Still Playing "Not to Lose" | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Still Playing "Not to Lose"

NYC#1finsfan

Active Roster
Reaction score
For the entire Sparano tenure I feel that when I watch these Dolphins play it is like they are always playing not to lose rather than to win. I don't know if it is strictly poor execution, lack of talent, poor coaching or whatever but this team just doesn't know how to embrace success and to just place their foot on an opponents neck. I feel that any other team yesterday would have been up by 3 touchdowns or more on the Browns in the first half but for whatever reason the Dolphins play down to the level of the opponents play yet can't elevate it enough to the level of the better teams out there. This has been an ongoing problem for as long as I can remember............:(

I think it is as simple as he just doesn't know how to coach!

I dont think we are playing like that..I think the coaches are flip flopping and 2nd guessing themselves in games...You watched how we were content to play for a fg on our 2nd to last drive. Then you watched us throw 4 straight times with one time out...Why? We only need ten yards..Thats the coaches biggest problem...they dont believe so the players dont.

Playing not to lose ( or playing not to lose by too much) only guarantees more losses than wins. Three plus years of Dick Jauron taught us Bills fans that. Better to take it on the chops losing 38-3 to the Pats while trying to win than losing 6-3 to the Brownies in the most boring NFL football game played in the last half century while trying not to lose by too much. Trust me. A loss is a loss.

Playing not to lose ( or playing not to lose by too much) only guarantees more losses than wins. Three plus years of Dick Jauron taught us Bills fans that. Better to take it on the chops losing 38-3 to the Pats while trying to win than losing 6-3 to the Brownies in the most boring NFL football game played in the last half century while trying not to lose by too much. Trust me. A loss is a loss.
i remember that game. what an ugly freaking game. they should wipe that game away from the nfl books, it was that bad.

Oh great, bills fans are back

Sparano looks defeated even in interviews. Every presser he has, exudes self doubt and a lack of confidence.

He represents that "loser" mentality that surrounds this franchise. He hardly instills confidence and that "killer" attitude players need at this level.

Its not the players not being able to execute. Its the coach. We have played not to lose all 4 years Sparano has been here. Players have come and gone but the coach remains. Thats your answer. The common denominator Sparano.
For the entire Sparano tenure I feel that when I watch these Dolphins play it is like they are always playing not to lose rather than to win. I don't know if it is strictly poor execution, lack of talent, poor coaching or whatever but this team just doesn't know how to embrace success and to just place their foot on an opponents neck. I feel that any other team yesterday would have been up by 3 touchdowns or more on the Browns in the first half but for whatever reason the Dolphins play down to the level of the opponents play yet can't elevate it enough to the level of the better teams out there. This has been an ongoing problem for as long as I can remember............:(

He's Dave Wannstedt II. "Keep it close and win it in the 4th quarter." Loser's mentality.

I would have fired TS, Ireland Sunday. Team is dead under his lack of leadership & GM wise we have a lack of talent at crucial positions. Let's use the Carl Petersen scenario. Assuming TS is dictating a play not to lose mentality (which is not hard to believe) & Daboll wants more than FG's, this is what I would do. Give Daboll the interim HC job. I know Nolan is the popular choice, but he is a known. This is a unique situation to give some young, supposedly creative guy a shot. There is nothing to lose. Just say Peterson is brought in he will ultimately choose the next HC. Tell Daboll to "go for it", make his mark. Then see what you see. Obviously if nothing is there a different HC can be pursued.

Sparano looks defeated even in interviews. Every presser he has, exudes self doubt and a lack of confidence.

He represents that "loser" mentality that surrounds this franchise. He hardly instills confidence and that "killer" attitude players need at this level.

He's got Wannstedt Syndrome now...

That 3rd and 15 run in the Texans game in the 1st Quarter (?) was a classic play not to lose....

I would have to hope after they lose to the Chargers that he gets canned during the bye week. And the only real option is to bring in Nolan. DaBoll is barely qualified to be an OC let alone HC unless of course the game plan is to suck for Luck. For everyone including myself that wanted Nolan to stay no matter what - after seeing this defense play so bad who cares if he stays or goes as long as we get a real head coach. Let's make it simple - the head coach job should have 1 clear top choice and that is Cowher. Can he work with Peterson - who knows and that will probably dictate whether they get him or even pursue him or not. But you have to go after the chin and start now!! Marino sees him all the time - no better resource to start recruiting.

Back
Top Bottom