***The Official NHL Offseason Thread*** | Page 17 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

***The Official NHL Offseason Thread***

I don't mind the 3.4, it's actually not bad. The 6 years is what I find stunning.
I think it's a trade off, if your going to sign a player like Zubrus to $3.4 mill a year, you have to give him something to offset that.

To be honest I think this is a better value contract than what Gomez got with the Rangers, $7.3 mill a year for seven years with a NTC? That's a contract that you give to an elite player and Gomez while a very good player in his own right is not elite.

I think it's a trade off, if your going to sign a player like Zubrus to $3.4 mill a year, you have to give him something to offset that.

To be honest I think this is a better value contract than what Gomez got with the Rangers, $7.3 mill a year for seven years with a NTC? That's a contract that you give to an elite player and Gomez while a very good player in his own right is not elite.
I totally agree. there are many contracts signed in the last few days that leave me scratchng my head. Giving players mega length deals is insane in a cap system.

agreed. Gomez is an awesome playmaker but hes not great on D and hes never scored 20 goals

agreed. Gomez is an awesome playmaker but hes not great on D and hes never scored 20 goals

as a Rangers fan I do have to agree it's a lot of $$$, but I think it was also partly done to keep him away from the Flyers.....

we'll see soon enoygh if it was worth it....but that is a lot of cash in a capped system like you said....

isles got Comrie (1yr/4m), said he wants a chance to show hes a 1st line C.
Isles got Bill Guerin (2yr/9m) as he will probably just replace Smyth.

Solid signings both. Guerin replaces the veteran leadership we lost with Smyth for a shaorter contract and about a million less with virtually the same goal production last year. Comrie isnt a 1st line C imo, just a solid 2nd liner, but at least hes a warm body which we didnt have before.

Just an idea, but if Im Garth Snow, maybe I keep my 14 million in cap space (or close to it) and say "Hey Sidney, youre a RFA and we cant draft for ****....so here's 10-12 years at 10m per". The 5 1sts truly mean nothing to this franchise because they cant draft in rd 1 at all. Since 1985 theyve had fewer players selected in round one that did so much as make an all star team than any other franchise. Man, that would **** off the rest of the league but I can see wang doing it since he loves to make a splash and throw his billions around.

The Flyers are gonna win the Cup in 2007-2008...Just ask Nizzo. :wink:

Solid signings both. Guerin replaces the veteran leadership we lost with Smyth for a shaorter contract and about a million less with virtually the same goal production last year. Comrie isnt a 1st line C imo, just a solid 2nd liner, but at least hes a warm body which we didnt have before.

Just an idea, but if Im Garth Snow, maybe I keep my 14 million in cap space (or close to it) and say "Hey Sidney, youre a RFA and we cant draft for ****....so here's 10-12 years at 10m per". The 5 1sts truly mean nothing to this franchise because they cant draft in rd 1 at all. Since 1985 theyve had fewer players selected in round one that did so much as make an all star team than any other franchise. Man, that would **** off the rest of the league but I can see wang doing it since he loves to make a splash and throw his billions around.

Haha that's a crazy idea. But yea, great signings, now just sign a defensemen and a 3rd line center and I think we're set.

Haha that's a crazy idea. But yea, great signings, now just sign a defensemen and a 3rd line center and I think we're set.
3rd line C? We need a 1st line C. But for now I could compramise and sign Peca to a short term deal.

As far as D: Ive heard us linked to a handful of players from Souray to McCabe (still) and further yet that we've tried unsuccessfully to get JovoCop to waive his NTC. Im predicting a trade coming and that it will be a us taking a short term bad contract (like Foote for ex who played for Nolan all the way back in the minors) or Fedorov who only has a year left on his deal.

This could an interesting situation worth montitoring....it was on TSN and rotoworld:

The Edmonton Oilers are saying that Michael Nylander reneged on a deal that had the center agreeing to a contract with Edmonton.

"On Sunday, July 1, 2007, Kevin Lowe, Oilers general manager, and Mr. Mike Gillis, certified agent for Michael Nylander, negotiated and agreed to a multi-year NHL Standard Players Contract, starting in 2007-08. Mr. Gillis confirmed same to the Oilers in writing," the Oilers' statement read Tuesday. "The Oilers then proceeded with preparations to announce Mr. Nylander's contract agreement on July 2, and concurrently continued with the process of negotiating with other free agents based upon Mr. Nylander being an important roster ingredient for the future. However, while the Oilers were expecting the returned signed agreements from Mr. Nylander and Mr. Gillis, the Oilers discovered through public announcements made mid-afternoon on July 2, that Mr. Nylander had subsequently entered into a long-term contract with the Capitals." The Oilers have complained to the NHL stating they did not persue any other free agents as they thought that they had a deal with Nylander. Jul. 4 - 7:42 am et
Source: TSN.ca

Crosby is rumoured to already be talking contract extension with the Penguins for less then market value. He wants to win and he knows he'll be screwed if he takes up 20% of their cap space for the next 10 years.

Even if Syd got to restricted free agency there is no way in hell the Pens would let him go anywhere. They have a lot of cap room and would match any offer in a second, even if they had to buyout half their team to do it.

Nice thought though...:lol:

3rd line C? We need a 1st line C. But for now I could compramise and sign Peca to a short term deal.

As far as D: Ive heard us linked to a handful of players from Souray to McCabe (still) and further yet that we've tried unsuccessfully to get JovoCop to waive his NTC. Im predicting a trade coming and that it will be a us taking a short term bad contract (like Foote for ex who played for Nolan all the way back in the minors) or Fedorov who only has a year left on his deal.

McCabe's got a "NO TRADE" clause in his contract,but would probably drop it to go back to the Islanders.(where he was a captain):lol: How about we throw in Gill & Kubina.............any takers? please.:( Edmonton looks like they're forcing Buffalo to step up on Thomas Vanek $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

The Sabres matched the offer. I guess with the idiotic GM's in the league by the 3rd or 4th year of the contract he'll be grossly under-paid. Twenty mil the first 2 years and 6.4 the following 5. I'm not a fan of Fleury in goal for Pittsburgh but they better make a run while they have Malkin/Crosby/Staal because their is no way they'll be able to keep all 3. I'd be surprised if they could keep 2.

Buffalo just got hosed. I love it. Teams should play hard ball with each other. If I'm a gm I'm going to do everything I can to put the best team on the ice for my fans.

The thing thats wierd for me is I heard Buffalo would have gotten 4 1st round picks if Vanek left. With Vanek the Oilers would have still sucked and finished near the bottom and be in line for the Tavares sweepstakes which would have then been Buffalo.

Buffalo just got hosed. I love it. Teams should play hard ball with each other. If I'm a gm I'm going to do everything I can to put the best team on the ice for my fans.

The thing thats wierd for me is I heard Buffalo would have gotten 4 1st round picks if Vanek left. With Vanek the Oilers would have still sucked and finished near the bottom and be in line for the Tavares sweepstakes which would have then been Buffalo.

Under your same train of thought then Crosby or Ovechkin when RFA should be allowed to leave Washington or Pitt. Losing Vanek would've been a PR nightmare.

Teams gotta basically reach the 2nd rd of the playoffs to make money. So while spending freely is awesome from a fans perspective; it'll hurt the teams bottom line.

If Vanek got 7/50, what is Lundqvist going to get? I'm wondering if a team is going to give him a like deal and make it so the Rangers can't re-sign him.

I just looked at the Rangers cap situation and right now they're a little over 44 mil. Unless they shed money a team can essentially give Henrik the same offer as Vanek and the Rangers lose him.

Under your same train of thought then Crosby or Ovechkin when RFA should be allowed to leave Washington or Pitt. Losing Vanek would've been a PR nightmare.

Teams gotta basically reach the 2nd rd of the playoffs to make money. So while spending freely is awesome from a fans perspective; it'll hurt the teams bottom line.

If Vanek got 7/50, what is Lundqvist going to get? I'm wondering if a team is going to give him a like deal and make it so the Rangers can't re-sign him.

I just looked at the Rangers cap situation and right now they're a little over 44 mil. Unless they shed money a team can essentially give Henrik the same offer as Vanek and the Rangers lose him.

Crosby, Ovechkin and Phaneuf are all RFA's next year are they not.

It is going to be damn interesting.

Back
Top Bottom