Stephen Ross is the real problem | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Stephen Ross is the real problem

Snoop

Active Roster
Reaction score
We're still suffering from his many blunders... is there another owner in the league who's made as many mistakes?

Kept Sparano too long...

Flew across the country to woo a guy for his team's head coach position that wasn't even vacant, basically cutting Sparano's legs out from under him and dooming that season before it even started. Foolishly thought his act wouldn't be national news....

Hired a terrible coach in Philbin, kept him too long....

Kept Ireland way too long, let him keep his job after a fourth consecutive losing season, setting up the historically bad 2013 offseason where The Ginger wasted 5 picks in the first 3 rounds and $40+ million in cap space.....

Didn't even have the guts to fire Ireland completely, instead offering him a demotion that actually came with a raise lol... thankfully he said no and resigned.....

Followed that up by running a complete debacle of a GM search where he settled on the 5th option, an Asst GM that was on the verge of being fired in Tampa Bay but got the job here because he was the only candidate content with having no authority over Philbin...he only lasted 2 years.

Somehow let Mike ****ing Tannenbaum convince him to let him run a team again.

Obviously he's done some good but this resume is awful, it takes years to recover from all these terrible decisions. Time to point the finger at the man who's really to blame.

In my opinion we have bigger fish to fry than Ross. He puts his money where his mouth is and really stays out of the football decision making process. I think we have a good owner.

Problem is Personnel under him which he is responsible for it to a certain extent but second half of last year many people are getting ready to erect a statue of him at the stadium. I blame Tenenbaum and gase specifically for player acquisition and lack of preparation and Gameday adjustments.

I think the owner wants to win will do almost anything to get that and pretty much stays out of the way if that's positive or negative I don't know. Gase hasn't developed as I had hoped and I'm somewhat stymied on some of his decisions and lack of preparation be it coaching staff or players. Curious to see what happens the rest of the year.

Well I certainly agree with you. The decisions he made with coaches prior to Gase made no sense and they wasted entire seasons. The 2011 and 2015 seasons were DOA before a single down was played because Ross stupidly retained coaches who were obviously overmatched (and in Sparano's case, the team had quit on him at the end of 2010). And of course, in the case of Philbin, he's responsible for hiring him in the first place. But it doesn't make much sense to bring this up now since the issues on the current team have nothing to do with Ross.

Gase is a decent hire. He's not the Olympian god that he was portrayed as last year, but he's also not a clueless idiot as he's being portrayed this season. This year is just a lost cause. It has been since Tannehill went down. The team should have resigned themselves to their fate and gone with Moore, then improved the team as much as possible in order to make a run in 2018. But because tickets need to be sold, and fans need to be deluded into believing that things will be fine even when your starting QB is gone for the year, they waste money on Cutler who was going to get them to 8-8 at best.

There's nothing Ross can do right now that will salvage this season or dramatically improve next year's prospects. Maybe axing Tannenbaum, but that doesn't need to happen right now.

In my opinion we have bigger fish to fry than Ross. He puts his money where his mouth is and really stays out of the football decision making process. I think we have a good owner.

Problem is Personnel under him which he is responsible for it to a certain extent but second half of last year many people are getting ready to erect a statue of him at the stadium. I blame Tenenbaum and gase specifically for player acquisition and lack of preparation and Gameday adjustments.

I think the owner wants to win will do almost anything to get that and pretty much stays out of the way if that's positive or negative I don't know. Gase hasn't developed as I had hoped and I'm somewhat stymied on some of his decisions and lack of preparation be it coaching staff or players. Curious to see what happens the rest of the year.

To a certain extent? Wrong, he is 100% responsible. The problem has always been personnel, since the day he took over the team. Even if by some miracle Tannenbaum was fired, does anyone really have any faith in Ross to find the right candidate to replace him?

I haven't been happy with many of Ross' decisions. Your points on his mistakes in hiring are valid, but I'm going to give Ross a pass because it takes some time to master the learning curve on the personnel side of NFL ownership. As far as the fan experience, Ross gets an A+ in my opinion. You can tell he cares about winning and he cares about the fan experience.

As far as Gase goes, I believe a lot of fans have judged him too harshly and too early. The man was a god when the team ran off a string of wins to go 10-6 last year. I don't think he all of a sudden forgot how to coach. The team has had a number of significant injuries and challenges to overcome early in the season. I believe Gase will right the ship.

However, I do have a problem with T-Baum & Grier. There were obvious holes on this team heading into the season, and somehow these guys managed to use up all of the cap space without addressing those problems. For example, even if Ted Larsen panned out, was he a noticeable upgrade over Tunsil in that spot? Given that our O-Line was the strength of last year's team, wouldn't it have been better to keep Albert for another year and find an upgrade for Bushrod? Quddus, one of our primary playmakers last year, goes down with a retirement level injury and we count on replacing him with an oft-injured, lower performing Nate Allen. These kinds of moves must be scrutinized and called out.

Ross is a good owner. Stays out of football decisions for the most part and opens up his checkbook.

What more do you want.

He wants the owner of the team to have innate knowledge of who is going to draft well and add veteran talent to the team. If he doesn't he is an effing failure. Seems like a legit stance to take.

We can do worst.
He doesn't have eyes for football hiring, but he keep trying. Eventually, he will hit a home run.

Deciding who to hire as the coach is not "staying out of football decisions." It's one of the most vital football decisions that can be made. That's one reason Wayne was such a crap owner. He bungled that decision almost every time he was forced to make it.

Ross extended Sparano after 2010, and sure enough, the 2011 season was a disaster after the team imploded. Then he hires Philbin, and doubles down on his mistake by bringing him back after 2014. Once again, another season is wasted because Ross made the wrong decision going into 2015.

Gase may be a flash in the pan or he may be the right man for the job. Either way, Ross made the decision and he's responsible for the outcome. No doubt he'll be praised if Gase excels. But he should also be held accountable if Gase ends up being yet another in a long line of bad decisions regarding the head coach of the franchise.

Ross is a good owner, now. He was kind of a fool early on, for reasons stated, but he has turned it around- all that he simply wants is to rebuild the Dolphins culture and bring us a winning team. He just had no idea what he was doing at first. Now, we have finally settled on a coach with a clue, and albiet a kind of bad GM, things are getting better overall. Like someone else said- he opens his pockets and stays out of football decisions.

Back
Top Bottom