Street and Smith's on Dolphins | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Street and Smith's on Dolphins

Nublar7

Retired FinHeaven Staff
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Well, I got my first NFL Preview Magazine today. I picked up the lesser of the books, Street & Smith's who get a lot of their facts wrong, but still fun to read. Still waiting for Lindy's book, which is by far the best preview book. Well anyways, back to Street & Smith's. Here is the jist of what they have to say about Miami:

Projected Finish: 2nd AFC East(Miss Playoffs)

Offensive Line: B-

Says Jeno James upgrades the inside of our line and makes the inside bigger. They don't seem very keen on the Right side. Project Vernon Carey as RG and John St. Clair at RT with McInotsh possibly taking over at RT later in the season.

Quaterbacks: C+

Quote from Book: "This should be interesting. Not necessarily good, but interesting." They don't seem sold on Feeley.

Running Backs: A-

Thinks Ricky is still good but showed signs of his New Orleans form last year. They are very high on Rob Konrad and like Minor as a changeup back.

Recievers: B-

Says that Chambers will be the best WR in the East this season. Boston is a big threat but comes with behavior problems. McMichael is good but needs to improve concentration.

Defensive Line: A-

Mentions that the Fins were the only team not to give up a 100 yard rusher. The love the front 4 and say we have great off the benchers in Zgonina and David Bowens.

Linbackers: B+

Zach Thomas is the sole of the Linebackers and is an overachiever. Seau has more gas in the tank the people give him. Greenwood does a nice job and the only problem with this group is speed in coverage.

Secondary: B

Says Madison is slowing down and questions Freeman. Gives us credit for great depth in Howard and Poole.

Special Teams: B

Sammy Morris will help and Mare is better then some people think.

Management: B-

Says Speilman and Wanny may be genious in their bold moves this offseason, but if it doesn't pay off, heads will roll.

Botom Line(Word for word):

Conventional wisdom says you can't fire the team, so fire the coach. But after another failure to reach the playoffs, the club instead extended Wannstedt's deal by two years and ditched most of the offensive line. The Dolphins can't live off their defense forever and simply must develop a big-time passing game. Nothing says Feeley can do that.
Miami needs to finish a season the way it starts and can't keep coming up small in big games. That's as much a reflection on the players as it is on Wannstedt.

Miami needs to finish a season the way it starts and can't keep coming up small in big games. That's as much a reflection on the players as it is on Wannstedt.
:yes:

sounds like a straight forward, unimaginative read. Since we didn't make the playoffs the last two years, Street and Smith's doesn't go out on a limb this year.

They shouldn't go out on a limb. This team tees it up every year with a PR campaign and DW's proclamation that "we are a better team this year". And every year it is the same thing. Street & Smiths, many media folk, and a lot of us see that this team has a core issue that does not go away and has yet to be solved. On paper we shoudl be good, but the one or two key players we aquired in big areas of need, are big gambles. If they work then great we have a shot. If not it will be just the latest in a long line of disappointing Dolphin seasons.

In a year when we needed sure fire results, it is a very risky and dangerous position that Wanspeil have put themselves in.

Genuis or goat

Only time will tell.

I thought we did finish the year like we started....

We started by dumping a t@rd against Houston.... and the last part of the season smelled of poo flavored roses!

We're more even keel now that we start like we finish. I LOVE consistency!

And, btw, I wouldn't go out on a limb either. It's not like we've really done anything since Dan left. MEDIOCRITY RULES! GO PHINZ!

I was just wondering, according to the grades given to us, and assuming the grades mean a damn thing, how does a team with a B/B- average not go to the playoffs. It doesn't add up. Not that what they think means anything to me either.

I still think that our oline is going to be better than most think. (Hey you all have your opinions, I have mine)

IF our oline is better, mark my words we will be in the playoffs. My reasoning is with more time to pass we will be a better passing team. With a better line, the holes for ricky to run through will be bigger and thus our o as a whole will be much improved.

Time will tell, but at this point (before any preseason or anything with pads) I am still optimistic. At least until I see playing that would make me change my mind.

By all accounts we should have. Our record is usually good enough for the playoffs, that's how it works sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom