The reasons Ogun is not signed....... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The reasons Ogun is not signed.......

well sec126, i hear ya, but i do think that spielman is keeping his doors open up to start of the season for a couple of reasons.

- a possible trade ala lawyer milloy were some team gets a player injured and they need someone bad and there is Ogun.

- Waiting to see what Otis Grigsby is all about. so far, it seems the kid is a replica of Ogun. Spielman is still defiantly saying he doesnt want to trade Ogun and i believe that to be true but the longer you hold out now, the more you will get from a trade. Either way we are in the drivers seat. Ogun will not sit out the season cus it would damage his career. rosenhaus will eventually bend. Spielman is playing both sides of the fence cus he doenst have to worry about him being in shape or the money cus he already has an idea about where he wants to spend the money overall and he wont bend cus time is on our side on this, not Ogun.

ZOD said:
It can't be the house thing. If he bought a 7 million dollar house the taxes would eat his @ss up.

Wait a minute :huh:

There are no property taxes in Florida :tantrum:

:confused:

Of Course there are property taxes in Florida......

There are NO STATE INCOME TAXES in Florida...maybe that's what you meant.....

Section126 said:

Of Course there are property taxes in Florida......

There are NO STATE INCOME TAXES in Florida...maybe that's what you meant.....

I knew it was one of them. :lol:

Well then he can't afford a 7 million dollar house. Sign the deal :D

ZOD said:
I knew it was one of them. :lol:

Well then he can't afford a 7 million dollar house. Sign the deal :D

Taxes on a 7 million dollar house in Miami are approximately.......$250,000 a year........:eek:

The reality is that the standoff has turned into a quiet battle of wills. The Dolphins want the contract done in their normal fashion, with some of the guaranteed money pushed into the second year of the deal. Rosenhaus wants it his way, with the money paid up front, and has been unwilling to budge.

The Dolphins don't appear to be angling for a trade, having plenty of money under the cap after Ricky Williams' retirement and plenty of need to keep the defense intact and strong. The Dolphins also have made it clear to Rosenhaus that they don't intend to trade Ogunleye.

link

Agents Drew and Jason Rosenhaus and the Dolphins have gotten closer to agreeing to a basic value of a contract for Ogunleye. The deal figures to be worth more than the deal signed by Green Bay Packers defensive end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila before the 2003 season.

The key to the Gbaja-Biamila deal was an $11 million signing bonus and a total of $13.25 million guaranteed in the first three years. Gbaja-Biamila will get a total of $15 million over the first three years.

The Dolphins appear willing to pay more than that over the first three years because they believe Ogunleye is better than Gbaja-Biamila. In addition, there is the normal contract inflation that goes with fair deals.

The problem for the Dolphins is that their normal contract structure on such deals is not to Ogunleye's or his representatives' liking.

Rather than pay a straight $11 million signing bonus, as in the Gbaja-Biamila deal, the Dolphins prefer to split bonuses over a two-year period.

The way that works, for example, is that Ogunleye might get a $6 million signing bonus now and then have a roster bonus of $5 million paid in March 2005. The Dolphins prefer that structure because it spreads out the salary cap ramifications.

The team has used it numerous times in contracts for players such as defensive end Jason Taylor and linebacker Zach Thomas.

link

Back
Top Bottom