There Is No Downside To Firing Roger Goodell | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

There Is No Downside To Firing Roger Goodell

Sons Of Shula

not a dull boy
☠️ Banned ☠️
Club Member
Reaction score
The shame of it all is that it doesn’t have to be this way. The shame of Roger Goodell’s “victories” is that is has completely blinded his masters to his faults, and to the idea that the NFL can survive—and survive comfortably—without him. Given the current state of both ratings and game quality, it’s clear (at least to me) that Goodell’s consolidation of power has had a hugely damaging long-term cost to football. A lot of people ****ing HATE this league, even if they like the sport of football itself. And the NFL didn’t have to become hated in order to be wildly successful. There is an alternate universe somewhere out there that features a Goodell-free NFL: a league that’s just as lucrative and popular as it is now, without a raging ******** in charge to piss everyone off. And I know this is could be OUR reality, because I just saw another league free itself from its own tyrant.

. . .

One of the great American lies is that profitability is the direct byproduct of ruthlessness. Donald Trump’s entire campaign is based on this idea, that success only comes by ****ing other people over. But, time and again, this theory has been proven wrong, and it kills me that the NFL—which is purportedly run by intelligent businessmen—doesn’t realize this. It kills me that, with ratings going into the toilet, they haven’t thought to blame their own leadership for it. As it stands now, this is a Neanderthal league with a Neanderthal in charge.

What is truly lost by replacing Goodell? Oh, is he some legendary hardass at the negotiating table? You can hire pretty much any asshole, white-shoe lawyer to fill the exact same role. Apart from squinting menacingly while bargaining, what else does Goodell do except botch suspensions and awkwardly hug draftees who will come to loathe him? There’s virtually no risk at all in replacing him. And the upside of hiring a good-natured replacement is staggering. For fans like me, it would be like walking out of jail. BREATHE IN THE FRESH AIR! BASK IN THE WARM SUN! Who knew life could be so glorious?

Full article: Firing Goodell

Always hated him. Watching Goodell get embarrassed by Kraft after being in his pocket all those years was glorious.

They'll just replace him with another politician so all the talk of giving him the boot is purely academic.

He makes the league a lot of money. That is his one and only job

He makes the league a lot of money. That is his one and only job

A deaf and dumb monkey could make the NFL money at this point. He's ruining the game and is a disgrace to the great commissioners of Rozelle and Tagliabue who did wonders to get the league to where it was before Roger Gotohell took over.

A deaf and dumb monkey could make the NFL money at this point. He's ruining the game and is a disgrace to the great commissioners of Rozelle and Tagliabue who did wonders to get the league to where it was before Roger Gotohell took over.

How is he ruining the game?

How is he ruining the game?

Have you been watching them? Gets tougher every season.

One big gripe for me is the coddling of QBs and the skewing of the rules for offenses to score more points. There was a period there where the nfl would make a ridiculous new rule every year in order to justify a ****ty call in favor of brady and the dark lord the season prior. (Sorry for costing you a super bowl Oakland, here's a tuck rule.) You can't even play defense anymore.

The product as a whole has gotten worse since he took over. If it goes on long enough, you'll have an entire generation that's used to - and prefer - the current state of the nfl and it will be much harder, if not impossible, to fix. Those last 2 sentences are fact.

Last edited by a moderator:
For anyone watching bills v hawks that debacle before halftime is goodell's nfl. Pathetic and inexcusable. Borderline unwatchable.

Saints' veterans Brees, Strief say growing mistrust is hurting NFL popularity

"We feel like [the decline in TV ratings] is a direct result," said Brees, who has been an outspoken critic of the way NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has handled controversial issues such as the Bountygate investigation of the Saints, the Deflategate investigation of the Patriots, and the Ray Rice and Josh Brown domestic violence investigations.

"I know the players don't have any faith in the way that things are conducted within the front office in the NFL -- certainly when it comes to any type of investigation, when it comes to any type of commissioner discipline," Brees said. "It's really kind of a joke at this point, unfortunately. And it shouldn't be like that."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...e-league-office-cause-decline-popularity-fans

Seahawks CB Richard Sherman: Ratings low because 'league isn't fun'

"Every other league you see players have a good time,'' Sherman said. ''It's a game. This isn't politics. This isn't justice. This is entertainment and they're no longer allowing the players to entertain. They're no longer allowing the players to show any personality. Any kind of uniqueness, any kind of individuality because they want to control the product. They want to control the messaging.''

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/11/04/richard-sherman-explains-nfl-ratings-decline

Mark Cuban in 2014: "I'm just telling you: Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. And they're getting hoggy," Cuban said. "Just watch. Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. When you try to take it too far, people turn the other way. I'm just telling you, when you've got a good thing and you get greedy, it always, always, always, always, always turns on you. That's rule No. 1 of business."

Back
Top Bottom