Sounds like Bama is in | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sounds like Bama is in

I remember in 1996 when Florida St. beat Florida 24-21 in the regular season... only to have to beat them again in the national championship game a month later. Except Florida St. lost 52-20 in the rematch.

Teams have to beat other teams twice all the time in the NFL in order to win the superbowl. They have to do it in MLB in order to win a world series. It happens in every sport.

I remember when Duke beat Michigan in the regular season in basketball several years back... only to have to face them again in the national title game. Duke lost.

I'm all for a playoff.

If the rest of the country is having a hard time with this one, I can't imagine how much hair they'll pull out once we have a playoff format.... this would only be the beginning of more all SEC national championship games than the rest of the country can handle...
To be fair that comparison is somewhat apples-to-oranges. It was a different system back then based almost solely on bowl tie-ins and the UF-FSU Sugar Bowl was a #1 vs. #3 matchup and the two had just rematched in the Sugar Bowl two years earlier. They both won their conferences too. It was only set up as a title game because Nebraska lost to Texas in the Big XII title game that year and Ohio State beat undefeated #2 ASU in the last minute of the Rose Bowl that year.

All that said, this rematch doesn't bother me at all. Bama lost an OT thriller by a FG to what is without a doubt the best team in college football. I won't mind watching it again. If OSU hadn't lost to a 27 point dog, this discussion would not be happening right now.

To be fair that comparison is somewhat apples-to-oranges. It was a different system back then based almost solely on bowl tie-ins and the UF-FSU Sugar Bowl was a #1 vs. #3 matchup and the two had just rematched in the Sugar Bowl two years earlier. They both won their conferences too. It was only set up as a title game because Nebraska lost to Texas in the Big XII title game that year and Ohio State beat undefeated #2 ASU in the last minute of the Rose Bowl that year.

All that said, this rematch doesn't bother me at all. Bama lost an OT thriller by a FG to what is without a doubt the best team in college football. I won't mind watching it again. If OSU hadn't lost to a 27 point dog, this discussion would not be happening right now.

Which was my point, even though I didn't mention Nebraska. Nebraska messed their britches against Texas, just like Oklahoma St. messed theirs against Iowa St. when they controlled their own destiny and were already #2 in the BCS after Bama lost to LSU.

Different system, almost an identical scenario, except this one is actually much cleaner.

It's a clear #1 vs. #2 matchup given the system that's currently in place. Being a conference champion is irrelevant in a playoff or the BCS... there's no point in bringing it up.

its the best matchup...both lsu and bama would chew up okla st in a matchup...i'm fine with lsu bama all over again...and just like the last time i'm sticking with lsu...looks like another field position and specials game to me

Both Alabama and Oklahoma St. lost control of their own destiny when they lost. Bama lost to the #1 team in the country in overtime by a field goal. Oklahoma St. lost to an unranked team.

The bottom line is both teams had to leave it up to the system... and the system got it right. The two best teams in the country will play for the national title.
Pretty much sums it up. As much as I would have liked to see Luck and Weeden go against SEC defense, that's strictly the NFL fan in me talking. The NCAA fan agrees with this. I'd kill to be in New Orleans on Jan. 9th.

Actually, maybe I'll fly down just to be in the city during the game. Good times!

what a complete joke college football is. 'Bama had a chance to beat LSU on their HOME FIELD, 'Bama didn't even make their conf title game yet they will play for the National Championship. CFB is such a disgrace.

game wont be the same as last time....

each team will score at least 20.

but these are the best two teams in the nation...period.

thats what the BCS is designed to do put the best two teams in nation in the NCG game.

Sorry, 'Bama had their shot and lost at HOME. I like 'Bama, I'll root for them but they do nto deserve this title game, they didn't even make their conf title game. CFB is a complete joke.

Sorry, 'Bama had their shot and lost at HOME. I like 'Bama, I'll root for them but they do nto deserve this title game, they didn't even make their conf title game. CFB is a complete joke.

No..they got it right...Ok St..screwed their shot...to a 25 point underdog.
Bama has 5 All-Americans..Ok St.-one
LSU and Bama are the best two teams....
I'd much rather Bama play Ok.st than LSU...Bama or LSU would drub Ok.St.
Did you guys even watch Oklahoma lay down against Ok. St....I almost want
to believe they threw that game...OU rushed 3 players and played a soft zone
the whole game...and Stoops is defensive genius?

The two best teams in the country play in the same division within the same conference this year. Obviously they can't both be conference champions.

Unique circumstances call for unique results.

had alabama won out im not seeing too many scenarios where it wouldnt be bama vs. lsu anyway.im not sure what all the fuss is about..

No..they got it right...Ok St..screwed their shot...to a 25 point underdog.
Bama has 5 All-Americans..Ok St.-one
LSU and Bama are the best two teams....
I'd much rather Bama play Ok.st than LSU...Bama or LSU would drub Ok.St.
Did you guys even watch Oklahoma lay down against Ok. St....I almost want
to believe they threw that game...OU rushed 3 players and played a soft zone
the whole game...and Stoops is defensive genius?

who cares how many all-americans they have?

The fact is 'Bama had a chance at HOME to beat LSU and they failed.

The two best teams in the country play in the same division within the same conference this year. Obviously they can't both be conference champions.

Unique circumstances call for unique results.

w/o a Tournament you should have to win your conf title to play for the Nat'l title and how do we know 'Bama is the 2nd best team? b/c they beat Penn State? these teams don't play many non conf tough games so you go by what they do in confand they couldn't even make the title game of their conf. It's a joke that they are playing for a Nat'l Title when they couldn't beat LSU at HOME. The only way it would be acceptable would be if the other teams had more losses.

Again, I don't have anything against 'Bama. I like and respect the program but this is why CFB is such a joke.

If you don't know that Alabama and LSU are the two best teams in the country, then there's not a system they can come up with in order to help you figure it out.

This is as clear cut as it gets.

LSU has already blown out the Pac-10 Champion, the Big-East Champion, and the 5th best team in the SEC (South Carolina) completely dismantled the ACC Champion.

Conference Championships don't have a damn thing to do with who the two best teams in the country are.

LSU has proven it but how has 'Bama?

it's also not fair to LSU who beat 'Bama on the road to have to beat them again, this system is such a joke. It's embarrassing that this is the way they determine a Nat'l Champion. It's one thing if there was a playoff and these 2 teams played again but that's not the case.

LSU has proven it but how has 'Bama?

it's also not fair to LSU who beat 'Bama on the road to have to beat them again, this system is such a joke. It's embarrassing that this is the way they determine a Nat'l Champion. It's one thing if there was a playoff and these 2 teams played again but that's not the case.

dude, so who then? stanford? ok state? please.

the two best teams are in it. not their fault they already played each other and are in the same damn conference.

LSU would rape either stanford or ok state. we get to see a great football game now. oh no ... :lol:

Back
Top Bottom