The UDFA thread... | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The UDFA thread...

Payne looks like a VERY low profile prospect. Years at Fresno St., then one year at the rebuilding Colorado.

I'd put his ceiling at 'hope he makes the PS'.

He is a phonebooth mauler. You could time his 3-cone with a sundial. IMO, he looks like another Lester Cotton who will compete only at RG, but I'd guess they want more mobile IOL for the wide zone at all three spots. He is about as far from the Brewer or Connor archetype as one could get.

This is fantastic. I'm totally stealing this and claiming it as my own.

Best of luck to the young man but he does not fit the wide zone at all, but especially at center. He is an immobile phonebooth mauler it seems to me.
I guess that’s probably why he went undrafted. We need some maulers. Hopefully they can develop him

I don't know either player tbh...but our scouts the last few years unearthed Needham, Kohou, and Bonner and word is they were pounding the table for McMorris.

There was video of him in his thread, looked adept in zone, and a thumper who likes to tackle.

Speed kills though...
Sorry I was about to eat dinner earlier and gave that short answer my friend. Yeah, I’d be lying if I claimed I was an expert on either player. Before the draft, I anticipated us getting a safety so I read up on the draftable guys and looked at some highlights. I posted this early in the draft but my sense is that I was underwhelmed by the safety class. I saw a lot of flawed guys.

I’d love to be wrong and I don’t want to bash any of our picks so I kept it general. But McMorris looked like a guy who was very pedestrian in all aspects. Like you said, Perry is fast and he looks like he’s got range and a burst to close. It was also reported that there was a bidding war for Perry which signals obvious demand for him.

Perry at least has a defining characteristic whereas McMorris may not have a calling card that makes him stick out. I could totally be wrong and that’s why I said “I won’t be surprised”. I said it that way on purpose to signal that I am in no position to make that call with a laughably small amount of info. I basically just explained my entire logic so it’s obviously flimsy.

I guess that’s probably why he went undrafted. We need some maulers. Hopefully they can develop him
Do phonebooth maulers serve a purpose blocking in the wide zone?
I would not think so, but then why do we have Cotton and Hines on the roster at all?

Here's what we did last year:

USC DL Brandon Pili (source) Illinois State LB Ezekiel Vandenburgh (source)Arkansas State QB James Blackman (source)Miami DE Mitchell Agude (source)Nebraska LB Garrett Nelson (source)Stanford S Ethan Bonner (source)Cal Poly WR Chris Doleman (source) Western Kentucky WR Daewood Davis (source) South Dakota OL Alex Jensen (source) UFL DL Anthony Montalvo (source) Oregon S Bennett Williams (source) Campbell TE Julian Hill (source) Missouri Valley LB Ezekiel Vanderburgh (source) Mississippi St. DL Randy Charlton (source) BYU RB Chris Brooks (source) Michigan State OL Jarrett Horst (source) SDSU C Alama Uluave (source) Jackson State LB Aubrey Miller (source)

We are down to Pili, Brooks, Hill, Vandenburgh, and Bonner.

Do phonebooth maulers serve a purpose blocking in the wide zone?
I would not think so, but then why do we have Cotton and Hines on the roster at all?
Well we’ve kind of ignored the oline throughout the McDaniel era. We’ve also lacked draft picks. Maybe they were dealing with what they had. But then why sign this “phone booth mauler” as you say?

Back
Top Bottom