The next Csonka, Kick and Morris? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The next Csonka, Kick and Morris?

rafael

Hall Of Famer
Club Member
Reaction score
I was reading one of the camp reports about how surprisingly well (to some) the rbs have done. The report highlighted how Konrad was lining up at tb and the over all versatility of both Konrad and Morris to play both rb positions. It also mentioned the quick strike ability of Minor. This seems like a modern version of Csonka, Kick and Morris. I would cast Konrad in the Csonka role, Kick is played by S. Morris and M. Morris is played by Minor. The modern version is more pass oriented as of course the NFL has become more pass oriented, but otherwise they seem similar to me. They show that same interchangeability (is that a word?), where the team could run the same play regardless of whose in there. And even though it's the same play the D never seems to adjust to the varying styles. I always thought that was one of the things that made the Miami running game of the early '70s so successful. I see the same potential in this lineup, albeit with a little more emphasis on the receiving skills of this trio.

(I don't mean to discount Henry and Russell. I just think that baring injury these guys will make their contributions on STs)

Excellent post. I wonder if Shula is noticing this and may give Dave a call to share some insight?

i was thinking more along the lines of the next woody bennett,nick giaquinto, and terry robiskie.....we need a back

Lehighphin said:
I don't think so raf.

Why don't you think so? Is it just reputation? If I remember correctly, nobody thought that trio would be anything special going into the '71 season. Csonka had a good college career. Kick was unknown and Morris was a speedy 3rd down back also with some college success. This isn't much different than what we coming into this season.

While I don't think Konrad can carry the load that Czonka carried, this could be something similar. This is how you retool things within your philosophy to achieve your philosophy though. They will find a way to get a running game going.

What some people forget about those early 70s teams is the line. Three of the starters along the offensive line didn't come to Miami till the 1970 season. Wayne Moore, Bob Kuechenberg, and Jim Langer were all first year players in 1970. Larry Little became a Dolphin in 1969, after he was CUT by the San Diego Chargers. Norm Evans was the elder statesman of the group. So, going into the 1970 season, Miami had a very inexperienced offensive line that had guys who were considered castoffs from other teams.

Kuechenberg was never drafted and was released by two teams before hooking up in Miami. Jim Langer was an undrafted guy that was in Cleveland's camp. OL coach Monte Clark convinced Don Shula to trade for Langer.

rafael said:
I was reading one of the camp reports about how surprisingly well (to some) the rbs have done. The report highlighted how Konrad was lining up at tb and the over all versatility of both Konrad and Morris to play both rb positions. It also mentioned the quick strike ability of Minor. This seems like a modern version of Csonka, Kick and Morris. I would cast Konrad in the Csonka role, Kick is played by S. Morris and M. Morris is played by Minor. The modern version is more pass oriented as of course the NFL has become more pass oriented, but otherwise they seem similar to me. They show that same interchangeability (is that a word?), where the team could run the same play regardless of whose in there. And even though it's the same play the D never seems to adjust to the varying styles. I always thought that was one of the things that made the Miami running game of the early '70s so successful. I see the same potential in this lineup, albeit with a little more emphasis on the receiving skills of this trio.

(I don't mean to discount Henry and Russell. I just think that baring injury these guys will make their contributions on STs)
:roflmao: I know Csonka, Morris and Kiick and Konrad, Minor and Morris are no Csonka, Morris and Kiick. If you want to suggest they are a version of it they are an extremely poor one.

Seriously, thats like saying Jay Fiedler is a modern version of Dan Marino or Bob Griese, either of which of course.....he is not.

Back
Top Bottom