The Guard Position | Page 16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Guard Position

but we shoulda drafted a gaurd
Sad Fetal Position GIF by Adult Swim

My favourite post of this draft year.

Congratulations! You win!

Nothing is black and white as far as the draft is concerned and you know that. 50% or more of the players drafted will not even make the teams that drafted them. That being said, even though I understand the Chop pick especially with Phillips and Chubb injuries, it has always concerned me that Grier always undervalues the interior OL. Year after year, draft after draft, he passes on quality O-Linemen. Barton will start for the Bucs...DAY 1. If Chop starts day 1 it's because either Chubb or Phillips is not ready. Grier and McDaniel have already started with the same BS line they said last year "we think more of the OL we have than you guys (press) do." That SAME OL is why we can't beat the tough hard-nosed teams in January. So frustrating...

Yep. Paul is a project with a high ceiling. But he’s not a fix for OG. There were some OTs who could start out at OG and shift to OT (Amegadjie; Suamataia; et al). Perhaps Paul will be better than those. But many have one or both rated higher. We shall see.

Now that the draft is over, my biggest concern is at guard. The projected starters are Wynn and Eichenberg. That's not a comfortable feeling.

I'm not disappointed in the draft, as Grier was looking for the future while balancing the need for edge rushers, but would have like to add a quality guard.

Others on the roster include Cotton, Driscoll (added as a free agent), Hayes (a later rounder last year), Hines, and Robert Jones. There were a few added as UDFA as well.

Do we think Grier signs another offensive linemen, or hopes some young players step up?
Yes.. signs a veteran guard, but not Reisnor. D-Line…Maybe Calais Campbell… 37, but a badass.. my Canes brother. Maybe a FA safety. Not sure about the 6 guys Grier signed as upfront players, but a true run stopper to assist Long would be good.

Last edited:
I think a lot of people, myself included, thought or assumed that the Dolphins would want quick, athletic and mobile OGs for this system. To date, there has been no attempt to do that. And the Niners under Shanahan haven't done that either. On both teams, they actually seem to be looking for guys in the 320 range and seem to gravitate to guys with nothing compelling in their athletic testing. Some that have played a lot have been downright bad in their testing. McD inherited Hunt at RG, but there was an obvious opportunity to move him back to RT if they felt his physical profile didn't fit. They obviously didn't do that and he played well in this system. They have kept Robert Jones and his poor 40, shuttle and 3-cone times for several years and have also used Lester Cotton there even though his athletic profile bears no resemblance to what people believe is needed for this kind of scheme. They signed Isaiah Wynn, but he apparently did no athletic testing coming out and I suspect he would have if it would have been good. It has been much the same in SF, where Laken Tomlinson started at OG with poor speed and agility metrics. They drafted Aaron Banks in the 2nd, which is a big investment in OG for this scheme, but he is another 325 lb guy who runs 5.3+. Same with John Feliciano. Spencer Buford is a little smaller, but still not fast or particularly athletic. Daniel Brunskill is a smaller guy but even at only 273 coming out he still had a pretty poor 3-cone (7.9), shuttle (4.84) and a pedestrian vertical (28").

I really have no idea what they are looking for in an OG.

Well we sure have an excellent turnout of “hindsight warriors “masquerading as closet GM’s… Many think we should have gone guard in the first round. Imagine that!! LOL

Now that the draft is over, my biggest concern is at guard. The projected starters are Wynn and Eichenberg. That's not a comfortable feeling.

I'm not disappointed in the draft, as Grier was looking for the future while balancing the need for edge rushers, but would have like to add a quality guard.

Others on the roster include Cotton, Driscoll (added as a free agent), Hayes (a later rounder last year), Hines, and Robert Jones. There were a few added as UDFA as well.

Do we think Grier signs another offensive linemen, or hopes some young players step up?
I think Driscoll has a serious chance to start at OG, especially now that we have Lamm and Paul for OT3 and OT4

Love Robert Jones, but he may not make the Roster. He'll have to beat out Cotton IMO.

Armstead, Ajax, Driscoll, Brewer, Wynn, Eich, Lamm, Paul, and the vet we will sign soon that may be a starter at OG.

I think a lot of people, myself included, thought or assumed that the Dolphins would want quick, athletic and mobile OGs for this system. To date, there has been no attempt to do that. And the Niners under Shanahan haven't done that either. On both teams, they actually seem to be looking for guys in the 320 range and seem to gravitate to guys with nothing compelling in their athletic testing. Some that have played a lot have been downright bad in their testing. McD inherited Hunt at RG, but there was an obvious opportunity to move him back to RT if they felt his physical profile didn't fit. They obviously didn't do that and he played well in this system. They have kept Robert Jones and his poor 40, shuttle and 3-cone times for several years and have also used Lester Cotton there even though his athletic profile bears no resemblance to what people believe is needed for this kind of scheme. They signed Isaiah Wynn, but he apparently did no athletic testing coming out and I suspect he would have if it would have been good. It has been much the same in SF, where Laken Tomlinson started at OG with poor speed and agility metrics. They drafted Aaron Banks in the 2nd, which is a big investment in OG for this scheme, but he is another 325 lb guy who runs 5.3+. Same with John Feliciano. Spencer Buford is a little smaller, but still not fast or particularly athletic. Daniel Brunskill is a smaller guy but even at only 273 coming out he still had a pretty poor 3-cone (7.9), shuttle (4.84) and a pedestrian vertical (28").

I really have no idea what they are looking for in an OG.
You are not alone.

Back
Top Bottom