Social Anxiety Disorder: My theory as to why he quit in the fashion that he did. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Social Anxiety Disorder: My theory as to why he quit in the fashion that he did.

SkapePhin

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
I immediately took a liking to Ricky once he landed in Miami. I didnt know much about him before, but once I heard his story, and his struggles I could see much of myself within his personality. Behavior which appears odd to the oustide world is just an outward expression of inner self-doubt. When you dont feel comfortable in your own skin, you do things that just seem weird to other people..

Like Williams, I sometimes feel overwhelmed by certain social situations. And I feel I have an understanding as to why and how he quit.

Anxiety is a funny thing.. Its a slow process.. You feel it in your gut. I builds gradually, the pressure becomes greater.. Its normally something you fear the outcome of or the situation itself, so you put it off.. You try to postpone the inevitable.. But the anxiety is there.. Its as if you are one of those squeezy stress balls and the people and situations around you are the hand squeezing it to its limit.. These forces sometimes feel overwhelming. For me, these situations have happened most often with school..

Although this is not an example of social anxiety per se, it is anxiety. Ive often had deadlines for papers, or a test that I should be studying for.. I know I need to study for it. I know that if I dont and mess it up I will be letting myself down, as well as my family.. I put it off a little, procrastinate, but its always in the back of your mind.. yet, you just cant bring yourself to do it..Its as if something in you is just blocking you from physically completing this task you know you need to do. So what happens.. The last possible second I scramble to do something... This normally means waking up at 4am to finish a 10 page paper for a 9 am class.. not real smart, I know better, but for some reason I can not finish this simple task in a normal fashion. This is anxiety.. Then, you fear the consequences of your irrespoinsible actions.. so what do you do? You avoid it. You try not to think about it.. you dont ask for the grades.. You brush off any questions about your progress.. You are in denial..

Now for social situations, the second you walk into a room you feel as if everyone is looking at you, pickin you apart in their minds. "What are they thinking of me?" constantly runs through your head, even though there is truly nothing to worry about. What occurs is that your mind betrays you.. Constantly filling your head with doubts, scenarios, possible bad outcomes... So you freeze, you stumble, you avoid the situation..

This is what happens with anxiety, and particularly social anxiety you just do not want to confront others that you feel you have let down in some way.. You do not want to place yourself in possibly awkward, harmful, uncomfortable situations. Cowardly, yes.. but it is almost without thought.. The pressure is making you act in this way.. What Ricky did was just that.. He ran.. He waited til the pressure (being drug allegations, stress toward upcoming season, etc) in him had peaked, cracked, and ran.. This is a direct result of his social anxiety problems imo.. I KNOW he feels terrible, but cant bring himself to correct it.

He says he wants anonynomity, yet he knows this will never happen.. Now he will just have infamy, which will be even worse for him to confront. He knows he let his teamates down, he knows he let his fans down, he knows he let his charities down, he knows he let himself down, but he fears that moment in which he would have to confront them all.. This, is why I feel he will not return..

Its really difficult to explain the conflicting emotions that come with severe anxiety.. but it is real and it can control a person to do things that they may not really wish to do..

IMO, this whole thing comes down to getting caught with his marijuana use, He knew that if he failed another he would let alot of people down, and the media crush would be unbearable.. He thought too much about it.. He feared this result and being there to confront it.. so he did what is instinctive, he ran, leaving the hopes and dreams of his teamates and a city in his wake.

(BTW, he has been off medication for awhile according to LeBatard)

Its truly a shame that his career had to end in this manner.. All the positive things he could have done with his notoriety are now all but gone.. He succumbed to his illness, and let it control him. Do not take this as an excuse, because it really isnt one, but maybe this will serve to help people better understand the situation.

I relate to both yours and Ricky's struggles immensely (hence my alias "enigmatics" on everything I do online).............good post.......... and it's obvious Ricky's hit his cracking point. You don't just all of the sudden turn into "complete happiness" the way Ricky has after being what he was for so long. It takes dedication and working at yourself in order to break the confines of a bad mental makeup.

Im sorry, this team doesnt need anymore excuses. Im not putting you or your post down, i just cant handle excuses right now. :fire:

Like I said, it still doesnt excuse it.. He really should have never put himself or the team in this situation.. He obviously has a sever case of this.. Maybe the situation should have been better monitored by people around him, but nontheless.. He ran, and he will eventually have to deal with the consequences in some way or another..

BTW, The team and fans have every right to be angry as hell, and Im sure he knows they are..

Ricky's decision reminds us of is the fact that our favorites sports heroes are humans. They have cares, worries and other interests in life. I think social anxiety was a factor in Ricky's decision, but I also think that he just wanted to be happy. He says he's looking for "the truth". It sounds like he realizes there is more to life than football. (yes the timing of his decision stinks)

SAD, like all mental illness, is a very comlplex process. It was my understanding that Ricky felt "fine" on the field, but his anxiety kicked up when speaking to the press and doing apperances. Perhaps his illness was changing and he began to feel anxious on the field.
Mental illness is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain. Medication is the only was to correct the imbalance. Pot may make him feel better in the short term. But long term, he's in for some serious problems if he doesn't go back on the meds and get therapy.

I have an anxiety disorder. (Hard to believe from someone who has been a stripper.) There are times that I just get extremely stressed out over the stupidest little things. There are a lot of times that I am faced with a decision, and instead of choosing what I want, I choose what I think everyone else wants me to choose.I let things bottle up inside me, and every now and then, things just build up too much. If Ricky's disorder is truly the problem, then I feel sorry for him. I know first hand what toll an anxiety disorder can take sometimes.

Look, Ricky has delt with this disorder in the past, he got help, got meds went on a every major TV outlet with Terry Bradshaw for the Company that makes Paxil yada yada yada....
IF it is his anxiety disorder rearing it's ugly head then GET HELP. Marijuana is not a cure but a cop out. But we are speculating, we do not know.
This could all just be the behavior of a selfish man looking for a new contract structure.
Or
This could be the behavior of someone who really wanted out (but if it were he would still be in Asia instead of the "Ricky Williams tour 2004").

Believe me I understand mental illness, I've delt with it personally also.
But what Ricky is doing may not have anything to do with his anxiety disorder.

I really feel it plays a major part.. It may not be the only reason.. But I could see this reasoning occur.. Think about it.. It all so irrational.. and that is what such things do to someone.. make them do irrational things.

What Ricky did is more related to being a total *******, than to anxiety. He has known about his disorder for a long time. Leaving the week before training camp when all other backs have been picked up is just the sign of an emotional imbecile and not someone with a disorder. Unless that disorder is that you don't give a rat's behind about other people ..... ie fans, team mates, coaches.

I think we all know that Ricky has had a problem for a long time..... hopefully he can get help and come back one day. Maybe he just needs a break. We'll all survive.

Back
Top Bottom