The conundrum that is the Miami Dolphins' draft process | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The conundrum that is the Miami Dolphins' draft process

SCLSU Mud Dogs

Foosball is the devil
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
I have seen everything over the past week. I've heard people praising the draft, while others show their disdain with threatening posts like they will stop buying tickets or they are going to cancel their NFL Sunday Ticket because our FO has no clue. Before I go on, I assure you, our FO does have a clue (but that doesn't always lead a team to the promise land)

As in almost every argument, there is a grey area. There are two sides to every story, and this case is no different. From one side, you see this draft, and you see a smart approach. On the other hand, you look at our draft and you scratch your head and ask yourself "What are these guys thinking?" This draft showed that we did a suitable job at addressing most of our needs, while not taking big risks. In other words, we got what we needed. Nothing more, nothing less. Sometimes, that approach is alright. Sometimes, that is exactly what a team needs. Teams that have been plagued by bad drafts look at that approach with open arms and greet it with warm fortitude. However, this team has drafted like that before. We have gone the smart route by drafting Jake Long over Matt Ryan. We have had more drafts where we drafted for a need, and even drafted multiple players at a position of need. Those drafts in the past have yielded some favorable results, and it has helped this team see the light from the cellar.

There is an adage that states "You have to risk it to get the biscuit." While we have seen some talent brought in, we haven't really risked anything in order to better this team. The FO hasn't taken a guy based on a gut feeling or based on him having the ability to do great things, they have focused on stats, measurables, and specific criteria. Basically, they have used inside the box thinking to add talent to this team. While we have spent money on guys like Dandby and put some risk into Brandon Marshall, that is as far as our risk has gone.

It's kind of like the phrase "it isn't what you say, it is how you say it." This FO has shown that they can smartly pick players that can contribute, but they haven't really shown us that they have the ability to truly risk their future on the future of a risky, but necessary pick; that risky, necessary pick being a franchise quarterback.

We have seen them invest time into Chad Henne, and even put some weapons around him. Who knows what the future will be with a new offensive scheme. The likely truth is that we have seen enough from Chad Henne to know that he just doesn't have the edginess, the bite, and the bark to be relied on to be our franchise quarterback. I am confident to say that we will definitely score some more points next year with a new offense, but unless Chad Henne leaves us with no doubt that he can indeed play quarterback at a high level, we really need to take the initiative to truly invest into a quarterback.

The downfall of this FO won't be that they were dumb or couldn't evaluate talent, but the fact that they just couldn't put themselves and their jobs on the line to try to propel this franchise into greatness. With that being said, I do like our draft this year, but I don't love it. I'm not really sure that there was any quarterback in this draft class that would have even been regarded as a franchise quarterback down the road. Next year there are some great quarterbacks expected to come out, and whether this current regime is here or not at this time next season, we need to take a good, hard look at quarterbacks in the 2012 draft class. I hope that one year down the road, I can look back at the NFL Draft weekend with a grin on my face because we did what it took to get a franchise quarterback that could eventually lead us to a Super Bowl.

who in this draft were they suppose to take a risk on? there is only one consensus pick and that is ryan mallett. No teams took that risk. NE did not take a risk. they already have a QB.

you say none of these QB's you didnt think would make it...so why do you sound skeptical? I know you said they know how to evaluate talent and all and were not unreasonable but what would your draft would have looked like?

I am glad they played it safe, because our biggest problem last year was coaching on the offense. We are changing the makeup. I for one am looking forward to these offensive draft picks all contributing right away.

I do appreciate the time you took to put your thoughts out there.

I have seen everything over the past week. I've heard people praising the draft, while others show their disdain with threatening posts like they will stop buying tickets or they are going to cancel their NFL Sunday Ticket because our FO has no clue. Before I go on, I assure you, our FO does have a clue (but that doesn't always lead a team to the promise land)

As in almost every argument, there is a grey area. There are two sides to every story, and this case is no different. From one side, you see this draft, and you see a smart approach. On the other hand, you look at our draft and you scratch your head and ask yourself "What are these guys thinking?" This draft showed that we did a suitable job at addressing most of our needs, while not taking big risks. In other words, we got what we needed. Nothing more, nothing less. Sometimes, that approach is alright. Sometimes, that is exactly what a team needs. Teams that have been plagued by bad drafts look at that approach with open arms and greet it with warm fortitude. However, this team has drafted like that before. We have gone the smart route by drafting Jake Long over Matt Ryan. We have had more drafts where we drafted for a need, and even drafted multiple players at a position of need. Those drafts in the past have yielded some favorable results, and it has helped this team see the light from the cellar.

There is an adage that states "You have to risk it to get the biscuit." While we have seen some talent brought in, we haven't really risked anything in order to better this team. The FO hasn't taken a guy based on a gut feeling or based on him having the ability to do great things, they have focused on stats, measurables, and specific criteria. Basically, they have used inside the box thinking to add talent to this team. While we have spent money on guys like Dandby and put some risk into Brandon Marshall, that is as far as our risk has gone.

It's kind of like the phrase "it isn't what you say, it is how you say it." This FO has shown that they can smartly pick players that can contribute, but they haven't really shown us that they have the ability to truly risk their future on the future of a risky, but necessary pick; that risky, necessary pick being a franchise quarterback.

We have seen them invest time into Chad Henne, and even put some weapons around him. Who knows what the future will be with a new offensive scheme. The likely truth is that we have seen enough from Chad Henne to know that he just doesn't have the edginess, the bite, and the bark to be relied on to be our franchise quarterback. I am confident to say that we will definitely score some more points next year with a new offense, but unless Chad Henne leaves us with no doubt that he can indeed play quarterback at a high level, we really need to take the initiative to truly invest into a quarterback.

The downfall of this FO won't be that they were dumb or couldn't evaluate talent, but the fact that they just couldn't put themselves and their jobs on the line to try to propel this franchise into greatness. With that being said, I do like our draft this year, but I don't love it. I'm not really sure that there was any quarterback in this draft class that would have even been regarded as a franchise quarterback down the road. Next year there are some great quarterbacks expected to come out, and whether this current regime is here or not at this time next season, we need to take a good, hard look at quarterbacks in the 2012 draft class. I hope that one year down the road, I can look back at the NFL Draft weekend with a grin on my face because we did what it took to get a franchise quarterback that could eventually lead us to a Super Bowl.

Great Read!
I agree with most of it and feel this was a good draft which addressed some key needs.
Hopefully, our new OC will be more creative and "coordinate" them so the offense doesn't look like the bafoons they looked like at the end of the last game last season. I think Henne is more of a soldier and his performance was more of a reflection of the OC last season.

RIP Maddog

Can't say the regime didn't take a risk. Pat White was a big risk. They took him based on gut feeling that he might be something special and some outside-the-box thinking that he'd make magic in the Wildcat. But he didn't pan out in sort of an epic, disasterous way. It's a great example of what can happen when you DO stick your neck out there and take a risk - if it doesn't work, you set yourself back. Not to mention you probably vow never to take that kind of a risk again...

Mahache Fiallawy

These aren't flashy picks. There are no real gambles. But I'm happy with the picks. At least this front office have noticeably improved the team. Cam Cameron and Nick Saban left this team a mess. At the very least, the Dolphins have key pieces for the future. We have the a solid offensive line, a franchise receiver, good support receivers, and hopefully a starting running back. Not ideal but Ireland and Sparano have piece by piece improved the team. The defense speaks for itself. 2 years from now with a good quarterback anything is possible.

Even if we drafted a quarterback this year I still don't think the Dolphins are a Super bowl team.

who in this draft were they suppose to take a risk on? there is only one consensus pick and that is ryan mallett. No teams took that risk. NE did not take a risk. they already have a QB.

you say none of these QB's you didnt think would make it...so why do you sound skeptical? I know you said they know how to evaluate talent and all and were not unreasonable but what would your draft would have looked like?

I am glad they played it safe, because our biggest problem last year was coaching on the offense. We are changing the makeup. I for one am looking forward to these offensive draft picks all contributing right away.

I do appreciate the time you took to put your thoughts out there.

If we had a second round pick we could have maybe explored the Blaine Gabbert option. Mainly, we waited too long to take a risk at QB, and if this same staff is in place next season, they need to do all that it takes to get Andrew Luck.

Maybe our FO wants Luck bad enough to get pieces now and then go all out for Luck next season.

Who the **** knows...

Can't say the regime didn't take a risk. Pat White was a big risk. They took him based on gut feeling that he might be something special and some outside-the-box thinking that he'd make magic in the Wildcat. But he didn't pan out in sort of an epic, disasterous way. It's a great example of what can happen when you DO stick your neck out there and take a risk - if it doesn't work, you set yourself back. Not to mention you probably vow never to take that kind of a risk again...

The Pat White pick didn't set us back because none of us expected him to be our franchise quarterback. I would say they used outside the box thinking inside the larger box of the Wildcat. Sometimes, we outsmarted ourselves with the Wildcat. It was not a good pick but if that had been our first pick and if we put the expectation on that pick being one that would yield us extremely favorable results, then it would have been a huge risk.

If you look back at our four first-round picks under this regime, there was less risk involved than a lot of other potential selections at those picks.

I am over being mad about the draft. I just wish this stupid lockout would end so we can get on with free agency.

Back
Top Bottom