The future of Ryan Tannehill as a Dolphin (and some of the past) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The future of Ryan Tannehill as a Dolphin (and some of the past)

LikeUntoGod

The Oracle
Reaction score
In another thread, Tannehill's "long ball" was shown to have improved. To be honest, he did not do it that often, like 21st in the NFL but the accuracy numbers were very good.

I thought the reason for the improvement was important and also simple.

The article also mentioned that Ryan was only sacked one time that could be avoided. And this is important because it seems to some that Tannehill has poor pocket awareness. And I do not think that is totally correct. I believe that he does what QBs are supposed to do, he stands in there knowing pass rushers are coming because he is looking for the instance when he can throw the ball for a completion.

Here is the reason that Ryan Tannehill's long ball has become one of the NFL best. He was only sacked 29 times this year. Which was 18th in the NFL.

Hmmm, is that a difference? Well, in 2015 he was tied for 3rd most sacked QB with 45. In 2014 he was 3rd in the NFL and was sacked 46 times. In 2113, he was sacked more than any QB in the NFL and somehow lived through 58 sacks.

I'm frankly amazed that he is still able to play football. And he is still standing in there to make throws when pressure is coming.

But what miracle made this happen you say? How did he improve and his sacks off of his shoulders?

Well, children, I'm here to tell you about "LikeUntoGod's Church of Running the Damn Ball". For Gase doth listen through osmosis and we became a running team. In 2016, we ran the ball 25.3 times a game. Which is only 4 times more than 2015. And our team YPC was a bit better last season at 4.5 compared to 2015's 4.3.

But with Jay Ajayi running for the 5th highest yards in the NFL and more importantly, the spirit and toughness to do it. To run the ball when they knew we were going to run the ball. To end games like Ricky Williams used to do by just breaking off a big gainer or TD against them.

And some of us might admit that Ryan Tannehill is a better QB than Jay Fielder was. And that Gase has a few more ideas than Wanny did. And our WRs and TEs might be better.

So if you were to give me one wish, besides everyone showing up healthy and the new guys doing well, I'd say again. Please, Coach Gase, run the football. Run it whenever we want to. Run it when we have to, make 3rd and 3 yards for a 1st down a running down again (he ran last year on like 3rd and 7-8).

And keep working with Tannehill and that evolving play action pass. Because there is where Tannehill and the Dolphins shined last season. I kind of expect big things this season. If fact, I do not know about most of you, but I'm "expecting" to be in the playoffs.

This is why the offensive line is so important. If I am not mistaken all 3 or 2 games where Ajayi rushed for over 200 yards a game the oline was healthy and all 5 starters played. We need depth at the oline where injuries are inevitable... specially an oline anchored by the oft injured Mike Pouncey.

It is not enough to have 5 starters on the Oline... we have seen that one weak position on the oline can derail an entire season, game by game, play by play. They say sacks are drive killers, making a bad oline a season killer.

I also worry about the depth behind Ajayi. Hopefully we can find a capable back up during training camp.

Totally agree with everything!! Nice Post thanks.:up:
Cant wait for the season to start!!!

I know he is a robot but if he is still playing football in 2113... He will own every record!!!!

FINS UP!

next 4 yr will tell you everything about thill17. he will be 29yr old in July. He is not young person in nfl any more...

By all accounts we can thank Clyde Christensen and not Gase for that.

Kinda wish we had traded down with ATL and gotten Lamp and then double up with Asiata.

Balancing the run and pass game is and has always been the key to winning in football.

Under Philbin our ran/pass ratio was abysmal 36/64 and was in the bottom 5 in the league for balance. Gase & Co. firmly leveled that to 46/54 and we were #6 in the league directly behind the Patriots who ran it 47% and three spots ahead of Atlanta who ran it 44% of the time.

Another factor for lowering the sack total was the perimeter screens we used as constraints to ease the pressure off of having to hold pass protection for any certain length of time. We threw the 2nd most amount of screens in the NFL which gave immediate relief in that respect and helped reduce sacks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Balancing the run and pass game is and has always been the key to winning in football.

Under Philbin our ran/pass ratio was abysmal 36/66 and was in the bottom 5 in the league for balance. Gase & Co. firmly leveled that to 46/54 and we were #6 in the league directly behind the Patriots who ran it 47% and three spots ahead of Atlanta who ran it 44% of the time.

Another factor for lowering the sack total was the perimeter screens we used as constraints to ease the pressure off of having to hold pass protection for any certain length of time. We threw the 2nd most amount of screens in the NFL which gave immediate relief in that respect and helped reduce sacks.

might want to recalculate that

Under Philbin our ran/pass ratio was abysmal 36/64 and was in the bottom 5 in the league for balance. Gase & Co. firmly leveled that to 46/54 and we were #6 in the league directly behind the Patriots who ran it 47% and three spots ahead of Atlanta who ran it 44% of the time.

i had to read that 36/64 split twice. Wow. Even guys like Aaron Rodgers and Peyton Manning wouldn't be able to win titles w those ratios. Oof.

next 4 yr will tell you everything about thill17. he will be 29yr old in July. He is not young person in nfl any more...

The next 4 years?!?!

We already know everything we need to know. Some of you are just a little behind. We'll wait for you.

On the first day, in the first real game. I want us to run the ball 25 plus times just to say "hey funkheads, we are running the ball and we are running it until you prove you can sell out enough to stop it. And then we are going to hit a couple of long play action passes and finish up with 4-5 more runs to end the game.

And there is not a damn thing you can do about it.

This is why the offensive line is so important. If I am not mistaken all 3 or 2 games where Ajayi rushed for over 200 yards a game the oline was healthy and all 5 starters played. We need depth at the oline where injuries are inevitable... specially an oline anchored by the oft injured Mike Pouncey.

It is not enough to have 5 starters on the Oline... we have seen that one weak position on the oline can derail an entire season, game by game, play by play. They say sacks are drive killers, making a bad oline a season killer.

I also worry about the depth behind Ajayi. Hopefully we can find a capable back up during training camp.

I like Drake a lot.

Back
Top Bottom