Surtain wants raise | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Surtain wants raise

iceblizzard69

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
http://www.finheaven.com/newsviewer/index.php?showdoc=1106

Surtain counts $7.88 million against the 2004 salary cap but he wants a raise. However, even though he is making a ton of money, he still doesn't think he makes enough and isn't paid among the elite corners in the league:

I also want to be compensated like I'm one of the best players at my position," Surtain said. "You look at what guys are getting this year, and it makes you think. But it's not like I'm making demands. I still have two years left, so if it gets done fine. If not....''

I can understand wanting to extend his contract, but he already is paid like he is one of the best corners in the league. He counts nearly 8 million dollars against the cap, he should stop complaining about his salary!

i didn't read that as surtain complaining about anything. an extension would help lower his cap number while assuring him that the team wants to keep him. he just wants a signing bonus, but he's said that he would honor his contract. i don't think it's a problem. besides, he has proven his worth.

He counts that much because of his signing bonus not so much his salary. You gotta go by what the unprorated signing bonus is I think.

We did sign him to an extension before he reached the All-Pro status that he currently is playing at, so yeah his contract was slightly below par for his talent level. But he's only got 2 years left on it, and unless the rumors of his degenerative knee condition are correct, I expect the front office to extend his contract probably sooner rather than later.

DPlus47 said:
i didn't read that as surtain complaining about anything. an extension would help lower his cap number while assuring him that the team wants to keep him. he just wants a signing bonus, but he's said that he would honor his contract. i don't think it's a problem. besides, he has proven his worth.

He said that he wants to get "compensated like he is one of the best at his position" which makes it seem like he doesn't think he is getting paid enough. I know he didn't threaten a holdout or anything, but what he said was pretty stupid. His cap charge is 7.88 million dollars, that sounds like he is getting paid like he is one of the top cornerbacks in the league to me.

Extend surtain, use the extra money to sign O-Gun to a new deal.

Two problems solved.

Next year we dump the contracts of Madison, Seau, and Knight. Then sign Chambers and Randy to new deals.

Is it really that easy?? :hmmm:

Actually, he counts that much because his base salary is nearly $6 million for this season. The signing bonus he received back when he signed his first extension was only around $8 million.

What he's looking for is a sizeable signing bonus. He isn't looking to make more than the $7.8 million his cap number is this year.

All of this will come in one swoop. Surtain will be extended. Knight will be extended. Ogunleye will be extended. Chambers will be extended. ALL of this will happen this summer.

This reeks of a guy trying to hit the jackpot before his creaky knee completely falls apart.

There is no way he gets a huge extension unless he completely passes all medicals without raising one doubt about the future of his knees.

In reading the article, I felt like he was a little sensitive about his compensation, but also was willing to extend to help the team. It might have something to do with all the DBs we are picking up. It is kind of funny that people wanted to rip Madisons head off for not wanting to extend or renegotiate and now Pat is selfish for being willing to do it.

just curious, who are some of the highest paid DB's and how much are they making?

The quote that iceblizzard69 put up struck me strange at first too considering he was the second highest paid CB last year behind Ty Law. Then I remembered the contract Roland "Champ" Bailey just signed in March.

The Washington Redskins star and four-time Pro Bowl performer will sign a seven-year, $63 million contract, the final piece of the puzzle in the trade that will send Bailey and a second-round draft choice to the Denver Broncos in exchange for Portis. The contact, the largest ever for a cornerback, includes an $18 million signing bonus and roster bonuses that total $5 million.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1749441

I am not saying that is what Surtain wants but probably what he was referring to.

Back
Top Bottom