This Christian Ponder Nonesense Needs to Stop!!!!!! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

This Christian Ponder Nonesense Needs to Stop!!!!!!

justdev7

Rookie
Reaction score
Okay, I get that Christian Ponder had good stats at the senior bowl. He has some intangibles that are desirable. But he's got a bad throwing shoulder, a weak arm, and nothing really that special about him. Now the Ponder madness is spreading. Evan Silva of Rotoworld has Ponder going at #16 overall!!! I thought it was a joke at first but nope. See for yourself.

http://rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/37482/60/draft-2011-nfl-mock-20?pg=2

Okay you know what this guy Silva is a retard. He has Brooks reed going in the first round. I think we should just all ignore him and hope he goes away.

Tunaphish429: Hello Mr Ponder?

Christian Ponder: Yes, Speaking

Tunaphish429: You know the nonsense?

Christian Ponder: Huh? What?

Tunaphish429: It needs to stop..

The end

Don't blow a gasket or anything, yeesh.

What he has going for him is his ability to see the field and throw accurately with anticipation. That's a pro quality. And he's got a good enough arm, absolutely. When it's not injured, of course. There were games he played this year that he should have missed.

I'm a little concerned with his conservatism, decision-making, and of course the injuries. I don't tend to like guys that don't really improve through their final year. His TD/INT ratio improved but not his YPA, I suppose that's mixed then. No doubt he was working with some receivers that played clueless, had to deal with a ton of drops.

I mean physically, you could definitely make the case that he has everything it takes to be successful as a pro, and then some. His mobility and athleticism, elusiveness are just a step below the guys that would be talked about possibly switching positions to wide receiver. We're talking about a 6'2" and 229 lbs guy that runs a 4.63 (with a 1.57 ten yard split), 34" vertical, 9'8" broad jump, 4.09 shuttle and 6.85 cone. That's way more athletic than Davone Bess, for example...and yet he's bigger.

I liked him a lot in 2009, was really dismayed by what happened in 2010 with the injuries, some poor decision-making. Looked real good against North Carolina this year. Probably should have won that game. Was 21-12 in games he played significantly. Completed 65% of his passes for 7.6 YPA, 34 TDs and 15 INTs in his final two seasons. That's better than Henne did his final two years at Michigan, with worse weapons and more significant injury issues weighing him down.

I'd love Ryan Mallett but I think Christian Ponder is probably going to join that group of Newton, Gabbert and Mallett for me...become a 1st round guy.

I can't get with Ponder as a 1st round quarterback...

I can't tell you how many times I've gone back to revisit the film on Blaine Gabbert in an attempt to find out what it is I'm missing that makes him a top 10 pick, and I just can't see it... I just can't.

I try to find out what it is that makes him the #1 quarterback in this draft... again, I just can't find it.

I've done it numerous, numerous times... I've watched every single game he's played over the past 2 years. Every single one of them, and it's just not there. He's a 2nd round quarterback prospect with some borderline 1st round physical talent, and several mid-round attributes...

However, one thing that I can certainly feel more than comfortable with is that there is a clear, and distinct gap between him and Christian Ponder in my opinion... and I like Ponder.

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean the Christian Ponder talk in round 1 is just . . . blah . . . even up to the throw he had to Hankerson on the first TD in the Senior Bowl . . . that crap just lacked clean velocity that you would expect from a first round QB. I dunno, I have seen alot of Christian Ponder over the past few years and at times, he is brilliant . . . you can tell he is a smart kid, he makes plays with his legs, can make some real timely throws but then he can really make you say wtf as well. If he didn't have the durability issues, I could see the 2nd round . . . but I'm willing to let another team make him their QB . . . I don't even start thinking about him until I'm going over my list with the 79th pick (I'm sure he will be gone by then).

I mean the Christian Ponder talk in round 1 is just . . . blah . . . even up to the throw he had to Hankerson on the first TD in the Senior Bowl . . . that crap just lacked clean velocity that you would expect from a first round QB.

Exactly!!! The stats he had in the game were great. But watching it I was wondering how the DBs weren't swatting his passes down because they took so long to get there. you can make up for a lack of arm strength sometimes if you're smart enough and you have great chemistry with your receivers. But you can't win a Superbowl like that. Lets examine the last few QBs that won Superbowls. Rodgers, Brees, Rothlisberger, E. Manning, P. manning, Brady. None of those guys throw fluttery passes.

He's doing a good job of fooling me then. Brooks Reed is a good player but the first round? I don't think so.

Brooks Reed is getting a lot of attention from scouts right now. He's very athletic and he makes plays all over the field, had a fantastic senior bowl. Weirder things HAVE happened, than a Brooks Reed suddenly jumping up and being a lot better than most people expected. Ya know, sort of like how Clay Matthews turned out to be a lot better than everyone expected.

Brooks Reed is getting a lot of attention from scouts right now. He's very athletic and he makes plays all over the field, had a fantastic senior bowl. Weirder things HAVE happened, than a Brooks Reed suddenly jumping up and being a lot better than most people expected. Ya know, sort of like how Clay Matthews turned out to be a lot better than everyone expected.

That's true. Ya know, I wouldn't even be bothered by Ponder being mocked this high except for the fact that we know how our FO likes to draft QBs in the 2nd round. There's no way in my mind that Ponder will end up going in the first and if we trade back (which it sounds like we will) guess who will be siting there in the 2nd round. If we draft Christian Ponder I feel like it sets us back another couple years. We will probably have a chance to get Ryan Mallet and if we pass for Ponder I don't know what I'll do.

Someone tell me what makes Blaine Gabbert clearly better than Christian Ponder and I'll buy into it as "nonsense." Ponder was the #1 senior QB prospect before the season started. Ponder had to endure a lot of BS in his time here at FSU and he rose above it and excelled. This year was a huge disappointment but that's only because he was dealing with elbow issues all year. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like elbow injuries heal up much better than shoulder injuries for QBs.

This is a weak QB class so it is realistic to think that Ponder could go in the late 1st round.

That being said, nobody on here is a pro scout and so to act as if we know a lot more than these guys is laughable.

I'm disappointed he had some bad games this year where the injuries seemed like they might have screwed him up. I liked him a LOT heading into this year, absolutely positively had him on my watch list for 1st round QBs and he was one of the examples I held up to people on why I believed this 2011 QB class would end up good. And for all the 'disappointment' this year he still had like a 90 QB rating, 8-3 as a starter, 20 TDs to 8 INTs, had a superb game against North Carolina (at a time when the only two guys on suspension were I believe Robert Quinn and Marvin Austin), was injured in some other games.

I thought he came out and first off he looked like clearly the most impressive QB on the South roster in Senior Bowl practices, that was a consistent observation across the board. I think the surprise on the North roster was that Kaepernick looked as good or better than Locker, but that's no surprise to me because I think Locker sucks. In the game, even though every scout was saying that the North had way more stud talent than the South, the South won...and it was because of Ponder. You go back and watch that game, and yeah that first deep throw to Leonard Hankerson was ridiculously underthrown into the wind and the ball slipped in his hand (one of the things I didn't like about Ponder in 2010 was his propensity toward true 'WTF?!?' moments, stuff you shouldn't be able to screw up). Aside from that, the timing and anticipation on his throws, and the accuracy as well, were straight up pro. He was clearly the best QB in that game.

Would it surprise me if scouts that had Christian Ponder as the top senior QB heading into 2010 (and there were indeed many scouts that had exactly that) were to forgive some bad games played while hurt, look at the big picture, look at how Ponder is healthy, nailed the Senior Bowl, nailed the Combine, and then put him back in the 1st round where he initially started after his 2009 campaign? No. It wouldn't surprise me.

As to the specifics of his game that I like/dislike, I'll reserve further word on that for the results of the tape immersion that typically comes with a Draft Winds piece. I think this week we're doing Christian Ponder, so I'm going to try and really dig into him more than I have.

That's true. Ya know, I wouldn't even be bothered by Ponder being mocked this high except for the fact that we know how our FO likes to draft QBs in the 2nd round. There's no way in my mind that Ponder will end up going in the first and if we trade back (which it sounds like we will) guess who will be siting there in the 2nd round. If we draft Christian Ponder I feel like it sets us back another couple years. We will probably have a chance to get Ryan Mallet and if we pass for Ponder I don't know what I'll do.
You could go and do copious amounts of cocaine, thats what Mallet would do.

Back
Top Bottom