Structure of Zach's contract... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Structure of Zach's contract...

Originally posted by grooves12

Clumpy... Whats your take?

Strange. I thought you were telling us that the salary cap chart on this web site was wrong because it included Zach Thomas' option bonus in team salary.

Now you are wondering what's Clump's opinion ???

I hope you didn't take offense to our discussion... It just didn't seem right to me.

Plus, I just remember seeing him say in another thread that he saw something that said option bonuses would not be included until they were excercised, and never saw a resolution on that.

No, I haven't taken offense to our discussion and rereading your first post you did reference my Salary Cap Chart not the one on this web site.

http://www.thefinforum.com/SiteContent/Columnists/capcorner.asp

If you reread the other threads, Clump at first agreed with me then changed his mind on Fiedler's $2 million option due 4/15/04. Thomas' and Tim Bowens' options have stayed in team salary. I asked him why and he did not answer. There was later a reference in a different thread that Fiedler's option is for future years. My understanding is what is stated in the side letter. An option that extends a contract's term. What has been reported in the media about Fiedler's option is: the the option is to pick up the 2006 year of the contract. In other words if the option is renounced or not paid, Fiedler's contract only runs through the year 2005. A reduction in the term of the contract. If there is a renouncement of the $2 million payment, it drops off team salary as there is no new bouns to amortize, the signing bonus that has been amortized through the year 2006 also has to be accelerated per signing bonus rules.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, that seems a little contradictory to the way the salary cap normally works also.

In Fiedler's case if his current contract only runs through 2005... wouldn't the original signing bonus only be pro-rated over THOSE years. Why would it also be pro-rated over 2006 if that portion of his contract has not been excercised yet??

I understand it has been pre-negotiated... but the way I see it is with these option bonuses that extend the length of the contract, that whey would essentially be treated exactly as a normal contract extension would... the only difference being that they are pre-negotiated. So, perhaps the amount that you have calculated for the amortization of the original bonus is slightly off (could be the case in Zach's or TimBo's contract also, but we don't have as many details about the option in their cases.)

I understand it works this way when there are incentive clauses that allow a contract to be voided... but in this case that is not what is happening. It is essentially a 4-year contract on its face, but can be CHANGED to a 5-year contract at a later date. So, I would think the bonus amortization on the original bonus would be spread over 4 years and not 5...

Originally posted by grooves12

I understand it works this way when there are incentive clauses that allow a contract to be voided... but in this case that is not what is happening. It is essentially a 4-year contract on its face, but can be CHANGED to a 5-year contract at a later date. So, I would think the bonus amortization on the original bonus would be spread over 4 years and not 5...

You have to read the signing bonus rules and see that if the player does not have control over the option year or years in question are to be prorated.

The CBA states

(2) Any contract year in which the player has the right to terminate based upon events within his sole control shall not be counted as a contract year for purposes of proration. In the event the NFL and the NFLPA cannot agree upon whether an option is within the player’s sole control, such issue shall be resolved by the Impartial Arbitrator.

This section is also written in the negative. If you don't want to accept this rule either I can't help you.

Where are you getting all this information from the CBA?? I would like to read through it myself.

Page 103

5 (iv)

(3) Any consideration, when paid, or guaranteed, for option years, contract extensions, contract modifications, or individually negotiated rights of first refusal

When/If Miami pays Fiedler's option for 2006, it counts, not before and it's prorated.

(5) The unamortized portion of any signing bonus contained in an NFL Player Contract that is renegotiated to reduce the number of years of such Player Contract shall be included, to the extent attributable to such reduced year or years, in Team Salary at the time of the renegotiation.

This, I believe, states that the amortized bonus from the 2006 season will be equally split between 2004 & 2005, as long as Fielder is on Miami's roster in 2004

My numbers for Fielder:

salary: $3.7 million
amortization: $1.24 million
cap hit: $4.94 million

still have $2 million option for 2006.

If paid:

previous amortization: $1.24 million
new amortization: $666,666
cap hit: $5,606,000 (increase by the amortization amount)

Not paid and remains with team in 2004(without restructure)

portion of 2006 amortization: $620,000
cap hit: $5.56 million

If plain out released: "dead cap" of $3.72 million ($1.24 million x 3 yrs). Original cap hit of $4.94 million. $4.94-$3.72=$1.22 million savings in 2004.

For argument sake: If $2 million option counted in full NOW

Option bonus: $2 million
Cap hit: $6.94 million

If then paid per above:

If paid:

new amortization: $666,666
cap hit: $5,606,666 (increase by the amortization amount)

represents a savings of $1.333 million.

However, it's really a moot argument. If it counts, you add $2 million to the cap now but save $1.333 million when exercised OR add $666,666 to the cap if it doesn't count and exercised........either way.......YOU END UP EXACTLY THE SAME

My take on Zach Thomas:

Salary: $2.845 million
Prior amortization from $5 million signing bonus paid as part of contract extension in 2003: $1 million
Roster bonus of $4.5 million
Cap hit: $8.345 million

For purposes of the Salary Cap and Entering Player Pool, any roster or reporting bonus which is earned or paid before the start of the Club’s pre-season training camp shall be treated as a signing bonus.

*Side Letter 6/23/93: Sec. 6

This, I believe, states that the bonus is amortizable at $900,000/season. Thus, I will be changing my cap page to reflect this because I'm relatively positive that Miami will be paying it.

Original amortization: $1 million
New amortization: $900,000
Cap Hit: $4.745 million

Thus, by paying the $4.5 million roster bonus, Miami saves $3.6 million on the cap. If they don't pay the roster bonus, Zach is UFA

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet

5 (iv)

(3) Any consideration, when paid, or guaranteed, for option years, contract extensions, contract modifications, or individually negotiated rights of first refusal

When/If Miami pays Fiedler's option for 2006, it counts, not before and it's prorated.

I agree when the option is paid it is a signing bonus. Until then its an option and should be accounted for as such. As you already know I think the side letter I have previously posted addresses options of the kind we are discussing.

Quote:
(5) The unamortized portion of any signing bonus contained in an NFL Player Contract that is renegotiated to reduce the number of years of such Player Contract shall be included, to the extent attributable to such reduced year or years, in Team Salary at the time of the renegotiation.

This, I believe, states that the amortized bonus from the 2006 season will be equally split between 2004 & 2005, as long as Fielder is on Miami's roster in 2004

I looked at that and believe it does not apply as the option should not be considered a renegotiation. Instead in the same section :
the CBA states
(4) Any contract year that the player has the right to terminate based upon a contingency shall count as a contract year for purposes of proration until the contingency is fulfilled, at which time any amounts attributed to such year shall be accelerated and included immediately in Team Salary. To the extent that such acceleration puts the Team over its Salary Cap, the difference shall be deducted from its Salary Cap for the following year.

I was going to post what a renegotiation is per the CBA but felt it was a little too much for this post.

My take on Zach Thomas:

Prior amortization from $5 million signing bonus paid as part of contract extension in 2003: $1 million
Roster bonus of $4.5 million
Cap hit: $8.345 million

Your signing bonus number is off by $1 million but that's not the important part as your totals are correct.

It has been reported that Zach received a $10.5 million signing bonus paid $6 million in 2003 and an option bonus of $4.5 million due in the Spring of 2004. What information do you have that the $4.5 million is a roster bonus???

Now what about Tim Bowens??? It has been reported that he was due a $1.8 million option for years and recently reported that its to keep him under contract for the 2005 and 2006 years. Are you also considering this a roster bonus???

The other point that we have not mentioned is that other than Fiedler these options are probably payable on 3/03/04 or the start of the new year in part to resolve the negative cap consequences.

Clumpy, thanks for all the work you put in. Great work.

My question is I'm confused a little about Zach's contract. Miami prorated his bonus over 6 million/6 years and 4.5 million/5 years. And with his contract expiring in 2003 shouldn't his proration be 1.9/year? ZT's contract has the prorated bonus at 2,337,000 in 2004 & 2005. Did I miss an extension for that 437,000?
Assuming I missed a 437,000 extension. With 4 yrs left on contract at 2,337,000/yr, why isn't the 2005 dead money 9,348,000 instead of 9,785,000?

Eshlemon said:
Clumpy, thanks for all the work you put in. Great work.

My question is I'm confused a little about Zach's contract. Miami prorated his bonus over 6 million/6 years and 4.5 million/5 years. And with his contract expiring in 2003 shouldn't his proration be 1.9/year? ZT's contract has the prorated bonus at 2,337,000 in 2004 & 2005. Did I miss an extension for that 437,000?
Assuming I missed a 437,000 extension. With 4 yrs left on contract at 2,337,000/yr, why isn't the 2005 dead money 9,348,000 instead of 9,785,000?

Sorry, I haven't given ya an answer til now.

Zach Thomas restructured last off-season. He converted a $4.5 million roster bonus to signing bonus. However, Miami also converted some salary to bonus. His salary went from $2.845 million to $660,000. The additional $2.185 million/5 yrs= $437,000

You are correct about the dead cap....I'll include a correction with the updates I'm gonna send Muck soon

Clumpy said:
Sorry, I haven't given ya an answer til now.

Zach Thomas restructured last off-season. He converted a $4.5 million roster bonus to signing bonus. However, Miami also converted some salary to bonus. His salary went from $2.845 million to $660,000. The additional $2.185 million/5 yrs= $437,000

You are correct about the dead cap....I'll include a correction with the updates I'm gonna send Muck soon

Thanks for the response and no worries about any delay. The cap page has to keep you busy enough w/o us fans nitpicking over your work.

Back
Top Bottom