This worries me a lot... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

This worries me a lot...

Wanny is not that bad please I know people don't like him but he's not an idiot,you look at shula after 84 he never could put a team together could never get a good running game going that's without a salary cap and look at jj what did he do, I liked the fins in 2001-2 I hated the last two years specially last year with Ricky being the offence, Dave will open it up because he has no choice and there is strong receiving with Boston and CC.
The fins play in a very tough division ,last year everybody was talking about Dallas and the big tuna ( another genius) Wanny put a whooping on him that was something to see.
Solid game planning was shown there.
The pats with the best coaching in the NFL had a tough time beating the fins even without an OL and a bad QB.
Give the guy a break and support the team, if he doesn't get it this year then he should be gone.
WE are fans and this is what we have for this season.we should enjoy it

Fin13 wrote, in part,
Wanny is not an idiot
Care to know what the Bears fans would answer to that? He almost single handedly ruined their organization's chances for quite a few years. They actually just got back on their feet last year

KBISBACK said:
Most of you are grasping at straws here. Wannstedt's overall philosophy will never change. He's going to coach towards the defense, the running game, and play the field position game. There were drastic differences between the way Chan Gailey ran the offense and the way Norv Turner ran the offense, but it was overall the same philosophy. Things will be adjusted within the philosophy to achieve what the fins want to achieve, and what they want to do is control the ball via the running game and set up the play action pass. They do not under any circumstance want to become a team that completely forgets about the run and goes all pass happy like the Oakland Raiders were a couple of years ago. This team isn't going to become a ball control passing offense either.

This team will emphasize the running game, and why not? This is the most fool proof and proven philosophy in the NFL: run the ball, play defense, and win the kicking game.
I agree that's what Wanny will do. The question is does he have the personnel to pull that off. With the questions on the OL, no proven RB, and Chambers and Boston, it seems to me the wise thing to do is let Trestman attempt his magic and install a pass-oriented offense. He took Rich Gannon who used to be notoriously inaccurate and made him into a Pro Bowl QB. Fiedler has many of the same traits as Gannon. Who knows until you try??

Wanny is locked into his philosophy and must realize that great coaches adapt to their personnel at hand. Shula did so when he got Marino. If Wanny still tries his run first BS with no running game he is doomed to fail, and if anyone cares to remember, with Ricky last year at 3.5 yards a crack it wasn't too impressive anyway.

PT Jay is just not good enough. AJ needs to come through or it will be the same story. Missed playoffs.

GMP-AGAIN said:
Fin13 wrote, in part,
Care to know what the Bears fans would answer to that? He almost single handedly ruined their organization's chances for quite a few years. They actually just got back on their feet last year

The people who single handedly ruined the Bears organization are the McCaskey's, not Dave. When the McCaskey's took over owership of the Bears after George Halas's death, they proceeded to cut the scouting department to the bone. Much like Mike Brown in Cleveland, they appointed family members to football oriented positions instead of getting qualified football people into the mix. They ran off a good personnel guy in Bill Tobin after Dave's first season as the head coach.

Why haven't the Bears improved any since Wannstedt left? Outside of the one season where they made the playoffs, the Bears have been just as bad as Wannstedt's last two seasons. The lack of talent the Bears had at the end of Dave's tenure there is a bigger reflection on their diminished scouting department than it was on Dave's coaching ability.

Even when the McCaskey's made a good decision concerning the personnel department, they wouldn't pay the guys enough to keep him. They had the makings of a strong personnel department with Mark Hatley as the GM and with guys like Rick Spielman, Bill Reese, and George Paton in the ranks. Hatley left for Green Bay, Spielman came to Miami, and Reese went to Arizona.

Kencoboy said:
I agree that's what Wanny will do. The question is does he have the personnel to pull that off. With the questions on the OL, no proven RB, and Chambers and Boston, it seems to me the wise thing to do is let Trestman attempt his magic and install a pass-oriented offense. He took Rich Gannon who used to be notoriously inaccurate and made him into a Pro Bowl QB. Fiedler has many of the same traits as Gannon. Who knows until you try??

Wanny is locked into his philosophy and must realize that great coaches adapt to their personnel at hand. Shula did so when he got Marino. If Wanny still tries his run first BS with no running game he is doomed to fail, and if anyone cares to remember, with Ricky last year at 3.5 yards a crack it wasn't too impressive anyway.

Bill Parcells is a great coach, and his philosophy has stayed the same from the time he started as the Giants head coach till now. Vince Lombardi was a great coach, and his philosophy never changed. Both of these coaches also run limited plays, believing that it's better to run 5 or 6 plays extremely well than to be average at 20-25 plays.

KBIS thanks for your comments about the Bears org.
I think the OL more than anyone holds the key to the season, you saw what happen last year with Ricky.
So a good OL makes a RB look good ie. Denver.
Now we'll see how the new hogs holdout.
If they don't we'll have high picks next draft.

KBISBACK said:
Bill Parcells is a great coach, and his philosophy has stayed the same from the time he started as the Giants head coach till now. Vince Lombardi was a great coach, and his philosophy never changed. Both of these coaches also run limited plays, believing that it's better to run 5 or 6 plays extremely well than to be average at 20-25 plays.
And Bill Parcells always had personnel to fit his scheme. So did Lombardi. Right now Wanny doesn't.

I think we may beating a dead horse.... DW has always had a philosophy to be very conservative offensively... For the past four years of his coaching tenure we have had aleast two different OC's (Gailey and Turner), of which the same that emphasis of a grind it out RUNNING ATTACK don't make any mistake PASSING type offense. This style was proven to be very successful during Jimmy Johnson era at Dallas. The problem is we didn't have the personnel (Troy Aikeman, Micheal Irvin and Emmit Smith). The main ingredient that made that work was a big bruising OL. So the biggest issue aside from the departure of RW is still the OL. The Dolphins will never execute this style effectively until the OL comes around... So fans we must remain patient.

You all know how I feel about Wannschmuck. He'll never get it. He'll just NEVER get it.

GMP-AGAIN said:
Fin13 wrote, in part,

Really. The bears suck 6 wins is not getting back on your feet. If that's the case 10 wins would means we're on our horse. The bears had one good season since his departure. Wanny isn't the greatest coach we'll all agree, but he isn't the worst either. The bottom line as long as Jay is under center your play calling will be limited because his ability is limited.

Uggykurky said:
The bottom line as long as Jay is under center your play calling will be limited because his ability is limited.

Bingo! Norv Turner couldn't open up the offense and utilize the downfield passing attack because of Jay Fiedler's limitations. Jay was better under Chan Gailey because Gailey is a master at limiting his QBs reads and putting the QB in a moving pocket. When Gailey was the OC, Jay had two reads to make most of the time. If those reads weren't there, Jay was asked to run the ball. The biggest knock anyone can make on Chan's offense is that he utilized the TE and FB as blockers only. They were rarely involved in the passing attack. His system was basically one where he limited the responsibility on the quarterback by limiting the reads he had to make, but within this concept, Chan knew how to design and set up plays to get the guy he wants the ball to go to open. The rest was centered around the running game and a combination of Lamar Smith, JJ Johnson, Autry Denson, and Thurman Thomas in 2000 and Lamar Smith/Travis Minor in 2001.

The team will adjust accordingly. Chris Forester may not know Norv Turner's terminology as well as I would like, but he has worked with offensive coordinators like Tom Moore and Brian Billick in the past.

Back
Top Bottom