The Soccer Match of the Year Tomorrow (Fans Forbidden To Go) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Soccer Match of the Year Tomorrow (Fans Forbidden To Go)

Dolfan02

Somebody kick Huizenga for me
Reaction score
Tomorrow, Saturday Oct. 11, 2003 has been the long awaited date that will feature the final Euro 2004 qualifying-match between the national teams of England vs. Turkey. This match will allow the winner to automatically qualify for a spot in The European Championship 2004 in Portugal. The loser may still qualify pending a series of wins, such as a tie-breaker for a wild-card spot. English fans have been forbidden to attend the game which will take place in Istanbul, Turkey because of the incidents that occurred last time when these 2 teams met in August. Fans from both countries were taunting each other in the seats and English fans were seen as instigators, despite England winning the game 2-0 in Manchester, England. The FA (the international governing body of soccer) has sided with Turkish officials in not allowing England supporters to even enter the country. Turkish fans have also been warned not to cause any trouble by their government. England will be without 2 of their best players: Michael Owen-forward and Rio Fernindad-defender.

I wish someone in the US would show this game!!!!!!!
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=278806&cc=5901

They have the game on PPV. However, I am not going to order a game when I don't even care about either of the teams.

England fans were also forbidden to go to their game in Macedonia last month but a few showed up anyway.

Final Score:
England 0
Turkey 0

Beckham missed a PK but it doesn't matter since England only needed a tie to get into Euro 2004. Turkey will now have to play in a playoff to get into the tournament.

I just read about it on soccernet.com, it sounded like a hostile game despite ending up in a draw. Those Turks took it very personal for some reason. There was a scuffle that broke out in the halftime tunnel between both teams.
Hey Ice... I can't believe you don't like England? Those are the roots of soccer (and the US) :D

Originally posted by Dolfan02
I just read about it on soccernet.com, it sounded like a hostile game despite ending up in a draw. Those Turks took it very personal for some reason. There was a scuffle that broke out in the halftime tunnel between both teams.
Hey Ice... I can't believe you don't like England? Those are the roots of soccer (and the US) :D

I like their league a lot. It isn't that I "don't like" their national team, I just don't really care about it. For national teams, the team I like is the USA. There are players I like on other teams but I don't really like other teams.

I like them...Owen and Beckham are two of my favorite players.

Originally posted by Prime Time
I like them...Owen and Beckham are two of my favorite players.

People give Beckham so much **** but he seems like a cool guy. I think he is a bit overrated but I like him. He also said he would like to play in the USA one day. However, I do hate the club he plays on. :)

Beckham and Owen are also 2 of my favorites. I can partially agree with Beckham being a bit overly credited. BUT, he gets a lot of recognition from fans not because of how he plays but because of his profile. Chicks dig him and guys want to imitate him. But I still think he's a great player with leadership vision on the field, and one of the most accurate kicks.

I don't think Becks want to play in The States clubs but I know he wants to be the first international soccer player to break into the American market which no other person has done. I think he wants to do it by his mega endorsements and celebrity status.

I think the States should be like Turkey. Breed soccer players by training them in a secluded camp from the age of 4. Have them play their whole lives together and then become a powerhouse national team. Too far out? Well, Turkey did that.

Originally posted by Dolfan02
Beckham and Owen are also 2 of my favorites. I can partially agree with Beckham being a bit overly credited. BUT, he gets a lot of recognition from fans not because of how he plays but because of his profile. Chicks dig him and guys want to imitate him. But I still think he's a great player with leadership vision on the field, and one of the most accurate kicks.

I don't think Becks want to play in The States clubs but I know he wants to be the first international soccer player to break into the American market which no other person has done. I think he wants to do it by his mega endorsements and celebrity status.

I think the States should be like Turkey. Breed soccer players by training them in a secluded camp from the age of 4. Have them play their whole lives together and then become a powerhouse national team. Too far out? Well, Turkey did that.

4 is very young but we kind of do something like that in the USA. Many plays including Landon Donovan and DaMarcus Beasley went to the US soccer residency program in Bradenton, FL. Many of the guys from the U-17 World Cup team including Freddy Adu are currently involved in the program. Many of the guys who get caps on the NT have known each other since childhood because of this.

Back
Top Bottom