The Evolution of an Offensive Line | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Evolution of an Offensive Line

baracuda said:
I like your thoughts on the line. Unfortunately, whether or not Spielman likes a player like Wade Smith or not won't hide the fact that he will never be a stud at his position. Wade Smith (and quite a few others on the present line) are merely patches to a really bad problem.

How many hall of famers did we have on the line back in the 70's? 80's?

You just don't replace hall of famers guys. The last two linemen the Dolphins drafted that really worked well were Webb and Simms. The rest of these guys are all 2nd rate guys. Maybe Carey will prove me wrong, but I'm afraid that the future does not look that bright in regards to our O line.

I see your point about HOF'ers, however, I still think it is way too soon to think this group of guys can NOT get to that level. If my memory is correct not all of those HOF lineman were studs in their first year. Let's give them at least this year before we make up our minds on them! :D

The most popular comparison of a current NFL player with Carey pre draft, seems to have been Larry Allen. He played RT as a rookie before moving inside and that is where he made his name as an OL it seems to me.
IMO, a plausible scenario when DMac returns at 100% would be to move Carey to RG ala Allen and insert DMac at RT. I think a healthy DMac is certainly one of our 5 best run blockers and would need to be in the starting lineup. I'd like to eventually see a line of Smith/James/McKinney/Carey/McIntosh

I absolutley love having such depth on the 0-line and all the possibilitys that come with it. I think we are in such great shape going into next year. We as fans should be cautiously optimistic about this upcoming season. I am one that would love to have Pape playing guard he was a three time all american with the wolveriens and has a nasty streak, also, he's a big boy. This team looks nothing like last years aging wounded. I love to read everything I can about our team, I still feel we are a long way from making the next level but we are very much heading in the right direction. We played NE close in both games last year and with the much improved O we now have I think NE better take this team very seriously or they could be in for a butt woopin..... :D.

phinphanbill said:
I think St Clair being the starting RT is just incentive for Carey at this point.

I think that's correct. Wanny made some comment during minicamps that was either quoted in one of the weekend articles (don't remember where), about St. Claire being told he would be given a shot at the starting position and that Carey doesn't get anything given to him; he's got to earn it to gain respect in his teammates' eyes.

Nice read... :D

I think the RG position will be fine with the guys we've got. OG T. Whitely or possibly B. Yates could probably do no worse than departed OG T. Perry....

The depth this off-season will make for very good competition. That is something we've had very little of since the days of Perry, Ruddy, and Dixon. It's about time we fixed the OL, and now at least we're taking steps towards doing that....

I think when it's all said and done, our OL will be much better off. These youngsters are hungry, and all Ricky needs is a small hole. I see good things ahead for this group of guys...

PHINZ RULE!!! :cpatch:

I'm optimistic about 2004...(I'm trying to stay cautiously optimistic)...
I think these OL guys will become VERY good in 2-3 years, but I hope they gel right away for 2004.
But I think we have a SOLID foundation of young, hungry, talented O-linemen for many years to come.
I just hope they play at a high level for 2004...

Can't MCintosh move inside when he comes back? I think that would be the best Oline we have:

LT - Smith
LG - James
C - MCKinney
RG - MCIntosh
RT - Carey

I think that would be a great line.

I think MCIntosh was signed to start until he was "injured". That is WAY too much money to give a back up.

McIntosh - If he returns healthy is a very good player. He can play guard or tackle. He is probably best suited at RT. Some have suggested that his footwork is only adequate making him a little weak on pass protection, therefore a could be a good RG. He was slated to be our RT, until they found out about his injury. Once he returns, if St. Clair and Carey are struggling, they can put him in at RT. More than likely, if he returns after the 6th week, (assuming he is on the PUP), then he will backup on the line this year to allow him to continue to rehab his ankle and see how things develop in 2005. He may be expendable or he may challenge for a spot. I think when healthy, he is one of our top 5 guys...but we seem to be loaded at RT/RG tweeners.

St. Clair - They then signed St. Clair and told him he would be the leading candidate for the RT spot. St. Clair had some problems at RT with the Rams, but the reasons were that he took all the reps in practice as b/u center and guard...then because of injuries late in camp, he was thrown in at RT....He progressed each game and was much better by the end of the year. This is why RS signed him. He was pretty much relegated to OL backup (across the board) when the Rams signed Turley. St. Clair's biggest problem is that he is versatile enough to back up and that may be where RS would like to have him, once McI returns. St. Clair's strength is probably inside.

Carey and St. Clair will fight it out for the RT spot. If Carey develops well there, St. Clair would be best suited to move to RG, giving us a solid line with at least a whole-season experienced starter at RG, C, LG, LT. this is based on the idea that Whitley and Jerman have little game experience.

Carey is the question. If he doesn't develop well at RT in the pros, he would make a terrific RG. If the team wants to press the issue with Carey and expect him to be our RT of the future, they could leave St. Clair there this year, have Carey back him up and start Jerman or Whitley at RG. They have both looked good. Jerman started once or twice last year.

Seth started 3 games, but played in most every game either at RG or center. Part of the reason he did not take the C job from Ruddy, was that he was needed as a G, once Dixon went down and for depth. Of course, we all know he had some problems with the line calls, but that would have been an issue that worked out quickly if he had been thrown in as the starter at C instead of bounced around.

Yates will probably end up as our b/u C and G. He can fill in at all three positions. Pape may make the roster as a b/u G/T. We'll have to see more of him for now and Hadnot is probably headed for the practice squad. They have potential, but need more time. Goodspeed could sneak a roster spot while McI is on PUP or perhaps Hadnot, if he develps faster than expected.

Mile High Fin said:
I'm optimistic about 2004...(I'm trying to stay cautiously optimistic)...
I think these OL guys will become VERY good in 2-3 years, but I hope they gel right away for 2004.
But I think we have a SOLID foundation of young, hungry, talented O-linemen for many years to come.
I just hope they play at a high level for 2004...
This is a great thread!

And this post says almost eaxctly how I feel. I would only add one thing, when MHF said they'll be good for 2-3 years he should have said 3-4 years. I believe that Seth Mckinney is the only one that's not under contract for at least the next three years. That's gives me a real good feeling. Two years from now, hopefully these guys will be reading each others' mind out there and then we'll have two more years of watching them play at that level.

Optimisticly speaking, of course. :D

I think it is nonsensical to move Carey inside when he was obviously much better as a tackle than as a guard in college.

Additionally,if it means anything...

KBISBACK said:
I think it is nonsensical to move Carey inside when he was obviously much better as a tackle than as a guard in college.

Carey has said he prefers to play RT. To me, it's a no brainer. If he can do it, keep him at RT. A happy O-lineman is a productive O-lineman. :D

Steve

McKinney was signed to a three year deal out of the draft. He will be a RFA after this season. Unless he plans to pull a Wale on us he will be here. We would have more than enough oppurtunity to sign him up long term.

Ohiophinphan said:
McKinney was signed to a three year deal out of the draft. He will be a RFA after this season. Unless he plans to pull a Wale on us he will be here. We would have more than enough oppurtunity to sign him up long term.
Thanks for confirming what I thought. We should be pretty set on the line for at least 4 years.

Back
Top Bottom