often. He is not consistant because his roll is always being changed. Either it is attacking midfield, or midfield, or foward. His roll just changes. He also knows how to finish the ball, but could learn how to even better If he went to Europ like I stated. All in all, they are both good skilled players.

Back
Top Bottom