T.J. Yates' Pro Day | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

T.J. Yates' Pro Day

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
Evidently for whatever reason he was asked to throw 112 passes at his Pro Day...and he completed 110 of them.

You guys know me, you know I like Yates a lot. I consider him a guy that could absolutely become a franchise starter in the NFL.

I've been doing a lot of work on QBs and part of it is comparative work, putting clips up of similar throws from different players, which sort of highlights in your mind the difference between the players.

I have to say, Yates' footwork is FREAK-ISH. I mean downright FREAK quality.

What I found when I did my studies of QB releases was that if you measure the release from the lead-foot up, and then from the throwing elbow up, you obviously get different time readings. One is the full motion and the other is just the arm motion only.

Across the board, I found that guys with weaker arms tended to have more discrepancy between foot-up and elbow-up release times. In other words, Ryan Mallett's motion from lead foot-up would be something like 49 milliseconds, but his motion from drop elbow-up would be 43 milliseconds. But Andy Dalton, who has a much weaker arm, would be lead foot-up at 56 milliseconds (forget the exact numbers), and arm-up would be 41 milliseconds. The disparity between those (6 milliseconds and 15 milliseconds, respectively), would roughly correlate with strong-armed guys and weak-armed guys.

This is intuitive! I measured intermediate pocket passes with pocket rhythm. Guys with naturally weaker arms need their feet more to get the torque to drive the football, and it would only follow that would increase the time from when they start up with their lead foot and then start up their arm motion.

The exception? T.J. Yates. I don't think people accuse this guy of having a big arm, although sometimes you have to wonder when you see him throw the ball 55 or 60 yards thru the air with perfect ball placement on a vertical while on the run. But Yates had the SMALLEST discrepancy between foot-up and arm-up motions....of any QB I measured. His feet just move that fast and his weight transferrance is that efficient. He can shuffle and reset his feet inside the pocket, and then throw the ball like boxer punch, quicker than any player in this draft.

And he's ACCURATE. He's accurate short, and he's accurate deep. The problem is, in his ultra-conservative offense, you didn't see him throw a bunch of those intermediate sized 25 to 35 yard throws (thru the air, as the crow flies). You have to put together reams of tape to isolate enough of those throws to get a good sense for his accuracy. Luckily, nobody's ever accused me of being lazy, when it comes to Draft stuff. I've found that on those throws he has what I consider requisite accuracy, which is about 80 percent hitting the WR's hands.

And did I mention, he probably has THE most accurate deep ball in the Draft? Even more accurate than Newton or Mallett. When he played basketball, he was a star 3-point shooter. It shows in his deep ball as he drops that ball right in the bucket with great placement, timing and arc. I don't know why Chad Reuter seems on a crusade against high-arc deep balls. From what I've heard, especially from Sean Smith, quarterbacks are more prone to high-arc on their deep balls in the NFL, and hitting the outside shoulder, than in college.

He's a little over-aggressive, as TedSlimmJr has come to say, "The REAL T.J. Yates" shows up every now and then. He's referring to how in 2009 and prior, Yates did throw some interceptions.

He's an excellent game manager. That's not a bad thing. That's a good thing. He manages the clock. He manages situations. I don't know if there's a quarterback in this Draft that I would take over him if I had less than 2 minutes remaining with no timeouts and I needed to drive 50 or 60 yards to either get a touchdown or field goal to prevent losing the game. That's saying a LOT.

His dedication to the details is PHENOMENAL. Many times I mentioned in my initial scouting reports the name "Peyton Manning"...and as I did background on him, I found that he grew up and still is a diehard Colts fan, and has attended Manning Camp three consecutive years. What was he in charge of teaching the kids at Manning Camp? What else? THE DEEP BALL.

But you're talking a four year starter that has been thru ALL the ups and downs, kept fighting, fought thru adversity, all the hate mail, etc...and got BETTER. A guy that is accurate short, accurate intermediate and REAL accurate deep, a guy that is naturally aggressive but was harnessed by a conservative offense, a guy with FREAK footwork, the quickest release in the Draft, a dedication to the smallest of details, extremely hard worker, a leader, great game, situation and time manager...and this guy is so under the radar it's sickening.

Yeah, I've put Ponder above him. That hasn't always been the case. I do think physically Christian's top line is just higher as he's got more athletic ability and experience throwing the intermediate ball more often. You don't know if Yates is going to be a risky thrower again when he has to throw more aggressively again. That's the danger.

But I see Yates as like another Trent Green, similar footwork, similar effective deep ball.

Do you know if we were at his pro day? I'm guesing we were to get a look at other guys like Johny White, Robert Quinn, and Greg Little but I wonder if we have any interest in him at all. As you said he's flying way to far under the radar. If we can't get Mallet I would be really happy with Yates.

I know pro days are generally denigrated as not meaning anything. Whereas I thought intiially Locker had a solid pro day, people coming away from it have now started talking some smack about how the level of difficulty was a 3 on a scale of 1 to 10 and how teams were upset with the limited amount of throwing and the throw selection. Casserly said he threw two deep balls and missed both.

Well, anyway...THIS pro day has the potential to help Yates tremendously. It sounds to me like they allowed TEAMS to get involved in requesting throws and that's why it went into so many throws. And the teams no doubt want to see things they didn't see nearly enough on film which are those 25 to 35 yard throws, the intermediate flat ball, rolling out and making a "wow" throw, that sort of thing. So if he threw 112 passes and completed 110 of them, those scouts were putting him thru his paces big time and he passed with flying colors.

It has potential to be a big day for him because on tape in his senior year there's just a lack of pure reps on some of those bigger throws. There's no lack of the BIG throws, the deep vertical, but the offense was all like 13 to 18 yard throws (thru the air), followed by a BIG one like 55 yards on the vertical. There's a hole in that selection, and it sounds like the scouts really might have put him thru his paces filling that hole and he passed big time.

Could go 4th round based on this Pro Day. Seriously.

I know pro days are generally denigrated as not meaning anything. Whereas I thought intiially Locker had a solid pro day, people coming away from it have now started talking some smack about how the level of difficulty was a 3 on a scale of 1 to 10 and how teams were upset with the limited amount of throwing and the throw selection. Casserly said he threw two deep balls and missed both.

Well, anyway...THIS pro day has the potential to help Yates tremendously. It sounds to me like they allowed TEAMS to get involved in requesting throws and that's why it went into so many throws. And the teams no doubt want to see things they didn't see nearly enough on film which are those 25 to 35 yard throws, the intermediate flat ball, rolling out and making a "wow" throw, that sort of thing. So if he threw 112 passes and completed 110 of them, those scouts were putting him thru his paces big time and he passed with flying colors.

It has potential to be a big day for him because on tape in his senior year there's just a lack of pure reps on some of those bigger throws. There's no lack of the BIG throws, the deep vertical, but the offense was all like 13 to 18 yard throws (thru the air), followed by a BIG one like 55 yards on the vertical. There's a hole in that selection, and it sounds like the scouts really might have put him thru his paces filling that hole and he passed big time.

Thanks for the info on Locker. All anyone says is how many passes were completed, while the level of difficulty gets shrouded much of the time.

Here's from a source at the Pro Day.

Source: UNC quarterback has strong pro day
1 hour ago by AdamCaplan

Former University of North Carolina QB T.J. Yates participated in his school’s pro day on Thursday.

Yates, according to a source with knowledge of his workout results, went 110 of 112 during his throwing session. Quarterbacks usually make 50-60 throws during a pro day.

Yates (6’3” 3/10, 229), who is projected to go off the board on the third day of the 2011 NFL Draft, threw the ball with very strong power and accuracy. While it’s rare for a quarterback to have accuracy problems during a pro day workout because he’s throwing to his passing targets that are uncovered, Yates’ performance was “as about as good as it gets” and he threw with a lot of confidence, according to the source.

Yates threw to a variety of passes to WR Greg Little, TEs Ryan Taylor and Zack Pianalto, RB Johnny White and others.

Yates, who had scheduled private workouts for the Chicago Bears, Kansas City Chiefs and Atlanta Falcons, is coming off a strong throwing session during February’s NFL Scouting Combine.

According to the football program’s official Twitter account, Little ran a 4.50 40-yard dash, White ran a 4.53 and DE Robert Quinn posted a very solid 4.57.

Yates and his teammates had to deal with the absence of some key players last season due to suspensions.

“I'd challenge anybody to go look somewhere else for some worse adversity in a team and a program because we had it from all angles as far as NCAA and academic stuff,” the quarterback said during the combine. “And on top of that, we had a ton of injuries. There were times we were stretching our depth charts in the middle of games to fifth-string running back. (Head) coach (Butch) Davis would look on the sideline the s asking if anyone could run down on kickoff. It got pretty hectic at some points. But I don't think any other team in the country went through what we did and we still salvaged a very good season out of it.”

CK - You made a great call last year with AJ Edds a guy you really liked and look where he went. I wonder if the same will happen to TJ Yates? I will be watching the 4th Round with anticipation.

Honestly I hope we've got a QB by then and I doubt we take two of them. But if we don't the Dolphins can dig part of their way out of my sh-t list by drafting Yates. :)

I'm up for Mallet or Ponder in Round 1. If this does not pan out then we must consider TJ Yates or a similar QB with a good skillset and an application to learn and get better.

Really what is pleasing to hear is that Yates has come through adversity and has good upside. From a personal point of view I love the fact that Yates has a great release and good footwork. The attributes we loved about Dan Marino.

Yates would definately fit that "competition" for Henne role. I agreed with Mayocks assessment of him. I don't have the man crush for him CK does, bit would be a good fit.

Do you know if we were at his pro day? I'm guesing we were to get a look at other guys like Johny White, Robert Quinn, and Greg Little but I wonder if we have any interest in him at all. As you said he's flying way to far under the radar. If we can't get Mallet I would be really happy with Yates.

We were at the pro day.

Here's Yates in action:
[video=youtube;I_B8HCfUqv4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_B8HCfUqv4[/video]

I've seen a lot of people like CBSsports rank Yates as the 6th QB prospect this year. I really wouldn't be mad if we took ingram or traded down and took 2 players then grabbed Yates up.

I like Yates. Maybe he could someday be a Sean Hill type of guy. But I am thinking backup. I agree he has tremendous footwork and a quick release. Two observations. His release looks really low. That is partly why he gets it out of there. His release is the anti-Kaepernick release partly because its so compact. Secondly, I am not seeing the arm strength. Can he stand back there and drive an out pattern at NE or Buf or NY in December? I don't see it. I do see a really good backup, and I'd be happy if Miami drafted two qbs with this kid the back end part of the bargain. But I am talking 5th or 6th, not 4th.

Back
Top Bottom