The Dolphins WR Room Will Be What? Who Stays, Who Goes? The Smurfs Of The 2020's? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Dolphins WR Room Will Be What? Who Stays, Who Goes? The Smurfs Of The 2020's?

I'll cut TT some slack. If he didn't have time (and often didn't) to find the #3, he HAD to throw to the 1st/2nd read. One of my annoyances with Mcd is, we all know he has multiple guys in the booth feeding him - 'that LCB is 3rd string,' or 'the secondary is letting Berrios run free.' Either Mcd ignores them or needs to fire them and find competence.
But I'll get back to topic. I'd like a minimum of one taller good-hands receiver. EZ is about it. TBF, there are quite a few big TEs on the roster, but they weren't targeted in the RZ/EZ. I expect those bottom 1-2 receivers to make it on blocking/ST. I'll not pretend to know who he/they will be. The good news is at some positions, Miami has enough talent they will be cutting good players.
I'm not even a big Tua fan, but IMO Grier and McDaniel are stunting his growth as a QB. The two of them are responsible for Tua not having a strong o-line to protect him and give him time to go through his reads. And, even in 2022 Tua spread the ball around more, but this past season McDaniel went way overboard in targeting Hill and occasionally Waddle while mostly ignoring other receivers. Yes, the play of the o-line had a little something to do with it, but it seemed to me that maybe McDaniel was trying to help Hill get his 2K yards, to the detriment of the rest of the offense. It also didn't help that McDaniel kept going for it on 4th down even when it made no sense to do so, especially with a decimated o-line.

And, fans of McDaniel are going to point out how his offense had stellar stats and was highly ranked, but those stats didn't help them beat good teams. The only "slightly-good" team that they beat was Dallas, and Miami was lucky to win that; one more penalty in the last possession could have lost the game for them. Even so, McDaniel's so-called #1 offense scored just one TD in that game... pathetic, just like the one TD they scored when they lost to KC in the playoffs.

As I said, I'm not a huge Tua fan, but I can imagine how successful he could be if he had even just an average o-line over the course of the season. And, he would have won more games if he had an experienced playcaller who knew how to make effective adjustments to counter the defense and knew how to take advantage of the strengths of his players, unlike the person who thought it was better to use Gesicki as a blocker instead of a receiver.

Last edited:
It’s why McDaniel better scheme up some multiple tight end sets utilizing their underused fullback when they have to play small ball in the playoffs in the cold. It’s what got the skill-position deprived Chiefs through the playoffs last year. Mahomes helped of course, but Andy Reid played rope-a-dope offense all year and changed it up in January.
That makes sense, but I have no faith that McDaniel is going to get better and change what he's doing. The main problem is that he has ZERO experience in calling plays and running an offense. He was an OC in name only for just one season, so he doesn't have the knowledge that other OCs with experience have when they become a Head Coach. McDaniel is basically learning "on the job" how to be both an OC and a HC, and that's not fair to the team or the fans.

I'll cut TT some slack. If he didn't have time (and often didn't) to find the #3, he HAD to throw to the 1st/2nd read. One of my annoyances with Mcd is, we all know he has multiple guys in the booth feeding him - 'that LCB is 3rd string,' or 'the secondary is letting Berrios run free.' Either Mcd ignores them or needs to fire them and find competence.
But I'll get back to topic. I'd like a minimum of one taller good-hands receiver. EZ is about it. TBF, there are quite a few big TEs on the roster, but they weren't targeted in the RZ/EZ. I expect those bottom 1-2 receivers to make it on blocking/ST. I'll not pretend to know who he/they will be. The good news is at some positions, Miami has enough talent they will be cutting good players.
I thought that was Fortson's role with KC, and the reason why we signed him. KC fans claim he was an effective red-zone target.

I'm not even a big Tua fan, but IMO Grier and McDaniel are stunting his growth as a QB. The two of them are responsible for Tua not having a strong o-line to protect him and give him time to go through his reads. And, even in 2022 Tua spread the ball around more, but this past season McDaniel went way overboard in targeting Hill and occasionally Waddle while mostly ignoring other receivers. Yes, the play of the o-line had a little something to do with it, but it seemed to me that maybe McDaniel was trying to help Hill get his 2K yards, to the detriment of the rest of the offense. It also didn't help that McDaniel kept going for it on 4th down even when it made no sense to do so, especially with a decimated o-line.

And, fans of McDaniel are going to point out how his offense had stellar stats and was highly ranked, but those stats didn't help them beat good teams. The only "slightly-good" team that they beat was Dallas, and Miami was lucky to win that; one more penalty in the last possession could have lost the game for them. Even so, McDaniel's so-called #1 offense scored just one TD in that game... pathetic, just like the one TD they scored when they lost to KC in the playoffs.

As I said, I'm not a huge Tua fan, but I can imagine how successful he could be if he had even just an average o-line over the course of the season. And, he would have won more games if he had an experienced playcaller who knew how to make effective adjustments to counter the defense and knew how to take advantage of the strengths of his players, unlike the person who thought it was better to use Gesicki as a blocker instead of a receiver.

Yeah, in the last 4 games Miami scored one TD in 4Q. A TD drive when Miami was on BALT's 17 at start of 4Q in garbage time. That's what top Os do, right? Those saying 'why knock a top O' seem to be saying 'it's a waste of time and resources to get better.' I don't agree.
No one knows how the game 1 OL will shake out. There was a loss of talent. There is also the likelihood of some improved talent. Mostly, there are unknowns. I suspect this season will not come down to level of talent as much as it will be proper use of the talent

I don't see why people think Berrios is going to stick, was he hurt last year? can't remember a single play he made.

I thought that was Fortson's role with KC, and the reason why we signed him. KC fans claim he was an effective red-zone target.

There are now 5? TEs on the roster - all 6'3" or better. To different degrees Fortson, Hill, Smith seem to have the skills to be the RZ/EZ guys. I agree, the little film I've seen, Fortson looks like a good target. But targets are on little value if unused.

That makes sense, but I have no faith that McDaniel is going to get better and change what he's doing. The main problem is that he has ZERO experience in calling plays and running an offense. He was an OC in name only for just one season, so he doesn't have the knowledge that other OCs with experience have when they become a Head Coach. McDaniel is basically learning "on the job" how to be both an OC and a HC, and that's not fair to the team or the fans.

Part of me is pessimistic. I've seen little improvement in in-game decisions since year one. Not just play-calling, but as you note, no use of hurryup, no targeting weaknesses, completely ignoring play types (e.g., quick slant). I see no 'learning.' And it seemed he prioritized Hill's 2K over wins. But, I have to be fair, injuries do matter and he did stop the minute and half of motions before the snap.
I get the speed, but it seems as if this off-season, the emphasis was on speed AND quickness. I'm a fan. 3 spots seem set - TH, Waddle, OBJ. I'm still not dropping Berrios automatically, but he's certainly not safe. Assuming 6 spots, 1-2 WRs will make it because of ST. That means only 1-2 will make the team because of WR talent exclusively and there seems to be a lot of talent. Just like the draft, whoever doesn't make the 53, there will be angst.

Hill
Waddle
OBJ
Malik Washington
Berrios
Tahj Washington/Cracraft/EZ fighting it out for the sixth spot.

Part of me is pessimistic. I've seen little improvement in in-game decisions since year one. Not just play-calling, but as you note, no use of hurryup, no targeting weaknesses, completely ignoring play types (e.g., quick slant). I see no 'learning.' And it seemed he prioritized Hill's 2K over wins. But, I have to be fair, injuries do matter and he did stop the minute and half of motions before the snap.
I get the speed, but it seems as if this off-season, the emphasis was on speed AND quickness. I'm a fan. 3 spots seem set - TH, Waddle, OBJ. I'm still not dropping Berrios automatically, but he's certainly not safe. Assuming 6 spots, 1-2 WRs will make it because of ST. That means only 1-2 will make the team because of WR talent exclusively and there seems to be a lot of talent. Just like the draft, whoever doesn't make the 53, there will be angst.
Fair assessment. IMO, if McDaniel continues to call the plays, the team is gambling that he will improve. And, if they can field a decent o-line throughout the season (another gamble), then we'll have a better idea of his playcalling and adjustments effectiveness (or lack thereof). I'll admit that last season had less unnecessary motion and fewer wasted time-outs and delay of game penalties, but McDaniel needs to do something when it comes to challenges; I think he was successful on just one or two last season.

I understand being a fan of the speed and quickness. When McDaniel was hired, early in his first season Miami was explosive in the passing game. I've been waiting to see an effective vertical passing game from them for a long, long time, so I loved it. However, over time, I began to see that while McDaniel was decent at designing those big plays, he wasn't very good at running a regular tough, blue-collar "get 'er done" offense. His offense looks pretty when everything is perfect, but against tough, physical defenses, that fancy stuff didn't work. IOW, it's all flash and no substance.

Don't get me wrong; I do like to see that flashy stuff too. However, I see that stuff as the icing on the cake. IMO, you first need to build a team that is tough and physical because football is a tough and physical game. You need a strong foundation on offense so that you can impose your will on the opponent when necessary. Being able to control the LOS, consistently convert 3rd and 4th and short on the ground, and having reliable WRs and TEs to pick up 1st downs are the basics of elementary football. If you can be good at these things (along with a tough defense, of course), you can win a lot of games, no matter if it's in the heat of early season Miami or the cold of post-season KC. Then, add in that speed and big play potential, and you've got a really good offense!

The problem in Miami is that McDaniel is building an offense focusing on the speed guys and hoping for the big play. And when that gets taken away from him, he doesn't have that "blue-collar" offense to grind it out with the top teams. IMO, if he wants to succeed, he needs to go with physical first, and then add in the finesse. That said, it's also possible that McDaniel doesn't like or want a physical team, and if that's the case, then Miami will continue to lose to the top teams while hoping to settle for another Wild Card and first round exit.

Most teams keep 6.

Stay-

Locks: Tyreek, Waddle
Highly Probable: OBJ, Malik Washington (#6 pick), Berrios
Probable: Tahj Washington (#7 pick)

Gone / Practice Squad:

Cracraft, Eazy E

But guesswork, probably T Washington, Cracraft, Eazy E all compete for that last spot. It may be Cracraft wins out because of his contract, and they think it is easier to get T Washington and E through to the practice squad?

I could call OBJ a lock, but the guaranteed portion of his contract is small enough that it is theoretically possible for them to let him go if he doesn't look good. Berrios is at some risk too, I guess he could move into the probable bucket.

Late edit. Assuming EZ does not make the team, we will not have any receivers of size, and our TE's are not particularly tall either. We had some size last year. Ced Wilson, and then they added Claypool as well. Gesicki (TE) the prior year. Their thinking may have been some variety is good, and the height also helps in the red zone. This year, our entire receiver room looks like it will end up being of the small and quick variety. OBJ and the two draft picks also fit that mold. My guess is they have come to the determination that these types of receivers match up best with Tua's skill set, and they are willing to give up on the taller receivers and what they bring to the table in the red zone?

Thoughts?
I think Cracraft makes it over T Washington. As far as the size, I don't think they necessarily aren't targeting tall receivers, just haven't had the opportunity to grab one that they like.

I would just keep the top 4 RB's we have especially knowing how frequently they all get injured, Mostert, Achane, Wright and Wilson. Ahmed can go to the PS since I dont think aybody would poach him. Keeping 6 WR's and 4 RB's seems right.

Brooks over Wilson.

Hill , Waddle , OBJ , Easy, Washington, Cray

Back
Top Bottom