Some info on Storm Johnson, Running Back from UCF | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Some info on Storm Johnson, Running Back from UCF

Have you seen any other games that he's played in? Perhaps taking a single game from his first year at UCF really isn't the best way to get an accurate depiction of what he's like as a runner...
Nobody said it was. You're the one that brought up his 6.9 ypc when it was actually 6.3 ypc all because of one chunk run. All i said was "i did not come away too impressed by that video". Did you watch it? If so were you impressed? If you were impressed, why and if you weren't why not? Do you have a video of him that impresses you? If so I'd like to see it. I don't feel like i've seen enough of him to get an accurate depiction of what he's like as a runner...

Nobody said it was. You're the one that brought up his 6.9 ypc when it was actually 6.3 ypc all because of one chunk run. All i said was "i did not come away too impressed by that video". Did you watch it? If so were you impressed? If you were impressed, why and if you weren't why not? Do you have a video of him that impresses you? If so I'd like to see it. I don't feel like i've seen enough of him to get an accurate depiction of what he's like as a runner...

If you read the original post you'll see what I said about him.

But in the video
26 second mark, gains 3 or 4 when nothing is there.
32 mark quickly gets through a hole on a cutback, gets 7 yards initially and then keeps his legs churning to carry 5 players past the first down marker.
1 minute mark draws pass interference call in the endzone
1:26 on a screen pass, turns around immediately to a defender, shakes him off, maneuvers his way for a 15+ yard screen play
Next play, long run, manages to keep feet in bounds to gain extra yards
2:16 cutback, takes what defense gives him, gains six

Again, this is in his sophomore season, and first year playing for UCF.

I did read your original post, I was asking specifically about this video. I watched a couple more videos on him. Counldnt really find much. His penny state game was impressive. I can definitely see what you're saying about trying to hit home runs early in his career. Seems like he left a lot of yardage on the field by being impatient and running past his blocks before they could engage their defender. He seemed to be better at setting defenders up his second season so obviously he's coachable. Im still trying to peg his running style. Not quite there yet.

I think it was marijuana use that got Storm into trouble with the Canes. That has been reported on several Canes sites. And it's hardly been restricted to Storm Johnson alone. The issue has plagued Seantrel Henderson and many other players. Apparently during the Randy Shannon era the coaching staff didn't care about marijuana use, particularly during the offseason. Oh, they might have said the right things publicly but the players quickly realized the enforcement wasn't there. Consequently the players got comfortable breaking the rules, especially at their on-campus housing.

When Al Golden got the job, the situation reversed dramatically. Suddenly it wasn't lip service. Golden views drug use as a significant offense. But the players didn't want to believe it. The same situations that prompted a look-away under Shannon suddenly led to warnings and suspensions under Golden. That was particularly true during the period after spring practice but before fall practice. Miami has had many issues during that stretch from April to August, lots of kids getting suspended and leaving the program. The kids think it doesn't matter if they are using minor drugs when nothing is going on other than UTough drills and other conditioning programs.

Storm Johnson looked good as a freshman and also in the spring game following his freshman year. Then quickly the word spread on Canes forums that he was in trouble with Golden. It was Golden's first year, specifically his first offseason. Within a month or two after the spring game Storm announced he was transferring. None of us understood it at the time, until many other players encountered trouble during the same time frame in subsequent years under Golden.

Anyway, I like Storm Johnson but I think he's become somewhat overstated, partially due to the transfer situation. That seems to attach intrigue that isn't always warranted. Nice gliding runner but not particularly big or explosive or intense. I was just starting to compare Storm with Lamar Miller when Storm departed. Storm has greater variety in his game but less of a threat to take it the distance, regardless of Miller's trouble in the open field last season. I thought they were both 3rd or 4th round caliber complimentary backs and I'll stick with that.

I loved watching storm at UCF...

as a ucf fan I know kevin smith ran a faster 40 than storm at the combine but it always looked like storm was faster on the field with pads on...that could also be because UCF had to run smith where their offense was much more balanced this year...

The only negative I have with storm is he dropped a bunch of balls this year...I wonder if he was lazy with the ball all those times or is it a hand sized thing like ricky had...

I've worked at UCF from 2007 up until Jan 2014 and saw both Smith and Storm play. I have no doubts about Storm other than that d@mn fumbeling. He does it too much. That has cost him alot of money in the NFL. Instead of going in rd 2 or 3, I think he goes later.

Living in Colorado, I don't have any issues with a guy using pot :d-day:, just as long as he doesn't fail a drug test. It's not like the guy beats or gets stabbed by his girlfriend, or has a big rap sheet. I think RB's like Sankey, Mason and Carey could be taken anywhere from the 2nd-4th round......it would be nice picking up a quality RB like Storm Johnson later on. :up:

I've worked at UCF from 2007 up until Jan 2014 and saw both Smith and Storm play. I have no doubts about Storm other than that d@mn fumbeling. He does it too much. That has cost him alot of money in the NFL. Instead of going in rd 2 or 3, I think he goes later.

I would guess 4th round but wouldn't be surprised if he snuck into the 3rd.

In terms of style, Storm always reminded me of a smaller Sammie Smith. I know that name carries negative impressions around here but it's meant as a compliment. Storm is very talented, like Sammie, but he fumbles too much and also like Sammie he often can look like a special player one week but not really jump out at you the next week. Too much reliance on natural ability with inconsistent intensity level.

The difference, of course, is that Storm won't cost a premium pick.

Back
Top Bottom