The 2022 Running Back Debate | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The 2022 Running Back Debate

I think a lot of people will be upset when we don't draft a running back this year because of too many other needs on offense. But don't worry because Mike McDaniel has 3 recent former RBs in free agency this year in Jeff Wilson Jr, Raheem Mostert and Matt Breida. Those are his "types" at running back. As for the big backs, his starter last year came out of nowhere from the 6th round around where we landed Doaks.
I would definitely be interested in Jeff Wilson Jr. as a free agent. He shouldn't cost too much, and he would be a great fit with McDaniel's offense.

The reason RB's do well in Shanahan's offense is because the OL is always good.

You can go with 6th rounders and UDFA's when you block really well.

Miami needs to fix the OL.
Great point. I also think they put an emphasis on instincts. Overall, Miami's running backs seemed largely lacking in that regard.

I just want to let you know that right now we should have a chance at Breece Hall at 50th pick.
CBS has him as #71 overall, Sporting news as #53, and PFF as #73.
I am salivating:
Reminder: 6-1 220
2021: 253 carries, 1472 yards, 5.8 avg, 20 TD
2020: 279 carries, 1572 yards, 5.6 avg, 21 TD

I just want to let you know that right now we should have a chance at Breece Hall at 50th pick.
CBS has him as #71 overall, Sporting news as #53, and PFF as #73.
I am salivating:
Reminder: 6-1 220
2021: 253 carries, 1472 yards, 5.8 avg, 20 TD
2020: 279 carries, 1572 yards, 5.6 avg, 21 TD
How much tread is left on the tires though? I was all for Hall maybe even at 29 until I found out he has almost 800 carries in college

How much tread is left on the tires though? I was all for Hall maybe even at 29 until I found out he has almost 800 carries in college
Maybe youd like to draft someone who has 0 yards and touchdowns. Someone who cannot carry the ball for 17+ games in the NFL and produce.

Maybe youd like to draft someone who has 0 yards and touchdowns. Someone who cannot carry the ball for 17+ games in the NFL and produce.
Lol yeah that’s what I said. It’s pretty well documented what happens to RBs once they carry the ball enough, they all start breaking down and getting hurt. In Hall’s 3 years he’s averaged more carries per year than all but 3 players in the nfl got this year in 6 fewer games. Like I said I like Hall but hoping that he doesn’t break down in 2-3 years is hoping he’s a big durability outlier

If you understood my post you would see I’m calling for a guy like dameon pierce or James cook who split the load in the backfield and kept their legs fresh

Lol yeah that’s what I said. It’s pretty well documented what happens to RBs once they carry the ball enough, they all start breaking down and getting hurt. In Hall’s 3 years he’s averaged more carries per year than all but 3 players in the nfl got this year in 6 fewer games. Like I said I like Hall but hoping that he doesn’t break down in 2-3 years is hoping he’s a big durability outlier

If you understood my post you would see I’m calling for a guy like dameon pierce or James cook who split the load in the backfield and kept their legs fresh

Tread on tires is a marketing ploy for running backs who could not do it in college.

So I decided to look it up. In the 2021 draft, the top 3 guys ranked by college carries were

Etienne-798
Harris-717
Williams-416

This year supports my idea that you want a guy with fewer college carries, the guy with the most got hurt and the guy with the fewest had the best ypc by a lot. 2020 is more of a mixed bag

Taylor-968 (!!!!) monster
Dobbins-816
Akers-655
Swift-513
Helaire-439

Small sample size but I don’t really want to go any farther back

Edit: realized these are total touches but the general point stands, hall is right at 800

The reason RB's do well in Shanahan's offense is because the OL is always good.

You can go with 6th rounders and UDFA's when you block really well.

Miami needs to fix the OL.
They also do well in this system because there is tremendous detail on ball handling manipulation and play action skills by the Qb imo

Back
Top Bottom