The Age of the Coach | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Age of the Coach

FinFan57

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Coaches have always been an important part of any NFL team. Look no further than our own beloved Dolphins, who enjoyed the stability and greatness of Don Shula, the greatest coach in NFL history. If not for Shula, many of us would not even be on this site now.

Because of free agency and salary cap concerns today though, coaches have become even more important. Good players change teams quickly and dynasties, like the Dolphins, Cowboys, Steelers (from the 70's), are no longer. Bill Bellichick and the New England Patriots have proven though that dynasties, even though more difficult today, are still possible through excellent coaching and smart drafting. We saw last year what Parcells did for the Cowboys that previous coaches could not do.

Yes players are important, but I would like to focus on Dolphin's coaching. I really am hopeful that we will improve in some areas. I think our defense will be basically the same (as far as coaching) and I believe Keith Armstrong, after an embarrassing year last year, demanded new players and got some great help with the addition of Morris, Bua, Pope, Akins, Eddie Moore and Ed Perry back from injury, and others to help Special Teams. This was the case of a decent coach who had no help last year.

Offense is where the biggest changes will occur and coaching will have the most impact. I am very optimistic that Sullivan, Foerster, and Trestman are a big upgrade over the one man show of Norv Turner. Wannstedt will have more support and input from these guys than he's ever had. Because of salary cap and free agency which causes player movement, you need great position coaches to teach and support these players, because of constant change and emphasis on young players. Gone are the days when the same guys would play together for years and be extremely familiar with their system and teammates. Now, you have to teach the basics and help players get ready every week. There is far more pressure and challenges put on coaches than ever before.

I think the best 2 moves this team made during the offseason was to keep Spielman, who has done a great job with personnel and bringing in great offensive positional coaches like Sullivan, Trestman, and Foerster to better prepare this team. I think it was a mistake to not get a great, experienced Offensive Coordinator to keep the big picture intact. Wannstedt is not capable of doing that and I think he is underestimating how important it is, just like he has neglected the offensive line, QB coach, kicking coach, and even the offense in general. He just can't seem to stop being a Defensive Coordinator and accept that a Head Coach has to demand balance.

Since I believe Coaching is a huge key to our success this year, how would you rate our coaching situation?

FinFan57 said:
Coaches have always been an important part of any NFL team. Look no further than our own beloved Dolphins, who enjoyed the stability and greatness of Don Shula, the greatest coach in NFL history. If not for Shula, many of us would not even be on this site now.

Because of free agency and salary cap concerns today though, coaches have become even more important. Good players change teams quickly and dynasties, like the Dolphins, Cowboys, Steelers (from the 70's), are no longer. Bill Bellichick and the New England Patriots have proven though that dynasties, even though more difficult today, are still possible through excellent coaching and smart drafting. We saw last year what Parcells did for the Cowboys that previous coaches could not do.

Yes players are important, but I would like to focus on Dolphin's coaching. I really am hopeful that we will improve in some areas. I think our defense will be basically the same (as far as coaching) and I believe Keith Armstrong, after an embarrassing year last year, demanded new players and got some great help with the addition of Morris, Bua, Pope, Akins, Eddie Moore and Ed Perry back from injury, and others to help Special Teams. This was the case of a decent coach who had no help last year.

Offense is where the biggest changes will occur and coaching will have the most impact. I am very optimistic that Sullivan, Foerster, and Trestman are a big upgrade over the one man show of Norv Turner. Wannstedt will have more support and input from these guys than he's ever had. Because of salary cap and free agency which causes player movement, you need great position coaches to teach and support these players, because of constant change and emphasis on young players. Gone are the days when the same guys would play together for years and be extremely familiar with their system and teammates. Now, you have to teach the basics and help players get ready every week. There is far more pressure and challenges put on coaches than ever before.

I think the best 2 moves this team made during the offseason was to keep Spielman, who has done a great job with personnel and bringing in great offensive positional coaches like Sullivan, Trestman, and Foerster to better prepare this team. I think it was a mistake to not get a great, experienced Offensive Coordinator to keep the big picture intact. Wannstedt is not capable of doing that and I think he is underestimating how important it is, just like he has neglected the offensive line, QB coach, kicking coach, and even the offense in general. He just can't seem to stop being a Defensive Coordinator and accept that a Head Coach has to demand balance.

Since I believe Coaching is a huge key to our success this year, how would you rate our coaching situation?
Wannstedt should have been gone after 2002, there was absolutely no excuse for him being here after 2003. He has placed the offense into the hands of a coordinator with no experience calling plays at any level.

FinFan57 said:

Well let's put it this way. If the Dolphins fired Wanny at the end of last like they should have. I doubt he would be working as a HC this year. Which tells you what the rest of the league thinks of him. Having said that, I don't think Wanny is as bad as some people here do. I just think missing the playoffs 2 years in a row should mean it is time for a change.

:confused: I agree with some of the thoughts here. I do think coaching is very important to the success of the team. In the last four seasons, the Fins have won 41 games while losing 23 (regular season) games. This amounts to a 64% winning percentage. In contrast, the Patriots have won 39 games, the Bills 25 games and the Jets 34 wins. Yet dispite these facts, many people want Wanny gone, even though he has won more games with less offensive talent than the other division teams. I can't think of one veteran coach with a winning record that is available. Yes, there are many promising coordinators out there, but unproven. As I have said in previous posts, losing Norv Turner may be the best change that could have occured. The Fins record with him as the OC speaks for itself. Wanny has done a very good job as an NFL head coach, better than most, but not as good as others. I believe that the new coaching staff members, the addition of Boston, and a solid defense will put us in front of the TV in late January, watching the Fins play for the AFC title :D

Ay yi yi.

Everything is not the next big revolution in the NFL. Coaching is like coaching was in the past, it's the same thing. Players are actually changing teams less rapidly then they did early in the salary cap era.

Look at Miami, for christsakes. We've had the same exact core of players we have had for years now.

Coaching is what it was before, I dont think anything has changed. A team has had success with good coaching, that doesnt quite mean that it's some sort of wave of the future.

the Fins have won 41 games while losing 23 (regular season) games. This amounts to a 64% winning percentage. In contrast, the Patriots have won 39 games, the Bills 25 games and the Jets 34 wins. Yet dispite these facts, many people want Wanny gone, even though he has won more games with less offensive talent than the other division teams.

This ignores playoff records, which is what its all about. What is Wannstadt's playoff record? And I'm not trying to bash him, I really don't know.

I can see both sides of the argument here as to whether Wannstadt should be fired. On the one hand, he's had a number of years to take them to the SB and hasn't done it. But on the other side, if a coach consistently wins 9 to 11 games every year, odds are he will eventually do some damage in the playoffs. Bill Cowher is in the same situation in Pittsburgh. Has he been HC too long?

FlyingElvis said:
This ignores playoff records, which is what its all about. What is Wannstadt's playoff record? And I'm not trying to bash him, I really don't know.

I can see both sides of the argument here as to whether Wannstadt should be fired. On the one hand, he's had a number of years to take them to the SB and hasn't done it. But on the other side, if a coach consistently wins 9 to 11 games every year, odds are he will eventually do some damage in the playoffs. Bill Cowher is in the same situation in Pittsburgh. Has he been HC too long?

With Wanny as head coach his overall postseason record is 2-3. 1-2 with dolphins and 1-1 with the bears. His only win in the postseason with the phins was his first year....his second year he made the playoffs but lost the first game....the last two seasons, no playoffs. The stats show that each year under him the dolphins get worse. Wanny is too conservative and very lucky to be around. Either way we're stuck with him this season. I say to even consider him being around next year the phins are gonna need at least one postseason win this year maybe two.

lets say we did fire wanny this offseason who out there that was available would be an improvement? from what i can remember the selection wasnt that great.

catapano said:
lets say we did fire wanny this offseason who out there that was available would be an improvement? from what i can remember the selection wasnt that great.
The 2 NE coordinators should get consideration. They are due to be hired. Both have had a lot of experience with winning systems (both Parcells with the Giants and now Belichick). Whether they are head coaching material or not is anyones guess. But they should be given a shot, simply because they know what it takes. Weis is probably the better fit. He would open up the offense.

Then there's Saban (another Belichick disciple) at LSU. He was offered an NFL job (Chicago?) this past off-season, but turned it down. Maybe the Miami job would appeal to him.

FlyingElvis said:
The 2 NE coordinators should get consideration. They are due to be hired. Both have had a lot of experience with winning systems (both Parcells with the Giants and now Belichick). Whether they are head coaching material or not is anyones guess. But they should be given a shot, simply because they know what it takes. Weis is probably the better fit. He would open up the offense.

Then there's Saban (another Belichick disciple) at LSU. He was offered an NFL job (Chicago?) this past off-season, but turned it down. Maybe the Miami job would appeal to him.
I would agree with a lot about what you said. However, it's been proven the transition from the college level to the pros is very difficult. I would also consider the OC from the colts as well.

they sound like interesting prospects but we cant be sure they would be an upgrade over wanny, im sure miami looked for a replacement during the offseason but nobody out there seemed to be a definate upgrade over wanny.

catapano said:
they sound like interesting prospects but we cant be sure they would be an upgrade over wanny, im sure miami looked for a replacement during the offseason but nobody out there seemed to be a definate upgrade over wanny.
All those r options, not to mention Jim Fassel. I reallly wanted Jim fassel, he would have been perfect. A prodominantly offensive coach who is known for his skills in working with QB's. I think him and trestmen coulda shaped Feeley into a solid starter, or for tht matter improved Jays game. His only fault was disciplinary reasons. I dont think th would of been a prob with this organazation tho considerin hwo respctful the Fins have beeen to there coach.

I dont think coaches have tht much of an effect on winning.....tht is untill the postseason. I think thts wen game plans come into effect, and teams can be out coached(not always tho).

FinFan57 said:
I agree that Wannstedt should have been fired but here's something I can't understand with Dolfans. Look at Shula's last 10 seasons.....only 4 playoff appearances, a losing record, only 6 winning seasons, and a last place division finish. Pile the mediocre job that Jimmy Johnson did in 4 seasons and tell me what has Wanny done, as some people say, to "ruin this franchise"? This franchise has been in the same boat for almost 20 seasons. That is, just good enough to get in or contend for the playoffs.

Sorry I went off on a tangent but when I hear what a great job Shula did and how terrible the Dolphins are now......I look at post 1985 and it's simply not true.

I agree completely with your point that coaching is the trend right now. Look no further than last season's Super Bowl and you don't see two teams loaded with stars.

You make some great points KYfinfan, but consider this. The only consideration for a coach should be, "Did he get the most out of what he had to work with?" In both Shula and Johnson's case, I would say yes. I think they just couldn't put the talent together. Especially, in Shula's case. Shula was his own worst enemy. He always won no matter what he had. He could never get enough decent draft picks to surround Marino with the talent he needed. Of course, in my opinion, Shula was a much better Head Coach than he was a General Manager. His draft picks were, for the most part, terrible.

I really don't think Wanny, with the exception of his first year with us, has gotten the most out of his players. The last 2 years have been big disappointments. I wasn't disappointed necessarily with Shula or Johnson, because they didn't have much talent to work with.

The top teams today have great coaches. To win big in this league now you must have a great coaching staff.

Back
Top Bottom