'Strength of draft, O'line & D'line'. What if we hit with first 3 picks? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

'Strength of draft, O'line & D'line'. What if we hit with first 3 picks?

normaniii

Active Roster
Reaction score
With no real needs we could really hit the strength of the draft and go BPA. Even with all the FA signings Ireland and Philbin want to build through draft.

We want a more mobile O'line and Incognito, Jerry & Lance Louis are all FA next year. Same is to be said for both starting DT Starks & Soliai. Odrick is a DT playing out of position and Cam Wake is 31 this year.

As stated the strength of the draft is in both lines. IMO we could go O'line, DE & DT with first 3 picks and solidify the line for years to come.

Just look at the players who would be realistically available.

DE
Bjoern Werner
Ezekiel Ansah
Barkevious Mingo
OG
Jonathan Cooper
DT
Star Lotulelei
Sheldon Richardson

2nd round
DE
Alex Okafor
Sam Montgomery
Tank Carradine
Margus Hunt
DT
Jesse Williams
Kawan Short
Sylvester Williams
Jonathan Jenkins
OG
Justin Pugh
OT
Terron Armstead
Kyle Long
Menelik Watson

Thats a lot of talent, not even considering that Chance Warmack or Lane Johnson may drop to #12. I know many want Austin & Eifert but for the sake of this thread, which 3, with one of each would you got with?

I would go:-

1-OG - Jonathan Cooper - Could start day 1 and fits ZBS perfectly - O'line is porbably biggest weakness this year and next.
2a - DT - Jesse Williams - Could replace Soliai and fit perfectly inside with Odrick
2b - DE - Alex Okafor - Combined with Wake & Vernon, he would provide and excellent 3 man rotation.

Dude, you just made a thread about this yesterday! It's right there in the forum: "Simple & Smart". Cmon now, this OP easily fits in there.

Carradine is in the wrong grouping.

But there is a lot of talent on the D-line in this draft.

Cornelius Washington belongs in that second grouping of DE's, imo.

We have barely hit on 3 draft picks in total since Ireland's been here. Why in the world would you have any confidence at all he could hit on 3 players in one single draft.

It makes sense, but I'd add corner as a draft strength as well. Miami needs to take a corner in the 1st or 2nd round IMO. You also need to look at all the players with one-year contracts, which you alluded to as well. The list is long:

Bess WR
Clemons S
Starks DT
Solai DT
Incognito G
Keller TE
Grimes CB

I'm sure I'm forgetting some players, but it is interesting that two of the guys are players the Dolphins really depend upon in the middle of the defense (Starks and Solai). I do believe Miami will take a DT sooner than fans might expect. Star if he drops to #12? I think that's possible.

I like Star. I think it all depends on who drops in draft. Someone is going to take Geno Smith and the sooner draft day comes and Gruden starts running his camp, buzz will be around QB's, so i think there may be two QBs taken before we pick. That may leave one of the OT dropping or even Warmack.

I went skill position

1 Tyler Eifert
2a Robert Woods
2b Jordan Poyer

Okafor won't fall to 2b.. He might not even be there with our 2a.

But I would take him in a heartbeat if he was there with our 1st 2nd round pick.

Imo, Carradine and Okafor would be the 2 BPA with our first 2 picks. You don't need to take a 1st round corner when you have an incredible pass rush. Marshall and Grimes would be just fine.

I think Okafor is the most polished pass rusher and has great size and can use the bull rush. Dont ever understand why he is not a first round lock, but maybe he is and we just dont know it following mocks that sometimes deserve to be mocked.

The more I look at it the more realistic I think Cooper is at 12. I like it, itll mean a nasty interior line. Have fun with that Willfork.

I think you are overlooking the lack of depth at CB and TE. Both should be addressed 2nd rd. We can still get some good DL in rd 3 and 4 without a big drop off but good upside. This is assuming we stay put those rounds - not holding my breath on that.

The more I look at it the more realistic I think Cooper is at 12. I like it, itll mean a nasty interior line. Have fun with that Willfork.

I think you are overlooking the lack of depth at CB and TE. Both should be addressed 2nd rd. We can still get some good DL in rd 3 and 4 without a big drop off but good upside. This is assuming we stay put those rounds - not holding my breath on that.
In the AFC East having good guards is important. All you have to do is look at the quality DT's in the division. It's not exciting, but it would make sense.

Assuming we stay at 12 and dont trade then I think first 3 picks will be

1 CB Rhodes
2A OT M. Watson
2B S Cyprien

In the AFC East having good guards is important. All you have to do is look at the quality DT's in the division. It's not exciting, but it would make sense.

I agree. The more I look at draft I think Cooper is the pick. Ireland normally drafts first pick for need, with the intention to start day 1 (barring RT who ironically ended up starter anyway). Unless one of the OT, Milliner or Warmack drop, I cant see anyone else that fits scheme and will most likely start day 1, besides Cooper, who does seem ideal for ZBS.

Back
Top Bottom