tmac28 said:
No it goes this way.

1. Miami
2. Oklahoma
3. USC
4. Texas
5. LSU

Dude thats My pic S madison

U no it looks better when travis daniels does it.;):)

How can you put Oklahoma above USC. I hate USC, but come on that's just insane

Philter25 said:
When you play in conferences that are less challenging, like the Big12, you should get more wins than the top teams playing in the ACC, SEC, or Big10 where its much harder to run the table.

well when Oklahoma came back as a national power we had the #1 #2 and #3 team In the same conference and we beat them all.

as of late (last 3 years) the Big 12 has stumbled so u are some what true

LtDan said:
this decade?? Link please. This is not the 90's

The year 2000 was this decade and Oklahoma was the unbeaten national champ, throttling FSU in the Orange Bowl after Miami got BCS screwed out of that slot opposing the Sooners for the title.

The correct order is USC, Oklahoma, then Miami. Those are the only schools to have multiple title games this decade. So the order is fairly obvious: USC first with 2 titles (one AP, of course) and one loss, Oklahoma second with 1 title and 2 championship game losses, and Miami third with 1 championship and 1 title game defeat.

Awsi Dooger said:
The year 2000 was this decade and Oklahoma was the unbeaten national champ, throttling FSU in the Orange Bowl after Miami got BCS screwed out of that slot opposing the Sooners for the title.

The correct order is USC, Oklahoma, then Miami. Those are the only schools to have multiple title games this decade. So the order is fairly obvious: USC first with 2 titles (one AP, of course) and one loss, Oklahoma second with 1 title and 2 championship game losses, and Miami third with 1 championship and 1 title game defeat.
I was really looking for a link to the overall records of all the teams

Awsi Dooger said:

The problem was OU didn't deserve to be in the title game against LSU after getting throttled by K-State plus thye got baten up in 2 of 3 title games while Miami destroyed Nebraska in 1 itle game and got screwed by a BS call in the other. I'd go USC, Miami, OU.

AirFishOne said:
werent they ranked #3 this year at some point? I didnt mean final rankings I mean during the course of the season

You have to take final rankings, teams like Miami will always be ranked high based on name but the real rankings are the end of season rankings.

nyjunc said:
The problem was OU didn't deserve to be in the title game against LSU after getting throttled by K-State plus thye got baten up in 2 of 3 title games while Miami destroyed Nebraska in 1 itle game and got screwed by a BS call in the other. I'd go USC, Miami, OU.

That's a very reasonable assessment. In fact, if the BCS formula had played out properly, two of the six years in this decade would have featured different title game matchups; Oklahoma vs. Miami in 2000 and USC vs. LSU in 2003. So that potentially changes this entire thread and college football history. Miami would have been maybe an 8 point favorite over Oklahoma in that 2000 Orange Bowl, and I doubt the Canes would have lost with a stacked roster that included almost every principle from the 2001 team plus the likes of Santana Moss, Reggie Wayne and Dan Morgan.

A little known masochistic fact about that year: Miami self-inflicted the title shot. The Canes were supposed to open at home against East Carolina, in fact the second game of a home-and-home after East Carolina stunned Miami with a big second half comeback in '99. But East Carolina asked out in spring 2000 since they scheduled one of those early season extra games and didn't want two tough games in a very short time span. Miami was in no obligation to let East Carolina out of the game, but did. Due to the very late date, Miami couldn't find a Division 1 replacement and had to settle for Division II McNeese St. That was a disastrous decision in two respects. First, obviously a game against a weakling did'nt exactly prepare the Canes for the next game on the slate, at Washington. Miami fell far behind in that game and the furious rally fell short.

Much more importantly, the BCS gave Miami no credit for beating McNeese St. According to people who knew the BCS formula, even a 1-point win over East Carolina would have been enough to vault Miami into second place in the BCS standings, and into the title game essentially hosting Oklahoma. So my Canes have very little to cry about. Whenever someone whines about the Glenn Sharpe interference call in '02 I remember the 2000 season and the title that was forfeited via Hecht Athletic Center idiocy, not a tardy referee.

AirFishOne said:
omg so i guess by everyones ideads, Oklahoma realistcly deserves no National titles :shakeno:

Hardly. The 2000 title was well-earned, completely frustrating a talented FSU team that was a double digit favorite and the defending national champion. As a Canes fan I just wish Miami had the opposite slot against Oklahoma in that 2000 Orange Bowl.

BTW, in the '80s I got thrown in the pool as a student for defending Oklahoma's claim to a national title. I'm a USC alumnus and USC claims '74 as a title year. That's bogus as hell. Oklahoma was a dominant team from '71 thru '75, going 54-3-1 with the wishbone with 3 straight second place finishes followed by 2 national titles. But in '74 the Sooners were on probation and in the middle of the season the stuffy UPI coaches poll arbitrarily decided to exclude teams on probation from its poll. That was a disgrace, changing the rules in the middle of the game just to target a specific team. Oklahoma literally went from consensus if not unanimous #1 in both polls one week, to not even included in the UPI poll the next week.

Anyway, when I was at USC I wrote a column in the Daily Trojan detailing that heist and proclaiming the '74 title claim of USC as completely undeserved, since the Trojans had both a loss and a tie while Oklahoma was 11-0. It got me dunked in the pool when some football players attended a party and apparently disagreed with my assessment, but I would write the same thing again.

I'd go

USC
Miami
Texas
LSU
Oklahoma

Texas gets a prop up for beating the team ranked number 1 on that list in a Nat. championship

Awsi Dooger said:
Hardly. The 2000 title was well-earned, completely frustrating a talented FSU team that was a double digit favorite and the defending national champion. As a Canes fan I just wish Miami had the opposite slot against Oklahoma in that 2000 Orange Bowl.

BTW, in the '80s I got thrown in the pool as a student for defending Oklahoma's claim to a national title. I'm a USC alumnus and USC claims '74 as a title year. That's bogus as hell. Oklahoma was a dominant team from '71 thru '75, going 54-3-1 with the wishbone with 3 straight second place finishes followed by 2 national titles. But in '74 the Sooners were on probation and in the middle of the season the stuffy UPI coaches poll arbitrarily decided to exclude teams on probation from its poll. That was a disgrace, changing the rules in the middle of the game just to target a specific team. Oklahoma literally went from consensus if not unanimous #1 in both polls one week, to not even included in the UPI poll the next week.

Anyway, when I was at USC I wrote a column in the Daily Trojan detailing that heist and proclaiming the '74 title claim of USC as completely undeserved, since the Trojans had both a loss and a tie while Oklahoma was 11-0. It got me dunked in the pool when some football players attended a party and apparently disagreed with my assessment, but I would write the same thing again.

wow way before my time, I was wondering why the Trojans always say they had the 74 title, when I thought it was ours.

Srry my emotions got the best of me, I just hate it when people just hate on Oklahoma. just the same as a Bills fan makin fun of us ;)

Back
Top Bottom