The Running Back Debate | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Running Back Debate

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
Jay Ajayi had his moments with Miami last year and could emerge as a workhorse feature back. The Dolphins will probably bring in a one year stopgap to add depth as well. I really think Miami will draft a running back this year probably in the middle rounds.

Running back is one spot I haven't really looked at too deeply. I honestly thought Miami would bring Lamar Miller back, but obviously that didn't happen. Not sure how the front office feels about Ajayi.

Zeke Elliott looks like someone who could be elite. One of the things I like best about him is the effort in his blocking. Walter Payton was one of my favorite non-Dolphin players for the same reason. The guy blocked with the same determination as if he were running the ball. Going back further, same with Larry Csonka.

Derrick Henry is intriguing with his size and physicality. Henry absolutely took over games for Alabama last season and seemed at his best in the fourth quarter when it really mattered most. I think he is still developing as a receiver, but shows some ability there. Anyway, wanted to get thoughts on him. I've always loved power backs, guys who can get those tough couple of yards on their own.

Would it be worth it for the Dolphins to trade back up to the bottom of the 1st or early 2nd to get Henry?

Who are some of the running backs that you like, potential steals, guys who fit Miami's system?

Zeke's main appeal for a high pick is that he has the complete game, executes every play to the finish as drawn up. I respect that I feel he is justifiably the top rated back.
I like Henry tho because he is the attraction, you dont find backs like that often, 6-3 250 agile runs 4.5.

I like Elliott alot, if we dont draft him Id like to see us sign a cheap vet and then draft rb next year.

These are some of the backs that can be drafted next year....tons of talent...

Dalvin Cook
Leonard Fournette
Royce Freeman
Christian McCaffrey
Elijah Hood
Samaje Perine
Nick Chubb
Sonny Michel
Wayne Gallman
Jalen Hurd

I agree that we will most likely add a back in the middle rounds. and I hope it is a 4th/5th and we can find a good value there. Perkins, Prosise, other guys I'm sure too. I liked Ajayi last year, I bet we go rb by committee approach, and like you said SF, likely to add a veteran also- not sure who now at this point does it really matter though?

I think using a 1st/2nd/ early 3rd on a rb would be wasteful when we have other holes that we need to fill out with some talent

I like Elliott alot, if we dont draft him Id like to see us sign a cheap vet and then draft rb next year.

These are some of the backs that can be drafted next year....tons of talent...

Dalvin Cook
Leonard Fournette
Royce Freeman
Christian McCaffrey
Elijah Hood
Samaje Perine
Nick Chubb
Sonny Michel
Wayne Gallman
Jalen Hurd

Don't think Freeman belongs in that group, but it's definitely a much better class.

I'd be fine drafting Prosise in the mid rnds, if not just go with a late rnd RB + a vet + Ajayi.

Draft William Jackson lll at 13. This kid has it.

My guess is Miami could trade down a bit and get Jackson III or Alexander if the team wanted to go that way. A lot to like about Jackson III. I think his 4.37 was eye opening at the combine, especially with his size.

Too many other needs at 13 IMO to go RB... and I think Elliot will be gone anyway. I'd be thrilled with a combo of Ajayi, and either of the following two guys:

Kenneth Dixon, LA Tech

Davontae Booker, Utah

Henry is in play in the 2nd, Dixon in the 3rd, and after that, I'm looking to the 4th-5th range for complimentary RB's like Perkins, Lasco, Prosise, and Collins.

Not a great draft for RB's, but there are players who can give you quality snaps. I would not draft Elliot at 13.

It would have to be a guaranteed franchise back for me to use #13 on him.

The Fins have significant needs at more important positions.

Remember, the guy they are trying to replace was drafted in Round 4.

Back
Top Bottom