The "Hurricane Irma: Dolfans - Lost And Found" Thread | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The "Hurricane Irma: Dolfans - Lost And Found" Thread

phins_4_ever

E12 FH Tailgate Gang
Reaction score
This thread is for all those in the path of Irma. For now just the Floridians and Bahamians. If Irma becomes an issue up north we can extend that.

Please leave this thread only for those in the path.

Since I have met quite a few of you over the years at tailgating events I am also concerned about your safety. Some of you are experienced Hurricaners and some of you go through this for the first time. Some of you were kids when we last faced a threat like that and have now their own families and you bear the same responsibility for your kids as your parents did for you.

Let us know where you are and if you are staying or leaving. If you are leaving let us know when you are heading out and when you safely arrive at your destination.
If you stay give us some details about your location (i.e. shutters, single family home, apartment etc).

I start:
Experience: 5 Hurricanes
Staying/Leaving: Staying
Location: West Boca Raton (in the vicinity of US441 and Yamato Road).
Home: single family home
South, West and East are protected by CAT V approved impact window. The North side was up for replacement widows this winter when the patio is redone. The windows and sliders are covered by hurricane shutters though.
Roof: as it was common in the years before the new building code the roof was attached with toenails. It has been upgraded with straps on every truss.
Additionally: The East and West is pretty good covered by neighboring houses. The south side has homes on the other side and my front area has a concrete wall which additionally breaks the wind towards the living room window.
Biggest exposure and point of weakness is the north side. The patio roof was build into the roof and the patio could act as a pocket and lift the patio roof and subsequently take a part of the roof off.
I do have a big ass mango tree and a bunch of shrubbery covering that area and in the past it worked as a wind breaker. Otherwise it is a wide open area with no immediate neighbors.
Though having a canal in the backyard we are the least flood prone area in our vicinity. The canal is regulated via gates and they already lowered the water level to 7 feet below normal water levels.

I should be alright but then again: it is mother nature and she does what she wants to do. And she definitely loves to throw tornadoes into a hurricane.

I will try to post some pics.

PS: if anybody not directly affected has any questions please click reply, copy the quote and place it in the general Irma thread. I would like to keep this thread clean for people to let us know that they are safe.

PPS: if nobody is interested we just let the thread die.

Back
Top Bottom