Something interesting to think about (its actually good news) ... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Something interesting to think about (its actually good news) ...

jg772006

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
Many times on this forum, we have all discussed on who from our Phins should make the HOF ... whether its as a senior candidate (D. Anderson, Jake Scott, etc.) ... modern-era candidate (Richmond Webb, Zach Thomas, etc.) ... contributor candidate (Joe Robbie) ... or who currently on the Phins has a shot at the HOF some day (Suh & Wake).

Earlier today, the HOF seniors committee submitted their two candidates as the "senior finalists" for next years HOF class. They are former Oilers LB Robert Brazile, and former Packers G Jerry Kramer. Jerry Kramer is the more interesting one, and heres why.

First things first ... he should have went in not years ago, but DECADES ago, so congrats to him ... and odds are he will probably make it in finally, unless the committee decides to be cruel. Now, what does this have to do with "potential Dolphins" getting in the HOF?

The interesting thing about Jerry Kramer, is that for years, he was #1 in "most finalist selections/appearances" without ever making it to the Hall. This is his 11th time as a "finalist" for the HOF (9 as a modern candidate ... 2 as a senior nominee). If (when) Jerry gets elected to the HOF this coming Feb, you know who would then be the new all time leader in "most finalist selections/appearances for the HOF, but not yet elected"?

BOB KUECHENBERG

Bob was a finalist for 8 straight years in a row, from 2002 to 2009 but missed the cut every year. If (when) Kramer gets in (after 11 tries), Kuech would be the new leader in "HOF finalist selections/appearances, without getting elected" with 8.

Just something to think about in the coming years. I think with Jerry hopefully going in, if he does ... itll open the door a little bit more Kuech. After Kramer, Kuechenberg is definitely the next old-timer "guard" that should make the HOF, and hopefully he does.

I just hope Zach gets in sometime in my lifetime. I know I'm biased but damn I can't imagine he's not viewed that way on the outside. So many see him as one of those "hall of very good" players but he always had that high impact play it seemed when he was out there. If a guy got stuffed at the line, had a turnover or dropped a ball it was usually because Zach was in the middle of it and made it happen. Sometimes I could call it when listening to what was happening- oops, dropped ball, turnover-must be Thomas on the play.

Hope he gets his due!

Great point. Kramer was before my time and I was young when Kuech played but I remember him. I've read a lot about both championship teams they were on. I like the parallels.

I think Kuechenberg's accomplishments speak for themselves. Unfortunately, that Dolphins team has already sent a lot of guys to the Hall, and people have started to resent the team for being the only group that could go undefeated in the modern era.

So I don't know if he'll ever get in, but he should. He should.

I just hope Zach gets in sometime in my lifetime. I know I'm biased but damn I can't imagine he's not viewed that way on the outside. So many see him as one of those "hall of very good" players but he always had that high impact play it seemed when he was out there. If a guy got stuffed at the line, had a turnover or dropped a ball it was usually because Zach was in the middle of it and made it happen. Sometimes I could call it when listening to what was happening- oops, dropped ball, turnover-must be Thomas on the play.

Hope he gets his due!

Zach Thomas played on a relatively bad football team and was never a self-promoter. Zach was a 5 time first team all pro, and 2 time second team all pro in 11 seasons with Miami. People remember Thomas as a guy who just went out there and made stop after stop, but he also made big plays. 17 interceptions, 4 defensive touchdowns, and was widely recognized as one of the best middle linebackers in football during the same era as guys like Ray Lewis (first ballot HoF) and Brian Urlacher.

His resume is Hall of Fame worthy. Period.

It's a shame that "tackle for loss" isn't a widely used statistic.

Bob Kuechenberg belongs in the Hall of Fame. His signature game came in the super bowl when he absolutely dominated Alan Paige in the super bowl.

Hope he gets in. I also think Dick Anderson should be, but it's pretty hard for safeties.

Kuechenberg's spot in the HOF was hijacked by Jim Langer YEARS ago. I have never understood how Langer got in with such a short and seemingly nondescript career. The fact that Langer got in will make it much harder to put Kooch in. I can understand Stephenson making it but not Langer... and Stephenson's making it is in itself even yet another hurdle for Kooch. How many Dolphin OL can they select? With 3 already in, Kooch is trapped in a numbers game.

I even think Dick Anderson should be in the HOF instead of Jason Taylor. The Dolphins have a strong historical footprint in the NFL BUT their team accomplishments in later years have been minimal. Anderson won more, made more big-impact plays, and had a stronger finish to his career all in Miami.

Last edited:
Kuechenberg's spot in the HOF was hijacked by Jim Langer YEARS ago. I have never understood how Langer got in with such a short and seemingly nondescript career. The fact that Langer got in will make it much harder to put Kooch in. I can understand Stephenson making it but not Langer... and Stephenson's making it is in itself even yet another hurdle for Kooch.

You must not remember watching Langer then. He was as dominant a run blocking Center that's ever played. He bucked the odds to make the team after being claimed off the Browns taxi squad. He, Kooch and Carl Mauck, who had a long career with the Oilers, all fought for the starting Center job in '70. I recently read Mike Freemans book 'Undefeated' again and it said he played every offensive down in '72, and only needed blocking help on 3 of over 500 plays that year. Plus, he played 141 straight games. As a ****ing Center! Langer most definitely belongs in the Hall. He and Stephenson aren't what's kept Kuechenberg out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom