The Update: Miami Dolphins Rushing Attack | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Update: Miami Dolphins Rushing Attack

The guy interpreting the Dolphin rushing strategy in the video doesn't seem to get that we have recruited Anthony Fasano (last year's best blocking TE in the NFL) for a reason and it's to help set things up for Jay Ajayi.

Nor does he mention Isaac Asiata, whom I think is a good run blocking addition. But the fact remains, our run weakness lies not in the tackles, but in the guards. That's why Asiata is such a big addition in my eyes. The DT's in our division are monsters. I'd say it's the best position across the board in our division, and we may have the best collection of them of any division in football. That means our guards need to be superior ...and last year they were not.

I liked what Tunsil did at guard last year, but he was learning the position and was a rookie, so he had his ups and downs. I disagree with Gase's assessment of Bushrod, who rarely had good games as a run blocker, but who was fairly solid as a pass protector.

To me our offense is primed to become more complete. I'm expecting DeVante Parker to have a beakout year. If he does that it changes the way defenses approach us. And if, by some miracle, Julius Thomas stays healthy and provides a good seam threat, then it really forces the defense's hand. If they flood the box to stop Ajayi, we will have Stills, Parker and Thomas all of whom can score against 1v1 coverage. If they sit back in a cover heavy approach, then we will be able to run the ball. As we become an offense that is capable of taking advantage of mismatches, I think we'll score more points, have more time of possession, make more 3rd downs, have longer drives, and get more snaps. That will help us in the 4th quarter to finish games if we can do that.

Also a more potent passing game will also loosen up defenses and keep them from stacking the box as much. Everyting will revolve around the o-line. Decent o-line play,, just a top 16 type of performance, and the sky is the limit for the offense. I would still like to add a 40-50 reception type of receiving running back, but you can't have everything. I think Drake could be a nice weapon out of the backfield , but I don't know if I see him in the Reggie Bush/Darren Sproles mold. Like Drake, WIlliams can get the job done too, but he's not the threat to take that dump off pass on 3rd and 12 and convert it to a first down. If the Patriots release either James White or DIon Lewis I would be interested in either as Miami's 4th back and a receiving weapon. As things stand Ajayi, Drake and Williams are good enough for now.

The video seems rushed. That guy still ran with the knee issue for Ajayi. Interesting point on the zone runs.

Loved watching Ajayi from that angle, though.

Nor does he mention Isaac Asiata, whom I think is a good run blocking addition. But the fact remains, our run weakness lies not in the tackles, but in the guards. That's why Asiata is such a big addition in my eyes. The DT's in our division are monsters. I'd say it's the best position across the board in our division, and we may have the best collection of them of any division in football. That means our guards need to be superior ...and last year they were not.

I liked what Tunsil did at guard last year, but he was learning the position and was a rookie, so he had his ups and downs. I disagree with Gase's assessment of Bushrod, who rarely had good games as a run blocker, but who was fairly solid as a pass protector.

To me our offense is primed to become more complete. I'm expecting DeVante Parker to have a beakout year. If he does that it changes the way defenses approach us. And if, by some miracle, Julius Thomas stays healthy and provides a good seam threat, then it really forces the defense's hand. If they flood the box to stop Ajayi, we will have Stills, Parker and Thomas all of whom can score against 1v1 coverage. If they sit back in a cover heavy approach, then we will be able to run the ball. As we become an offense that is capable of taking advantage of mismatches, I think we'll score more points, have more time of possession, make more 3rd downs, have longer drives, and get more snaps. That will help us in the 4th quarter to finish games if we can do that.

The talent at defensive tackle in the AFC East is something I've been talking about for a long time. It's why Miami probably won't be successful "on the cheap" finding offensive guards who are good enough to match-up.

I think Asiata is a step in the right direction, but I honestly don't know enough about Larsen to say. My gut is that Larsen ends up starting close to eight games at center, though. I don't mean that to be negative only realistic with Pouncey's hip situation.

Long-term, as in hopefully next offseason, the Dolphins will find another guard who can match-up with those defensive tackles that dominate in the division. A guard/center type could still be a huge need.

I can't stand when watching an "expert" break down anything, and then they say something that is erroneous, like "traded branden Albert off Julious Thomas." We also signed a free agent guard and drafted one, so if you are going to talk about be educated on what you are speaking on.

I always love watching Landry in the running game. He's like a version of Hines Ward. He loves mixing it up and hitting guys. Just look at the block he make on the 2nd running play the guy diagrams. Landry comes in from the slot on the right side of the screen and opens up that running lane. Pay that man please

Back
Top Bottom